"diet" drinks a yea or no

Hevab

Only been diagnosed today and in wondering what I'm ment to drink ive been on slimming world for a whole and mainly drink sugar free soft drinks as there allows can I continue to drink them
Or not I'm
Diet controlled for now I no they say there's no sugar or carbs but been hearing things about that aspartame thing

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't worry about sugar substitutes such as aspartame etc as they don't affect blood sugar and none of the rumoured side effects seem to be proven yet. I drink sugar-free drinks where these are available.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi hevab and welcome to the forum.

I was advised by the dietician that the only banned things are full fat sugary drinks and sugar in hot drinks. You are allowed to drink diet sugar-free drinks.

Hevab

Thank you I always thought u could but the doc said not sweetend drinks which I took to mean sugar free ones lol

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Yes,
Sugar free is OK but be careful of drinks from a fountain rather than a can/bottle. They can be contaminated by carbs. :shock:

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FergusCrawford said:
be careful of drinks from a fountain rather than a can/bottle

Sorry to ask a stupid question fergus but what do you mean?

Are you referring to the water cooler in work places? I drink from it every day.

Grazer

Think he's referring to diet drinks that cone from the gun type thing in bars- "draught" diet drinks

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Grazer,
You got it in one! :lol:
The place where the wrong concentrate gets connected and you end up with a high BG :cry:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
FergusCrawford said:
Grazer,
You got it in one! :lol:
The place where the wrong concentrate gets connected and you end up with a high BG :cry:

Happens more than we will ever know! :(

Over the years there's been countless discussions on the forum about people being served ordinary soft drinks instead of diet versions in bars, restaurants and fast food outlets, I never ever trust them and opt for bottle or cans every-time.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wasn't aware of that. Probably because I never drank diet drinks before now!

This forum is so good and I am learning so much from it. From now on I will be asking for bottled or canned when I am out.

Thanks again for the warning.

Marina