1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diet suggestions after 800 calorie diet

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Suestevewil, Oct 17, 2021.

1. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The most straight forward way to low carb is "real" food. Moderate protein (roughly the size of the palm of your hand is the usual easy measure, but you can work out the exact weight, above ground, leafy green veg, and enough fat so you're not hungry. Berries if you want fruit, full fat dairy. My biggest difficulty is "brain hunger" versus "stomach hunger and I found that the VLCD helped break that cycle

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Tannith

Tannith · BANNED

Whilst working out my calories for a meal today, I accidentally came across this online meal calculator: https://www.eatthismuch.com/?cals=1...source=etm_food_page&utm_medium=internal_link
    you fill in how many calories you want to eat for the day (probably calculated on the online BMR calculator) and in how many meals, and it gives you suggestions for a day's meals. You can even tell it what foods you like! I think this would be perfect for working out what you could eat on your maintenance diet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

Can you also add in the proportion of macros you would like? For example can you ask for not more than 100g carbs daily? I use my fitness pal to do this, but you do need to pay for the premium level to apply your own macros level

4. Tannith

Tannith · BANNED

This one is free.

5. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

Not what I asked.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. chani111

chani111 · Active Member

What is the gov 800 low calorie program? I have never heard of it. Sounds interesting

7. chani111

chani111 · Active Member

Diet suggestions, I like picky plates so blueberries, raspberries, boiled egg, cheese, olives, cucumber,some nuts, Parma ham, lettuce and one square of 90% chocolate. This is my favourite plate

8. Tannith

Tannith · BANNED

In answer to your question:
    https://www.england.nhs.uk/diabetes/treatment-care/low-calorie-diets/
    "The NHS Low Calorie Diet Programme is based on two studies.

The Diabetes UK-funded ‘DiRECT’ trial saw almost half of those who went on a low calorie diet achieve remission of their Type 2 diabetes after one year. A quarter of participants achieved a 15kg or more weight loss, and of these, 86% put their Type 2 diabetes into remission.

A more recent trial of low calorie diets, called ‘DROPLET’, has demonstrated similar weight loss in people who were obese."

9. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

And down to 36% after 2 years.. don't forget that part.

Remission here of course meaning "still possibly pre diabetic"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I just had a look at it. Yes, there is an adjustable low carb plan, and you can go down to 20g a day if you wish. It is higher fat, including sat fat.

• Informative Informative x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook