Disposable equipment, they've finally gone too far!

JamesA

I think some of the newer disposable monitors/injectors are an absolute disgrace :!:
I'm not saying health shouldn't come before global warming/green concerns but I don't think its a case of that.
The scummy marketing people seem to have got into the Diabetes market and are trying to sell us tat we don't need.

I think it's an absolute disgrace that a disposable monitor will be available on presecription:
http://www.homediagnostics.com/our_prod ... ekick.aspx

Especially when you sometimes struggle to get you basic equipment. How has this got past NICE?
That particular thing should be bought by people out of their own money when they need it because they're climbing a mountain or something.

I'm calling for a boycott on these new ridiculous products.

I think we need to have a good think about the disposable diabetes culture generally.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I note that this product is US based mg/dl If it is to be prescribed here then I hope that they change it to mmol.L otherwise we will all need good knowledge of the 18 x table or a calculator.
If the NHS can find a standardised product that is ,presumably cheaper and does not require them to pay out to several different companies and,more importantly they are willing to prescribe to all diabetics then it could be a good thing.A lot of type 2's cannot get prescriptions for test strips,at least this way they would.
The down side ,I think,looking at the video would be that you would have to hand record your tests and then input them into so sort of record whereas with the non disposable meters you have an inboard record.

iHs

The TRUEone Blood Glucose 50 Test Strips & Meter is £14.25 whether you buy it direct from Home Diagnostics or from a pharmacy. It can also be got on prescription though.

As far as I know it is for UK use. The company kindly sent me some info on it some time ago

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
So even buying it is cheaper than most test strips for meters.

iHs

Well unless we all leg it to Scotland to get teststrips for under £5, yes its quite good value for money

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I communicate across the pond a lot and am always changing units. I don't know my 18 x table, but I do know the 9 and the 2. Which one I use first depends on the numbers at the time.( and I round up and down)
However, I don't approve of issuing the disposable meter on prescription whilst so many of us can't get strips.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
But if they all prescribe it ,Hana then we would all get strips!!

jopar

All meters in this country are now locked to mmol/l it is ilegal for manufacturers to supply meters that are not locked. At one time it was the user who set the mesuring unit mmol/l or mg/dl on there meter, but several years ago there was a glicth with some meters changing from mmol/l to mg/dl with out the user knowledge? So manufacturers had to start to lock the meters during production to enable to keep there certificates that allowed them to sell there meters in the EC.

There are a couple of ways that I can see them being useful, A doctor could prescribe one when someone is first dignosised, to get them up and running or when the patient only needs one to monitor bloods for a short period of time..

Or if what has happened to me in the past, that my meter has gone belly up while on holiday and I can't replace with what I've already got strips for... So end up buying a new meter and a packet of strips eek.. Better that I could tie my self over until I get home and can get sorted out wit my clinic...

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Disposable meters is taking it a bit far, but i have to admit that the disposable pre- filled pens are fantastic, there much lighter to use than a pen which takes cartridges, which Andrew at 10yrs finds much easier to use. I was against disposable at first, wanting to be green and all that, but i too find them an easier option.
Suzi x

goji

Agree about the environmental aspect but have to say at £14.25 a pack, it's even cheaper than Abbot's Freestyle test strips. Maybe the competition from this device will drive other test strip prices down (well here's hoping).

Ihs where did you see it selling for that price? When I googled, i could only see it in the US.

G x

iHs

goji said:
Agree about the environmental aspect but have to say at £14.25 a pack, it's even cheaper than Abbot's Freestyle test strips. Maybe the competition from this device will drive other test strip prices down (well here's hoping).

Ihs where did you see it selling for that price? When I googled, i could only see it in the US.

G x

Hello

Most blood glucose meter manufacturers advertise new products in 'Balance' magazine so that is how I found out about the TRUEone device. In America its known by another name - TRUE2go.
The company kindly sent me out the PIP Code: 342-4389 for the pharmacy ordering and the Drug Tariff: £14.25. Their phone no is 0800 08 588 08. If you order directly from the company they charge £1.95 postage and packing.

goji

THanks IHS

It appears that with the extra postal and package it works out a bit more expensive than Abbot's strips. :( Still the 'Sidekick is a good idea in some ways for situations when you need a backup (eg. travelling).

iHs

Sorry got the name wrong - the TRUEone system is the same as the Sidekick. Have a feeling if you order through a UK pharmacy the cost should only be £14.25 so the postage costs can be avoided. Before long though these meters will start to appear on eBay so imagine that they will go for around the £10 mark :mrgreen:

Trinkwasser

jopar said:
All meters in this country are now locked to mmol/l it is ilegal for manufacturers to supply meters that are not locked. At one time it was the user who set the mesuring unit mmol/l or mg/dl on there meter, but several years ago there was a glicth with some meters changing from mmol/l to mg/dl with out the user knowledge? So manufacturers had to start to lock the meters during production to enable to keep there certificates that allowed them to sell there meters in the EC.

I wonder how much money was spent on that which could have been spent on test strips and educating users to press a button . . .

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
looks dead handy for an "in your pocket" meter!!! One of the things i hate about testing is having to carry around pursy looking cases everywhere i go, Would be so nice to just have something i could stick in my pocket without it being uncomfortable and bulky looking. It's just not practical to put a lancet device, meter, strips in your pocket along with a mobile phone, keys and a wallet! :shock:

So something as small as that meter looks like a good way forward... would be better with a computer link though... maybe they could build in bluetooth to it or something!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Sue
you don't need the 18X table, just the 9x and the 2x :lol:
Hana

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
PS they sell calculators at the Pound shop and at the 99p shop

TheTartanPimpernel

Where in Scotland do you get strips for under £5.00? I get mine on prescription and being diabetic the scrip is free. However, I recently ran out on a weekend and the local chemist charged just under £24.00 for 50 Accu Chek strips.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Being diet controlled I have to pay for my prescription.Therefore I get 50 strips for £4.