Dieting

carvell1

Hi,

I want to loose about 3 stone this year & was considering buying sliming tablets to help me. Can diabetics use slimming tablets? I find it difficult to loose weight as I tend to go low & therefore end up eating more to compensate.

Thanks,
Lucy

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not sure, if no-one replies I would ask your doctor. Diabetic or not, I'd avoid dieting tablets anyway.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
If you're regularly going that low that you feel it impacts your intake, then i'd suggest getting in contact with your diabetic team and seeing about your insulin.
Dieting tablets are not the answer.
Most of them are a waste of money and do nothing, a lot of them are downright dangerous.
Some of them contain tapeworms... you'll loose weight alright.

Talk to a doctor about your insulin and diet. T1's can diet, but it's all a balancing act.
Good luck

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
carvell1 said:
Hi,

I want to loose about 3 stone this year & was considering buying sliming tablets to help me. Can diabetics use slimming tablets? I find it difficult to loose weight as I tend to go low & therefore end up eating more to compensate.

Thanks,
Lucy

As a Diabetic you should not be buying medications for slimming, there is a prescription drug which can be given. See your GP and discuss this.

Another simpler, and cheaper way to lose weight and reduce Bg levels, is to reduce carbohydrate consumption and portion sizes. Couple that with 30 mins moderate exercise each day. That should work a treat ! I lost over 5 stone since January 2009 using that method.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi ya, I lost 3 stone with Weight Watchers! it allows you to follow a normal eating regime, not low carb (unless you prefer to be low carb!) and the choices are endless. and the weight stays off as you learn a different way of eating for life.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Debloubed said:
Hi ya, I lost 3 stone with Weight Watchers! it allows you to follow a normal eating regime, not low carb (unless you prefer to be low carb!) and the choices are endless. and the weight stays off as you learn a different way of eating for life.

All very nice and good for you, well done. :)

What everybody who goes on these diet plans need to check is the carb content of the foods....some of them even for Diabetic's are VERY high in carbs. If you are on Insulin then obviously you can cover those carbs. If not you need to be careful as carbs, as we all know convert 100% to Glucose, not the ideal situation if your Bg levels are elevated to start with.

I lost 5 stone just by reducing my carb content and portion sizes.
Without ANY cost to me at all...... :D

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
cugila said:
Debloubed said:

All very nice and good for you, well done. :)

What everybody who goes on these diet plans need to check is the carb content of the foods....some of them even for Diabetic's are VERY high in carbs. If you are on Insulin then obviously you can cover those carbs. If not you need to be careful as carbs, as we all know convert 100% to Glucose, not the ideal situation if your Bg levels are elevated to start with.

I lost 5 stone just by reducing my carb content and portion sizes.
Without ANY cost to me at all...... :D

Hi, sorry, need to explain further, WW isn't just pre-packaged food, if you follow the regime you eat normal food that everyone else eats, fruit, veg, pasta, bread, etc, etc and if you follow the no count version rather than the points version you have a huge list of foods (none of them processed!) that you can choose from to cook healthy meals. No extra cost involved at all! The only expense is if you choose to go to meetings to be weighed, which is a personal decision (not one I went for as I have digital scales at home). So, you can low carb, high carb, or no carb, whatever suits you and your needs!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Thank you very much for that DB. Very informative.

I looked a while ago and saw that it costs nearly £30 for 3 months membership :shock: , or am I mistaken then ? At that rate it is a VERY expensive diet, especially for those on low incomes.

The only people I ever met who used WW all had good results for a while then ended up back with the weight again. Obviously it will work for some, but if you are carb intolerant then you MUST check the carb content. It is very important.

Trouble is not ALL Diabetic's can metabolise carbs properly, hence the warning to check the carb content of everything. There are many people on here who couldn't tolerate things like breads, pasta, rice etc. I was like that until very recently but after 5 stone weight loss can now tolerate small amounts of those foods. That's what a low GI/GL diet can do for you.

We are all different and there is no one size fits all. :wink: Isn't human life wonderful..... :D

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
cugila said:
Thank you very much for that DB. Very informative.

So there is no cost for the online versions or to get the WW food plans then ??

I wouldn't know how much WW charge as I researched various diets to lose my baby weight and decided on WW based on recommendations from various people I know and used the information they had so I didn't have to pay a penny for the food plans. If you join the website you can use it for free for approx 10 days and then cancel your membership, again completely free. I didn't need the support network that some people need so it worked for me this way. As for gaining it back, 10 years on and not so much as 1 lb gained yet, just lots more delicious recipes from their website (you can view recipes without joining :) I don't eat pre-packaged meals as I find them cheaper to make from scratch and just as quick, but I also know people who use the WW 'points' system who find the pre-packaged meals a big help (going back to Carvell1's original question).

cugila

Master
Dislikes
The post quote you used was edited prior to your post, Sorry if it has confused you. I changed it !

All very good DB, what about the carbs question ? I'm presuming here that you do count them ?

Weight Watchers as the name implies is a weight loss programme, not a course for Diabetic's. I have checked out the costs, I have also checked out the carb content. However for those who are not interested in carbs I suppose it could be a good idea....... :?

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
cugila said:
The post quote you used was edited prior to your post, Sorry if it has confused you. I changed it !

All very good DB, what about the carbs question ? I'm presuming here that you do count them ?

Weight Watchers as the name implies is a weight loss programme, not a course for Diabetic's. I have checked out the costs, I have also checked out the carb content. However for those who are not interested in carbs I suppose it could be a good idea....... :?

yes, it is a weight loss programme, which is why I used it to lost my baby weight?! but anyone can use it if you are sensible, as with most eating plans or programmes to lose weight. I do count carbs yes, so pasta, breads, rice etc which can be included in any diet programme if the portion sizes are managed. WW offer a 'no count' plan (which has nothing to do with counting carbs!) which means any pasta or rice can be included as part of your weight loss plan as long as the portions are controlled. the plan is based around normal, home cooked meals so you can have them with or without carbs, it is up to the person eating them! I wonder if my no count comments have confused you? apologies, I mean no count WW points not carbs!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
DB.
Confused.....no. Why would you think that ?

This might be in the T1 forum but it is read by all Diabetic's on this forum. There are many here, T1 and T2 alike who CANNOT tolerate a lot of carbs. I know many T1's who reduce their carbohydrate intake, along with many T2's as that then means they can usually reduce their Insulin intake as well. This seems a sound proposition to me.

So anything that advocates eating these type of carbs which promote elevation of blood glucose levels is not recommended. Nobody is asking anybody to low carb, perhaps you are getting confused We just want people using whatever diet to take note of them as they can and do elevate BG levels.
It would be remiss of us here to seem to be advocating a free for all with the carbs, which WW seems in some cases to offer.

I am sure most people are sensible enough to read the information and make their own minds up about whether it is a good idea or not. Personal opinion here.....not good for Diabetic's. :(

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
cugila said:
DB.

:(

ok, just me who's confused then! I must be missing the point about type 1's, 2's, low carb etc, my WW comments were just to advise a fellow forum member who was looking for pills to lose weight that there are alternatives, ie: healthy eating which the WW plan is? as I've said, you can low carb or no carb with WW, whatever suits you so it should suit anyone, diabetics included.

Would you mind telling me where WW promotes carbs which elevate BG levels? I am searching and searching and can't find a thing! thanks.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Debloubed said:
cugila said:
DB.

ok, just me who's confused then! I must be missing the point about type 1's, 2's, low carb etc, my WW comments were just to advise a fellow forum member who was looking for pills to lose weight that there are alternatives, ie: healthy eating which the WW plan is? as I've said, you can low carb or no carb with WW, whatever suits you so it should suit anyone, diabetics included.

Would you mind telling me where WW promotes carbs which elevate BG levels? I am searching and searching and can't find a thing! thanks.

DB.
OK. I'll try and help you out here. I'll save you searching.

The main carbs to avoid or reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such a bread, potatoes, pasta and rice also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

WW are not actively promoting 'starchy carbs' but they ARE including them in their dietary plans and advice. OK for some as I said earlier, but for many Diabetic's they are not a good idea even when the portions are small. Read some of the posts around here where people tell of the results from eating just small amounts of these foods. Surprising sometimes what you see. I know of a T1 who tried one of these starchy carbs as WW advise....he was shocked to find after 2 hrs that it gave him the highest Bg reading he had ever had. :shock:

This was the OP's post which specifically asks about slimming pills. That was answered earlier as there are prescription drugs available. Then somehow, we began our little discussion, amazing how threads develop and evolve don't you think. Loads of information for Newbies and Oldies alike !

I am sure the OP has been suitably advised and maybe educated by our little discussion as well as some of the other members here, be they T1,T2, T1.5 etc. :)

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
cugila said:
Debloubed said:
cugila said:
DB.

DB.
OK. I'll try and help you out here. I'll save you searching.

The main carbs to avoid or reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such a bread, potatoes, pasta and rice also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

WW are not actively promoting 'starchy carbs' but they ARE including them in their dietary plans and advice. OK for some as I said earlier, but for many Diabetic's they are not a good idea even when the portions are small. Read some of the posts around here where people tell of the results from eating just small amounts of these foods. Surprising sometimes what you see. I know of a T1 who tried one of these starchy carbs as WW advise....he was shocked to find after 2 hrs that it gave him the highest Bg reading he had ever had. :shock:

I am sure the OP has been suitably advised and maybe educated by our little discussion as well as some of the other members here, be they T1,T2, T1.5 etc. :)

ok, gotcha! guess I am just lucky that carb counting works for me :D (although I have to point out that I was virtually zero carbing when I was losing the weight on the plan so no starchy carbs for me back then, although I do eat them now :p )

cugila

Master
Dislikes
DB.
Glad we have that clear now. I think we need to move on, I've been neglecting my other duties.

Thanks for the chat.... :D

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
no worries, you crack on! My working day is done :D