Dietary control ONLY

GeordieBoi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
First of all (as a recent T2 diagnosis), why are the Docs so hell bent on prescribing metformin from day 1 (and probably statins and ACE too.....suggested from first consult !!). As a self confessed chocaholic. biscuit freak (also love chips, cream and cheese ;-) I have virtually eliminated these from my diet, adjusted it to reduce sugar intake (sweeteners in my coffee & checking sugar content in any processed foods) and have started paying much more attention to fat content (now get 30% fat or half fat cheese only). As a (former) Clinical Biochemist, I believe this should dramatically improve my BG and Glycosylated haemoglobin ?

Anybody got any thoughts or experience to share around this please ?

B

sandymaynard

Hi
Firstly, i was shocked at how high my sugars were!
I cut the following fully out, and havenot had any in months,
Rice,Bread and rolls,pasta,potatoes,cakes,biscuits,chocolate,
okay something i have found alot of the so called health bar's are worse in carbs than eating 6 mar's bar's in one go!
I can't eat tinned bean's,Tinned tomatoes, or tinned veg! Blood sugar goes through the roof!
Another thought on this one!
I don't use sweetners, any sugar replacement, stay away from the likes of robinson's fruit juices as these are loaded with sugar even the so called no sugar! I have found this to my own problems!
I have made alot of changers in the last few months, I have lost lot's of weight and been able to for the first time in ages feel human again!
Sandy

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi GeordieBoi,

That's a very good point.
In fact, the British National Formulary actually states that type 2 diabetics should be asked to use diet ( calorie and carbohydrate restriction) and exercise for 3 months post diagnosis before being prescribed oral meds. Even then, the meds are suggested as a supplement to the diet and exercise.
I rarely happens that way, unfortunately, as you've discovered.
The changes you have made should certainly help reduce your bg and HbA1c and it's certainly possible that they could get your numbers back down to safe levels if they cut out the sugars and starches sufficiently. Reduced fat options won't benefit your bg levels at all though. Those kinds of products often replace the fat with sugars or starches and can easily make things worse instead of better. Fat won't raise your blood sugar at all.

All the best,

fergus

markd

GeordieBoi said:
First of all (as a recent T2 diagnosis), why are the Docs so hell bent on prescribing metformin from day 1

There is some evidence that intensive management from day one *may* enable a return to normal sugar metabolism - coupled with substantial weightloss (if obese) - so long as it is done before too many of your beta cells are killed off.

One paper I read (from Japan, if I recall correctly) reported good results using intensive short term insulin therapy right at diagnosis, leading to normalised sugars after the insulin therapy finished.

Of course if you've had badly elevated sugar levels for a long time, this sort of approach probably doesn't do much good as you may be well past the tipping point of beta cell death by then.

From my own experience, I'm minded to give the idea quite some consideration.

Mark.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Geordiboi
The theory that intensive immediate treatment may put T2 into remission, has much to support it. However, I don't think Metformin can do this, It probably has to be insulin.
Metformin is a good medicine, however, and appears to be protective against several conditions.
I think doctors don't know much about diabetes. A good number don't distinguish correctly between T1 and T2.
If T2 isn't yet fully established and there is still a good level of beta cell activity, it may be possible to keep control by diet alone for a long time. however, the dietary points you make don't go in the right direction for that. The critical food group is carbohydrates.
Carbs contribute most of our blood glucose. Fats are no danger to the diabetic diet. In fact a low carb / high fat diet might be beneficial. If you are going to try this, you will need to use your meter frequently. Do you get strips prescribed?
Read round this forum, especially the "Stickies". You'll probably find all the tools you need