different types of metformin

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I started out with metformin 3x 500mg, and on the box it says,

metformin chlorhydrate 500mg "quantity corresponding to 390mg of metformin base".

After a bad case of the metformin quick step and not being able to trust a fart, I refused to take anymore, and my doctor changed them to 2x 700mg. and on the box it says,

metformin embonate 700mg "quantity corresponding to 280mg of metformin base". name of the company is Merck Serono the tablets are called Stagid 700mg.

I cannot find anything out about the difference between these two. has anyone heard of them before?

Oh, and everything seems to have settled down around the back end.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see from your other post that you are in France, it seems that from a Google search of Stagid, lots of pages come up in French, so I can only assume that the tablets are more likely to be prescribed in France. The only French I know is what I learnt at school, so didn't bother trying to find out what the pages said.

The usual metformin in the UK is metformin hydrochloride. I take Glucophage SR which is a slow release version, kinder on the stomach.

Andre Dubois

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being diabetic :(
Hello,

I too have just been prescribed Stagid (also living in France) - Also have bad side effects from standard Metformin despite determination! Lets see if it has the same catastrophic effect on my digestive system - I was told to start once a dat after a meel to start with for the first 3-4 days then twice and so on........ looking forward to the weight loss side effect as since prescribed insulin 7 months back, I have gained 10kg despite exercise and cutting out almost completely sugar based foods from my diet....... Will keep you posted....