Disability Allowance

kingkai

Hi there Everyone.

I went to my Job Centre last week to hand in my Jobseekers Allowance form as I got paid off 2 wks ago.
The lady said to me do you know you can claim Disablity Allowance.
I am an Insulin Dependant Type 1 Diabetic but my control is ok and doesn't affect my ability to Work.
Is there anybody who claims this, how much is it you get?

Thanks

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
kingkai said:
I am an Insulin Dependant Type 1 Diabetic but my control is ok and doesn't affect my ability to Work.
Is there anybody who claims this, how much is it you get?

Thanks
DLA has nothing to do with the ability to work. It is about the care you may need. Do you need someone to watch over you for instance incase you have a hypo? That is just one example. Maybe you need help with injections/medication etc
There are different rates of DLA, a care component and a mobility component. They both have different rates too.
Care component - low, middle and high rate
Mobility component low and high rate

You do not necessarily have to be receiving any care from anyone else, just have a need for it.
If you do consider applying for DLA, please be sure that you see someone experienced in filling in DLA forms, such as a welfare rights worker or Citizens Advice.
Also do not assume that a decision maker will already know the care/help you may need. You need to put as much info on the form as possible.
Also remember that Job Centre staff are not necessarily experienced in DLA.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeo ... G_10011925

http://www.benefitsnow.co.uk/questions/ ... stions.asp

http://www.doonhamer.f2s.com/forum/index.php

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I say "there is no harm in claiming" because what's the worst they could say "No" you either will gain or lose. I claimed because I have RA and got lower rate care because I need help from my husband to help cook and carry stuff, I am sure if you need help with someone to watch over you in case you go hypo etc...but you would need to back it all up with medical evidence, I had to get a consultant to write to the DLA office.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hi,
i do get dla, none of it is due to having diabetes, the only way u get it is if you are disabled through diabetes hense the name :D hope this helps

jopar

I think that you may be disappointed...

I've now been looking for work and recieving JSA since just before christmas and no mention form Job Centre of any entitlement to DLA.. I did try to claim DLA as I have to other medical conditions that effect what work that I can do, along side effects my day to day life. But nope can't get any!

But apply see what they say, our benefit system is very fickle system indeed, and it seems that there is a ryhme or reason to who gets benefits and who doesn't it's more of a luck of the draw, and not whether you are actually entitled to benefit or not!!

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello my 8 year old son is diabetic and we do get disability living allowance the nurses told me i could get it but we only get it until he is 13 so this maybe why the person at the jobcenter got confused we also get carers allowance as well which is all a big help as it meant i could cut my hours and get a job in my sons school at lunchtimes to be there to help him get through this tough time hope this helps

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
oh ok hun thanx didnt know that i thought i lost it at 13 for good so good to know we get it for a few more years after its very helpful

callumsfather

Hi
My son is two and a half and T1 for a year now, we were granted DLA and we recently also applied and got Carers Allowance as long as my wife does not work more than a certain amount of hours a week. You are entitled to it.
Again a long form but worth it.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
its only allowed for children unless u have severe complications :?

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I also get Disability Living for type 1 diabetes, as far as im aware as long as you have type 1 you can claim BUT because of there crack down some people may have to appeal the decision (i think its to see if you are in need of it cos unfortunatly there are people who try it on and ruin it for the people who really need it)

Good Luck

Tracey167

A

Anonymous

ams162 said:
hello my 8 year old son is diabetic and we do get disability living allowance the nurses told me i could get it but we only get it until he is 13 so this maybe why the person at the jobcenter got confused we also get carers allowance as well which is all a big help as it meant i could cut my hours and get a job in my sons school at lunchtimes to be there to help him get through this tough time hope this helps
You would also be entitled to The Family Fund this helps people with disabled children and teenagers with things that DLA won't cover, like holidays, driving lessons and computers and internet etc...
http://www.familyfund.org.uk/