1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Different Metformin Tablets?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Cultivator, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Cultivator

Cultivator · Active Member

Hi,

Has anyone else had a change of tablets and an increase in ''gut issues' recently? After years on little oval metformin tablets from a box with a turquoise circle shape on, my surgery has started dishing out round tablets in a grey/yellow box which are a totally different kettle of fish. My friend has had the same reaction to them as I have - although the diabetic nurse insists 'they are the same'
    I haven't been able to find the workds 'slow release' anywehre on either packet ... do the SR ones say so somewhere? These new ones are definitely not 'slow release' in one respect at least :p :oops:

2. ))Denise((

))Denise(( Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I changed my pharmacy when I kept getting different brands all the time. Mine have always been round, but they were a different generic type each time and I found there was a difference in them. Less problems with the brand I get from the pharmacy I changed to,

3. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. The SR version always say SR and as there are only a few brands you don't tend to change so often.

4. Hobs

Hobs Type 2 · Master

Read the patient information leaflet that comes in the pack. That should give all the info about the tablets.

5. prwilson

prwilson · Active Member

I seem to get several different brands of Metformin, I've always presumed the chemist shops around and they're what he can get the best deal on. I've not noticed any difference between brands.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook