Different meters--- different results!

whatdoesthisbuttondo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As i only get strips prescribed twice a year ( its better than some, I suppose!) I have bought the code free Meter and am currently using both meters at the same time to asses the differences in readings. I'm surprised at the results though.....anything up to 0.6 higher with the codefree against the prescribed freestyle lite. Its going to be some time before I get the confidence to trust it!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's quite normal to have different readings on both meters, it not often you'll get the same reading twice using the same meter, they can be as much as +/- 15% out in their accuracy.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not unusual at all. However, there have been a couple of dodgy batches of Codefree strips recently. Several of us have noticed some wild readings creeping in, some lower, some higher, but not with all strips, just some of them. This does make it difficult to trust at times, but better higher than lower for non-insulin users as we are only testing trends.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I recently got a reading of 6.3mmol/L with a Glucomen LXplus, -this is the meter that the hospital gave me and the one I normally use. I then got a reading of 8.4mmol/L with a different manufacturers meter (forget the name) on the same finger immediately afterwards. So depending on whether you're counting up or down this difference is in the region of 25% to 30%.
I am concerned that if an error of this magnitude was repeated lower down the scale it is the difference between being safe and/or on the verge of a hypo (and technically not fit to drive a vehicle.)
When I tried to discuss this with medical people they did not seem surprised and told me that BG testing only gives an instant snapshot of the blood in your finger at that point in time. By the time I did the second test that 'bit' of blood had disappeared up my arm and been replaced by blood with a different glucose concentration.
I would have expected blood to give the same reading (within the limitations of the measuring device) when taken from anywhere in the body. Do you guys think the explanation is valid or is it a bit suspect?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the "true" reading was 7.4 then both your readings are within 15%. You can get similar readings with the same meter & the same drop of blood!
All very frustrating I agree.

It's probably best to settle on one meter & get to know how it works for you.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Interesting point DunePlodder - I hadn't thought of taking an average.
It makes a bit of a mockery of the DVLA insisting that one has to be above 4 to drive though.

Reactions: 2 people