diet

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
people with no sense of humor and take life to serious
can anybody give any advice on what sort of foods you should try to avoid roughly i have recently been eating bananas potatoes a lot of bread and seen an increase in my sugar levels i thought all theese foods were okay for diabetics

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Try to cut down or avoid ,Bread ,potatoes,pasta ,rice and all flour based products as these are all starchy carbs.bananas are also high in carbs.

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
thankyou for your advice i think that i have been eating a lot of the wrong foods and am now trying alternatives

forkhandles

carlos said:
can anybody give any advice on what sort of foods you should try to avoid roughly i have recently been eating bananas potatoes a lot of bread and seen an increase in my sugar levels i thought all theese foods were okay for diabetics

Hi carlos, i was told by my nurse to eat as much of this high carb food as i want, and all the time my bs levels were creeping up and up (19 - 22) since going low carb 4 days ago, my readings have dropped to 10, i have gleaned more and better info on here as i've ever had from the doctors and nurses, try it carlos, you will be pleasently surprised.

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
thankyou i am trying and have woke up today with a fresh outlook i am hoping that cutting all theese foods out and the meterformin will sort me out have already started today and my eyesight has dramatically improved cant see it being the tablets yet why do they tell you to eat theese foods all the time when they are clearly not good for you

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
why do they tell you to eat these foods all the time when they are clearly not good for you

Because that is what they have been telling diabetics since the 70's-80's and no one has ever questioned it,until now!!

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
like i said hard to belive that they dont tell you dramatically cut out carbs yesterday and do genuinley feel a bit better havent done a bs test yet might leave for a couple of days as i feel i am only just getting my head around am now at a loss what to eat and am looking at alternatives to toast and butties lol not saying i am okay but thankyou all for your advice

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
bad advice

thankyou for the advice have not seen a dietian yet was basically just given the tablets and told to come back in three months was infact told the only alternative to meterformin was insulin because my sugar levels were going up and up now i have had time to reflect and calm down am changing doctors asap before they kill me have started the meterformin and have took 4 and began trying new alternatives my bs were down to thirteen today after two meals within 4 hours although this is not brilliant it is better than the high 21 and hopefully if i carry on it will keep coming down????????from tjursday when i was stuffing myself with carbs carbs and within four days i have been given meterformin slow release and would ask again for some advice well changing doctors have been told to take one for one week two for one week then three for one week is this the normal dosage thankyou once agin for all your informaition so far

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Metformin can have unpleasant effects on your stomach to start with.This is why they tell you to start with a small dose and work up to the full dose.

Thirsty

Carlos, I'm surprised you were told that insulin is the anly alternative to metformin, that simply isn't true. Unless there are medical reasons why you shouldn't take them, there are plenty of other oral meds available, some of which are far more powerful than metformin.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Re: bad advice

carlos said:
thankyou for the advice have not seen a dietian yet was basically just given the tablets and told to come back in three months was infact told the only alternative to meterformin was insulin because my sugar levels were going up and up now i have had time to reflect and calm down am changing doctors asap before they kill me
Hi carlos,
It saddens me to say it but you are right to look for another GP. What this one has said to you unfortunately shows that he knows diddly squat about diabetes.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Postby carlos on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:29 pm
can anybody give any advice on what sort of foods you should try to avoid roughly i have recently been eating bananas potatoes a lot of bread and seen an increase in my sugar levels i thought all theese foods were okay for diabetics.
They are fine if you eat half a teaspoonful!
If you eat a whole one, you'll need a bucketful of medicine. That's the route the medics were advising for about the last 30 years.
I think the medicine manufacturers were teaching that course at medical and dietetic schools.
They didn't like the idea that we could cut into their profits by reducing our carb intake. I think some of the medics( gullible lot!) actuqally believe that low carb is harmful and that testing by T2 patients causes anxiety.
It's either the drug companies or the PCTs and the song has it "Money makes the World go around"

Trinkwasser

I wish you luck in finding a more proactive doctor. Your numbers are in the range where you will be suffering from "glucose toxicity" where the BG is high enough to keep itself high. It *will* come down but slowly, a much better plan would be to hit it with more meds initially which can then be reduced or discontinued later when it has come down into a range where diet and exercise along with the metformin will probably allow you to control it.

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
thankyou for your advice was started to get worried have just done a bs test and has come down to 8.1 1 hour and half after food have changed my diet immensily in the last week or so and have changed doctors got a new appointment monday just hope that with the new diet and tabs will be able to control this site and the info has relly opened my eyes

saz1

It's amazing what difference foods you eat make... You are making fantastic progress so keep up with it and the metformin. I'm only taking 2 x 500 mg per day and by reducing my carb intake radically have achieved non diabetic readings most of the time in 5 weeks... My spike now is about 7.2 but normally my sugars stay below 6... I was also told that this will be near impossible but all the success stories on this forum prove the professionals wrong over and over...

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
thankyou you yourself are doing fantastic and i wish you well it is really amazing like you said what a difference it does make had two pieces of bread this afternoon with my dinner and my sugars went sky high for three hours so this is one food i will be avoiding in furture or at least for the immeadiate future it is really amazing

saz1

I have been completely breadless for a while, then reintroduced 2-3 oatcakes or slim rye crisp breads back into my diet with no effect. Now I have tried Burgen soya and linseed bread (1 slice is just under 12 carbs) and my sugars were 6.4 at 1 hour and 5.9 at two and a bit hours so that is good news! Occasional toast is back in the picture... :wink:

I also have reintroduced Dreamfields reduced carb pasta into my diet on occasional basis (couple of times per months) without any significant spiking. I won't add more refined carbs in yet because I want to stay in control and as a carboholic it can be difficult... But I'm so happy with my progress and if I can do it, so can anyone!! :lol: Good luck to you too and keep up the good work!

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
thanks i have been shoping around and have found a loaf called hovis nimble this is only 8.1 carbs per slice and three slices of this are the equivalent to one slice of warbutons bread if this is of any help to anyone best wishes to all