Dietitian Meeting!!!

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
We all know the drill I suppose; there are loads of examples of really poor advice given by dietitians in the NHS and today I had my first meeting with a dietitian for maybe a decade.

It was outrageous!

The dietitian completely agreed with me on low-carbing!!!

I fell off my seat. He was absolutely great; he said "I'm here to try and help you maintain the best glucose profile you can get; what ever works with you is great."

I said "I try and eat less than 30 grams a day." He said "Let's talk about your blood sugar levels on a good day."

Wow - so I humbly apologise for my general dietitian disdain - it's not founded, there's at least one who's happy to adapt his advice to what you want to eat.

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 39 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
We all know the drill I suppose; there are loads of examples of really poor advice given by dietitians in the NHS and today I had my first meeting with a dietitian for maybe a decade.

It was outrageous!

The dietitian completely agreed with me on low-carbing!!!

I fell off my seat. He was absolutely great; he said "I'm here to try and help you maintain the best glucose profile you can get; what ever works with you is great."

I said "I try and eat less than 30 grams a day." He said "Let's talk about your blood sugar levels on a good day."

Wow - so I humbly apologise for my general dietitian disdain - it's not founded, there's at least one who's happy to adapt his advice to what you want to eat.

Best

Dillinger
Sounds like the reaction the one I spoke to at Guy's had, only she also asked whether I was taking Protein into account in my bolusing!!!!!!! :wideyed:

Reactions: 6 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Have to admit I have a brilliant dietician!! Shes really up to date with 'diabetes thinking' and she ASKS me what I think suits me better in relation to my diet/blood sugar control. Shes even argued with the GP on my behalf!!!

Reactions: 4 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great to hear @Dillinger - refreshing indeed! Have to admit my Dietician was interested in reading the 'eat fat' book & was open to new ideas.

Reactions: 2 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine was so impressed with the food I told her I was eating, as well as the 5 kg I'd lost by then (in about 3-4 weeks), she told me to continue what I was doing. I was discharged, but I wonder what she'd say now after 22 kg down :)

Reactions: 7 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
going to add to the "there are some good uns" out there.
My Dietician has been assisting in my weight loss attempts and has advocated my use of a lowish carb diet ( compared to my last 42 years)
I now consume between 60 -110 carbs per day and have her full approval.
I have lost 10 lbs so far since september 1st

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dietician, Diabetes Nurse, I must be living in a parallel universe. Neither of these are offered in my neck of the woods.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine was so impressed with the food I told her I was eating, as well as the 5 kg I'd lost by then (in about 3-4 weeks), she told me to continue what I was doing. I was discharged, but I wonder what she'd say now after 22 kg down :)
Congratulations I'd hope !

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Dietician, Diabetes Nurse, I must be living in a parallel universe. Neither of these are offered in my neck of the woods.
I've got a good DN (now) but have never been offered an appointment with a Dietician which is odd because other T2s registered with my GP have been referred to the Dietician on diagnosis.

M

mrspuddleduck

I've got a good DN (now) but have never been offered an appointment with a Dietician which is odd because other T2s registered with my GP have been referred to the Dietician on diagnosis.
In my area you are only referred to a dietician if you have a specific problem, for example in my case it's because I'm very underweight. Sue xx

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I asked to see a dietician to try to help me put weight on , the first one was very helpful and respected my lower carb diet but she was replaced and the new one sacked me ! I think she only knew how to help people to lose weight !
CAROL

M

mrspuddleduck

I asked to see a dietician to try to help me put weight on , the first one was very helpful and respected my lower carb diet but she was replaced and the new one sacked me ! I think she only knew how to help people to lose weight !
CAROL
Oh Carol Ive been there!! The one before my current one kept telling me to eat more fats, carbs and chocolate! I have malabsorption as well as diabetes, had to explain to her if I followed her diet I would die!!! Sue xx

hc8811

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have to admit I have a brilliant dietician!! Shes really up to date with 'diabetes thinking' and she ASKS me what I think suits me better in relation to my diet/blood sugar control. Shes even argued with the GP on my behalf!!!

where are you based? would you be able to give me the details of your dietitian?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I reckon we'll all have to move next door to @Dillinger.:p

I've never been offered an appointment with a dietician, but I did get sensible advice initially from my GP.

Robbity