Diet only - How long for (Years)?

bluestar

I have just been wondering, I was diagnosed of diabetes in May (type 2) and mu HBA1C was about 11,4. I have managed to control my diabetes with diet only and I am pleased to say that the HBA1C has gone down to 5.4. I would like to stick to the biet only if I can. My question is how long can I manage this condition without medication. I have never liked tablets but I am aware that at some point I will need them. :? :?:

Also the health proffessional wants me to go on the cholesterol tablets for future complications. My cholesterol levels are 4.4.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
bluestar said:
I have just been wondering, I was diagnosed of diabetes in May (type 2) and mu HBA1C was about 11,4. I have managed to control my diabetes with diet only and I am pleased to say that the HBA1C has gone down to 5.4. I would like to stick to the biet only if I can. My question is how long can I manage this condition without medication. I have never liked tablets but I am aware that at some point I will need them. :? :?:

No-one can answer that question. You have done extremely well to bring your HbA1c down to non-diabetic level so quickly. Few diabetics can achieve that, & it is very unlikely if they follow the "lots of starchy carbs" NHS/DUK diet. How have you succeeded? We all have a lot to learn.

Also the health proffessional wants me to go on the cholesterol tablets for future complications. My cholesterol levels are 4.4.

That may be a Freudian slip "cholesterol tablets for future complications." Many of us find that chol tablets [statins] do cause complications. I suffered intense leg muscle pains. My chol was 7.6 on diagnosis, & I got that down to about 5 by eating oat bran & the special margarines. A low carb diet reduced it further. 4.4 is a good level & you are unlikely to have cholesterol related problems.

My Dr is happy with that. My friend's Dr threatens [yes, threatens] her with heart attack & stroke if she diesn't take them. She does, & suffers muscle pains in the interests of avoiding the threatened trouble. I would rather have health & freedom from pain now, rather than take pills which would cripple me NOW, in the hope that they might protect me from a possible future condition.

StevieBoy

Dislikes
Rocket, Early mornings, DIY

I was diagnosed type 2 at the start of August. 5 years ago I had a variety of blood tests at which point my cholesterol was 4.3. The doctor was happy with that and told me I had low cholesterol. Upon disgnosis I was told that my cholesterol was lower than 5 years ago - 4.2 - but since the target figures had been changed from 5 down to 4 recently I was now seen to have high cholesterol.

Go figure!

anniep

The acceptible cholesterol levels for diabetics are lower than for non diabetics. So levels that were good as a non diabetic are not once you are, if you see what I mean.

My cholesterol is 4.1 and I have started statins because my doctor explained in a very sensible way to me, that apart from lowering cholesterol, statins seem to have a secondary effect for diabetics of prevent heart conditions/strokes.

Previously the practice nurse had just told me that I should be on them without explanation, but she is not very good at explaining anything as if you were not a moron really.

They are not perfect I am having some problems with night cramps, which I did have before but am now plagued with, my Doctor has agreed to try changing dose/tablet/dealing with the cramp before I think about giving them up.

I have agreed with this, as my diabetic mum had angina for years in her 60's and 70's and it effected her greatly, I want to preserve my active life as long as possible.