Diet?

Bellatrix

Could someone help me with a query regards specific diets for people like myself with T2 diabetes. I have been newly diagnosed and have cut out alcohol completely (was a heavy drinker at weekends) also cut out fats and carbs and doing more exercise and I have to my disbelief put on 2 kilos in 3 weeks is this normal? Thanks.

Sharon68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am certainly no expert and I am sure someone with a far better insight in to this will be along soon but I would say don't panic too much, sometimes a sudden change in diet can have a negative effect coupled with exercise (which always adds a bit of weight for me in the first couple of weeks) could have resulted in this gain. Just re-asses what you are eating, make sure it is balanced and healthy. :thumbup:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you have cut our fats and carbs? completely?

you may be putting your body into starvation mode, which is counter-productive and results in a fast regain of weight and slow weightloss as your body fights it.

Is there a medical reason for cutting both these food groups out?

I dont know how tall or old you are, but going under 1200 cals for a woman may well put you into starvation mode.

Also, muscle weighs more than fat, so the extra exercise may be putting muscle on.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends on what you have been eating usually. The media always say how good fruit is for example but eating a lot of fruit can lead to weight gain as it has a lot of sugar. Are you able to give us some insights into your diet?

Also, if you are exercising, you may be adding muscle weight. It is sometimes the case. Again, any insight?