Disposing of Test Strips

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I put mine in the rubbish bin.

I did ask my diabetes nurse and she said it was ok.

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My Son keeps them in the little pocket in his bg monitor pouch when in school or out and disposes of them in our rubbish bin when at home .

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HI,

You have made a very good point.
I would put them in a empty container type capsule that they came in then dispose at home.

Got to take care with needles etc; especially where children are around.

Roy, :)

iHs

At work, just bring used teststrips home with you and get rid of them in the rubbish bin. Disposing of them at work might cause someone to object to it so best not to cause any agro and bring them home..

Finzi

I put them in the bin. Lancets I put in a sealed container and put that in the bin. I use Unistix, though, in which the needle completely retracts (I even rubbed a used one across my cheek the other day, just to be sure). If they were actual needles I would probably make sure I had a sharps bin. I don't have a blood borne disease, but that isn't really the point - it's the distress caused to the bin man from a sharps injury and not knowing whether or not it was contaminated. But test strips are not a risk and I draw the line at making any special arrangements for them (having said that, they generally end up in the bottom of my handbag, and get dumped every few days!)

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 5 and 6 mmol. 13kg lost so far :)

Cointreau

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Checking my blood.....
I use an old container to store used strips and dispose of them with my needles in the yellow bins from the doctor or hospital - I give them back when they are full to be incinerated. No danger to anyone.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
If I'm out, I put them in an empty test strip container. When home, I just put them in the sharps box.

Sharon68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bring mine home in a little bag and put them in the sharps bin

toastlover

I wrap mine in a bit of tissue and flush them down the toilet. I usually go to the bathroom to test anyway so it makes sense to me.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
the dn put a sharps bin on my prescription i didnt know until i collect it from chemist, i save them in my monitor case then dump them with the lancets, the bin will take me a year to fill i reckon.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
T1 husbabnd has sharps box and they go in there. I'm sure they shouldn't go in the bin unless you soak them in bleach first. How about storing them in old cannisters that they come in, soaking overnight and then in the bin
Hana

iHs

I have always thrown my used teststrips straight in my rubbish bag and have done so for years.

When rubbish bags get thrown into refuse vehicles literally everything is shredded into smithereens. Those cutters at the back of the vehicles are remarkable.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Strips and lancets are biohazardous but why is it ok to throw bandages, (which may also contain infection) and sanitary napkins into ordinary rubbish?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I don't think it is acceptable to throw bandages or sanitary towels into normal household rubbish either ! Each to their own. I get rid of mine in sharps bin. If I'm out I use old test strip container.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
mo1905 said:
I don't think it is acceptable to throw bandages or sanitary towels into normal household rubbish either ! Each to their own. I get rid of mine in sharps bin. If I'm out I use old test strip container.

Don't go to Greece then whatever you do. All goes in a bin.

@myroomsadisco