Diet fizzy drinks

hornplayer

Going to test to see if fizzy drinks have an impact on my blood sugar. From reading here, I know that some people have problems with them. I'd stick with water but I'm taking a school trip to Paris for four days on Friday and I'd like more options.

Fizzy drink, for purposes of tonight's grand and daring experiment is Pepsi Max. :)

Also, is it true that you can use your blood sugar meter to test a suspiciously sweet "diet" drink?

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This will be interesting as I've been getting high evening readings for the past few days and, as far as I can work out, the only difference has been drinking a lot of ice cold diet coke [asda own brand].

If I get another high reading tonight I'll do my own experiment and stay on water tomorrow.

Do let us know how you get on :)

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
I drink quite a lot of Coke Zero (Coke Zero is for men; Diet Coke is for the girls; watch the ads :)) and I've never had any spikes from it.

I believe you can use urine testing strips to check drinks; they're much cheaper than blood testing strips, which would probably not work, anyway.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose it's ok if you buy it yourself, test it and know what you were drinking. I can remember a few posts on here where people bought drinks in a bar and specified diet coke. They got whatever the bartender had in the mixer machine at the time. I think one of them complained and got short shrift.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=37795

hornplayer

Coke zero tastes funny. I'm a Pepsi girl!

5.15pm blood sugar at 6.4. administered 200ml of ice cold Pepsi max. :)

6.15pm blood sugar at 6.2

Looking good! :) more at 7.15pm

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pepsi max :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

skonk

Cherry Pepsi Max! Up until a year ago, I was bad for fizzy drinks, then started drinking pepsi max. Didn't like it at first, but knew I couldn't continue drinking sugar filled fizzy drinks, and even though I drink about 3 litres of water a day, I still need something fizzy! Now, I can;t even touch fizzy drinks that have sugar in them. They taste like syrup to me. My tastebuds have changed and a 2ltr bottle of Cherry pepsi max will last me a week in the fridge, whereas a 2ltr normal pepsi or coke would last one night.

MSPADDY7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am Hyperglycemic Type 2 - I do drink diet fizzy drinks. I have found most have little effect my sugars except the coke type ones. They all seem to increase it except for Pepsi range. I can drink Fanta Zero, Irn Brew (diet), Sprite and quite a few others with no effect whatsoever. When I go to the pub and they only have the coke ones on I have tonic or soda with a splash of lime and am usually ok with that. Some pubs carry quite a good range of diet drinks so occasionally the choice is better. I also drink lager occasionally, but alternate it with water or a slimline and my sugars don't spike that much either as long as I remember to eat before bed

goslow12

Dislikes
Unfair people
Yeah I've never had any noticeable issues with diet drinks. Shame I can't say the same for alcohol!