Dietician Stumped!!

Julie Jazz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my appointment with the dietician at the local hospital yesterday. I took along a diary of everything that I had eaten and drunk for the last two weeks with a printout of my BG levels uploaded from my Freestyle monitor.
My levels are still high and after studying my paperwork, she couldn’t understand why – i.e. 14.4 two hours after two Weetabix only with semi-skimmed milk! My readings range from around 7 before a meal to between 8 and 9 2 hours later.

I have avoided carbs for two weeks which I was told was not a good idea as I still have to have some so I had three new potatoes with my meal of chicken and broccoli last night – 2 hours later 8.8.
This morning I had 1 poached egg on Burgen toast with Utterley Butterley. BG went from 7.9 when I woke up to 10.9 2 hours after breakfast.
I’m sure I will get there in the end but it seems to be a very steep hill that I am climbing. I have to see the dietician in another couple of weeks to see how it’s going.
I found it was a useful appointment as I did learn quite a bit. Especially how to read nutrition labels.
My weight is still slowly dropping from 10st 8lbs in January now 9st 1lb (5ft 3ins) so I don’t want to go any lower. Sorry – bit of a waffle, just wanted to write it down.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
What were your levels like in the 2 weeks you avoided carbs?
Can you give some examples of carb-avoiding meals and results?

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
And if you check all your low fat product look at carbs/100g they take out fat and add sugar ie add carbs
look at the word carberhydrate not the breakdown under it.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Reading your food list other than egg chicken and broccoli all ok the rest would put me way up in the gods blood levels.
lf your dietican is stumped l doubt any of us are stumped

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Julie Jazz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What were your levels like in the 2 weeks you avoided carbs?
Can you give some examples of carb-avoiding meals and results?
Lowest averag is 7.8 and highest averag is 11.06 over 6 tests per day in the lst two weeks.

I can see the obvious spikes with Bran Flakes or Weetabix. But I wouldn't have expectd 10.3 ater 1 scrambled egg only. I'll just have to keep trying. I was give a list showing low, medium and high GI foods and it was suggsted that I could be sensitive to anything othe than low GI (?)

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I turned down an offer of an appointment with a dietician.
I simply followed the advice of the posters who have readings in the non-diabetic range and who low carb.

I am now one of them.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Julie Jazz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reading your food list other than egg chicken and broccoli all ok the rest would put me way up in the gods blood levels.
lf your dietican is stumped l doubt any of us are stumped
The majority of my food is salad, meat (grilled) and veg. I am now giving up on Weetabix and Bran Flakes. It was suggested that I try meusli (without added sugar) whch I will make myself. I really struggle to eat a cooked breakfast.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l would look at the toast not the egg as your culprit.
And veg and salad still contain carbs it depends on the item and amount you eat as to carb intake.
Museli again look at the carb content of each item and milk low fat has lot more carbs than full fat but even then full fat pretty high carbs.
Some good ideas in low carb forum for uncooked breakfast.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Some on here low gi the majority low carb and even low gi do low carb to some degree ...usual proviso you have no other health problems.
l would peruse the low carb forum.

The majority normal t2 on here tend to avoid dieticans as if they were bowls of sugar.

Reactions: 8 people

Julie Jazz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
l would look at the toast not the egg as your culprit.
And veg and salad still contain carbs it depends on the item and amount you eat as to carb intake.
Museli again look at the carb content of each item and milk low fat has lot more carbs than full fat but even then full fat pretty high carbs.
Some good ideas in low carb forum for uncooked breakfast.
Thanks. Ths morning was the first time that I have had bread (toasted or not) in over two weeks. At the moment it seems that whatever I choose isn't helping. This is such a minefield but I am sure tha it will come right in the end. I will check out the low carb forum as suggested.

Reactions: 3 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb breakfasts;

Boiled, poached, fried, scrambled egg.

Omelettes made to your own taste.

Greek/natural yoghurt - I add frozen blueberries the night before but any berries can be used or none if you prefer.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree that most dieticians are best avoided as they may not have a clue about diet for diabetics. You don't actually need any carbs as the body can derive the glucose it needs form fat and protein, but most of us choose to have some. How old are you? You are showing symptoms of being Late onset T1 (LADA) rather than T2. What meds are you on?

Julie Jazz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I agree that most dieticians are best avoided as they may not have a clue about diet for diabetics. You don't actually need any carbs as the body can derive the glucose it needs form fat and protein, but most of us choose to have some. How old are you? You are showing symptoms of being Late onset T1 (LADA) rather than T2. What meds are you on?
Hi Daibell
I was 60 in January and I'm on 4 x 500g Metformin per day and 2 x 40g Gliclazide. Someone suggested this on another thread of mine a while back and I checked with my Diabetic Nurse last Thursday. She assured me I was T2 but you never know. I will be due my second blood test in a couple of weeks so hoping my Hb1Ac level has dropped from the starting point on 101.
:nailbiting:

johnco

Julie Jazz, if your morning (fasting?) levels are over 7 then the problem is not what you are eating! (unless you are eating loads of fats the day before!!) but your meds. are not able to control your levels! Go back to the docs and ask for more help, be it different meds. or insulin. Regards JohnCo.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my appointment with the dietician at the local hospital yesterday. I took along a diary of everything that I had eaten and drunk for the last two weeks with a printout of my BG levels uploaded from my Freestyle monitor.
My levels are still high and after studying my paperwork, she couldn’t understand why – i.e. 14.4 two hours after two Weetabix only with semi-skimmed milk! My readings range from around 7 before a meal to between 8 and 9 2 hours later.

I have avoided carbs for two weeks which I was told was not a good idea as I still have to have some so I had three new potatoes with my meal of chicken and broccoli last night – 2 hours later 8.8.
This morning I had 1 poached egg on Burgen toast with Utterley Butterley. BG went from 7.9 when I woke up to 10.9 2 hours after breakfast.
I’m sure I will get there in the end but it seems to be a very steep hill that I am climbing. I have to see the dietician in another couple of weeks to see how it’s going.
I found it was a useful appointment as I did learn quite a bit. Especially how to read nutrition labels.
My weight is still slowly dropping from 10st 8lbs in January now 9st 1lb (5ft 3ins) so I don’t want to go any lower. Sorry – bit of a waffle, just wanted to write it down.
Hi Julie Jazz. Are you type 1 or 2? If you do a 2 hour test after a meal that reading is only a guide. As you're only on tablets ask to go on DESMOND. You'll get a lot of info on how to manage your diabetes. Not surprised that your dietician is stumped. She should know that certain cereals/carbs can spike you more than others and you should eat the same amount of carbs for meals/tablets. The 2 hours test can be very misleading as it all depends how quickly the tablets work on the carbs you're eaten. Better to test after 4 hours. On my DAFNE course I was told to test after 4 hours, I'm type 1. I used to do 2 hours testing before DAFNE and found out that most insulins take 4-5 hours to work so it might be similar for tablets??

C

catherinecherub

The best site to get G.I. information is the University of Sydney.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/index.php

Weetabix has a high G.I. but the makers claim that adding skimmed milk lowers the G.I.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/m...gy-claim-is-misleading-rules-asa-7998079.html

I would agree that it lowers it slightly but you need all food groups to balance a meal. Weetabix and skimmed milk do not have any fat and very little protein. If you had followed this up with a boiled egg or a portion of cheese you would have seen a difference.

The principle of low G.I. is relevant but you have to test to see if they are suitable for you as we all have an individual response to foods.