Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
Hello
I have always used the first drop of blood when testing my blood glucose.
I have been given a new meter and they say on there site to

Is it correct to discard the first drop of blood?

Yes

So I did this this morning and what a difference it made!:confused:
1st sample at 0928 was 10.7
2nd sample at 0929 was 13.5
these are both before breakfast samples and I have taken my background Insulin but when it comes to me having breakfast and needing my Bolus which should I do regarding 1st or 2nd drop???
I have left a message for my DN

Regards
Linda

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
I have always used the first drop of blood when testing my blood glucose.
I have been given a new meter and they say on there site to

Is it correct to discard the first drop of blood?

Yes

So I did this this morning and what a difference it made!:confused:
1st sample at 0928 was 10.7
2nd sample at 0929 was 13.5
these are both before breakfast samples and I have taken my background Insulin but when it comes to me having breakfast and needing my Bolus which should I do regarding 1st or 2nd drop???
I have left a message for my DN

Regards
Linda

I simply wipe away the first tiny amount of blood that comes out of the puncture wound. I understand it's to help ensure any surface contaminants are wiped away before testing. I've never bothered to test the bit I wipe away as it would only be <5 seconds apart.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This came up a while ago
If you wash your hands ...its the same with 1st or 2nd drop
If you don't wash your hands, 2nd drop is better

They didn't test if licking your finger was good enough

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find worrying about the inaccuracies of blood glucose testing pointless unless there is a noticeable problem.......

the insulin isn't that accurate either..........;)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think accuchek somewhere on the mhra website warnings gave some info sometime this year on people having to be trained orbretrained on how to test themselves.

Am out at the moment but when I have time I will double check this info unless anybody else can look it up in the meantime.

It came under warnings for mechanical equipment..on mhra website.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont know how accurate you would call these meters to be honest, I had 6.9 one day and then i though I dont think this is right so I did it again straightaway and it went to 6.1

serendipity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
This came up a while ago
If you wash your hands ...its the same with 1st or 2nd drop
If you don't wash your hands, 2nd drop is better

They didn't test if licking your finger was good enough

Im looking for some handwipes suitable for when Im in the middle of a field dog training, as there is no access to hand washing facilities.
So I normally lick my finger:rolleyes:

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
You could always carry one of those mini sprays just filled with water. I carry one with me and it's useful when out and about. I sometimes have to then wipe finger tip on clothing as I don't always have a tissue to hand.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Should say - I never use second drop of blood. Hard enough getting the first drop out!!! :(

Reactions: 8 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not heard of this. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Yes, try to keep the area clean before lancing.

serendipity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
The practice manager at my gp surgery is now involved and he said to go by the 2nd drop of blood. Im trying to get a better meter,
the accu-chek mobile (which the comapny will send me for free) but the test cassette and lancets are expensive. I find out tomorrow if they will or not.
Thanks Guys for your help

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/3/556.full
This was after handling/cutting fruit for a strong factor
If you wash your hands, it seems jabbing yourself deep enough to get 2drops isn't going to give a better outcome
F2.large.jpg

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Im looking for some handwipes suitable for when Im in the middle of a field dog training, as there is no access to hand washing facilities.
So I normally lick my finger:rolleyes:

plastic ziplock sandwich bag with a damp face cloth in it. You can even cut up small face cloths into smaller pieces and have a few 'wetwipes'. Ikea do facecloths for 25p each. If you wet the cloth with just water then should be OK

They will work at getting fingers cleaner than licking them during dog training :yuck: shudder ;)

serendipity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
Thank you
Some great info there :)
Will try the facecloth, no more finger licking for me!:angelic:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
we should do a 'finger licking' poll, I must confess to it and don't have strip problems

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
AS another dog owner I've always believed my my dogs lick is just as "antiseptic" as mine is - not that I'm suggesting you get yours to do any pre-pricking licking for you though! :p I've read about using the second squeeze but only ever do this if I can't get enough blood out the first time. I believe that different drops of blood seconds apart do normally change as your glucose levels are constantly in a state of flux.

@jack412 Graphs were interesting!

If you want something semi portable (the packs are about twice the size of a little pack), Wet Ones do an antibacterial wipe. I found mine on Amazon - I was looking
for something else to use them for.

Robbity

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Robbity @Robbity Id be wary of using a wipe because of possible contamination, I would suck and lick my finger after using it, to clean it before I tested :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK - but I'd be wary of licking my fingers when out with my dogs, as I might have had to do something not too hygenic like picking up (bags of) poo after them. Under normal circumstances I definitely rely on my lick to clean my fingers up before & after testing!

Robbity

serendipity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
AS another dog owner I've always believed my my dogs lick is just as "antiseptic" as mine is - not that I'm suggesting you get yours to do any pre-pricking licking for you though! :p I've read about using the second squeeze but only ever do this if I can't get enough blood out the first time. I believe that different drops of blood seconds apart do normally change as your glucose levels are constantly in a state of flux.

@jack412 Graphs were interesting!

If you want something semi portable (the packs are about twice the size of a little pack), Wet Ones do an antibacterial wipe. I found mine on Amazon - I was looking
for something else to use them for.

Robbity
AS another dog owner I've always believed my my dogs lick is just as "antiseptic" as mine is - not that I'm suggesting you get yours to do any pre-pricking licking for you though!

:wideyed::wacky: I could just Imagine it now, GSD FOR BREAKFAST, LAB FOR DINNER AND DIFFERENT GSD FOR TEA:hungry: