1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diet

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by happy girl 1949, Aug 5, 2014.

1. happy girl 1949

happy girl 1949 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi I have been reading about vegan diets, can anyone please help me and give me some idea
    On what I should buy.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

3. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

Some people report success with Dr N Barnard's vegan diet . There have been some published trials of it for diabetes.
    There are quite a few details and recipes on his website.
    http://www.pcrm.org/health/diabetes-resources/
    His views are undoubtedly controversial ;because it's the polar opposite of a low carb diet, it is high but low GI carb/ very high fibre and very low fat, the author is also somewhat political and he uses the term 'reverse diabetes' in his book.

4. purplekat

purplekat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for linking Catherinecherub. The vegan recipes are mixed in with the vegetarian ones currently, so you'd need to look for them. I'm also not sure how easy it would be to veganise a lot of the cheese based recipes, having never used vegan 'cheese' but the recipes may give you ideas.

5. chris lowe

chris lowe · Guest

I have used vegetarian cheese (surprising how many restaurants insist a dish is vegetarian when it got ordinary cheese in it) and I found it a bit rubbery as opposed to the crumbly texture you can get with "normal" cheddar. I'm not vegan/vegetarian but have friends who are so I make dishes for them when they visit. To be honest, I find a full vegan diet terribly limiting (no dairy, no ordinary cheese, no eggs etc) but if you are doing it for ethical reasons like my friends, then I make an effort to find something suitable and hopefully tasty for them to eat.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook