Diuretics

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the true spirit of this forum where people experiment on themselves all the time, try it and if you don't end up locked in the toilet let us know what happened.

M

Maybird

sue1959 said:
I was wondering about trying a herbal diuretic. Is this OK to do when taking metformin?

Arent they something you should always ask a doctor about taking especially as you are on medication

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Dear Sue,

A Diuretic is a very important medication and there are a host of conditions, many experienced by Diabetics, and a doctor's opinion should be obtained in every case of use. In my case, with CKD, I have to be so careful not to overdo use of said drug so as not to exacerbate my condition.

In your case you have not stated whether you are experiencing lower limb oedema, etc.,etc. so none of us should advise you.

With very best wishes,

Rob

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Instead of taking a tablet, why not try adding foods/drink to your diet which are natural directics.

sue1959

I'm going to try green tea. I have to stand up all day at work and I find my feet are a bit swollen on an evening.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
sue1959 said:
I'm going to try green tea. I have to stand up all day at work and I find my feet are a bit swollen on an evening.

Highly recommend Double Dragon Green Tea from Holland & Barrett, not as cheap as some brands at around £1.90 for 20 teabags but really nice tea :thumbup:

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Would suggest seeing doctor to discuss and if need he could prescribe necessary tablets to help, with the full knowledge of your history, meds, symptoms.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not going to advise you either way... but due to ongoing water retention issues, I bought some water balance tablets from Superdrug. The prime ingredient is dandelion root, and other herbal bits and pieces. The packet clearly states that people with diabetes shouldn't take it without consulting a doctor. However, I threw caution to the wind.... and they have done absolutely nothing!

I wouldn't waste my money on them again, and just opt for the tea options!

C

catherinecherub

sue1959 said:
I think you will find that this is quite common for people who are on their feet all day.
You really need to see your G.P. as there may be some underlying condition that is causing the swelling.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
luceeloo said:
I'm not going to advise you either way... but due to ongoing water retention issues, I bought some water balance tablets from Superdrug. The prime ingredient is dandelion root, and other herbal bits and pieces. The packet clearly states that people with diabetes shouldn't take it without consulting a doctor. However, I threw caution to the wind.... and they have done absolutely nothing!

I wouldn't waste my money on them again, and just opt for the tea options!

When I made my flippant comment in post number two it was because I expected the result to be something close to this and therefore not harmful. Also I couldn't imagine myself going to see my GP just to ask him if I could take any kind of herbal medicine. He can get a bit abrupt. It is quite a different matter to go and see him about swollen feet though.

My nurse said that anything with caffeine in is a diuretic so tea and coffee qualify. I was peeing a lot at the time and her advice was to drink decaf only. I decided I would rather pee a lot than drink decaf after trying it.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Squire Fulwood said:
When I made my flippant comment in post number two it was because I expected the result to be something close to this and therefore not harmful. Also I couldn't imagine myself going to see my GP just to ask him if I could take any kind of herbal medicine. He can get a bit abrupt. It is quite a different matter to go and see him about swollen feet though.

My nurse said that anything with caffeine in is a diuretic so tea and coffee qualify. I was peeing a lot at the time and her advice was to drink decaf only. I decided I would rather pee a lot than drink decaf after trying it.

My Dr is from the same mould! He would probably lynch me for trying the herbal medicine, but also threaten to strike me off for wasting his time if I made an appointment to ask the question about taking them lol!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a problem a few years back with swelling everywhere - feet, legs, hands, arms, face, the lot. My doctor prescribed diuretics very reluctantly to treat it but warned me it was a risky drug for diabetics because of kidneys and a tendency toward dehydration. 3 day course and no effect. Turned out I was allergic to losec. Any swelling is best checked by a doctor.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App