diverticular disease

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I went into hospital a few weeks ago for a colospapy sorry if I spelt it wrong .im a type 2 and on insulin but since last summer I have had bloating and the runs every morning all I was told at the hospital was to eat more fibre I also have mint tea I feel run down and get tired easy has anyone else had this disease its getting me down

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Yes I was diagnosed with it and have also had the camera-up-the-bum procedure. Apparently a significant percentage of the population have it by the time they reach middle age. For most it does not cause any problems though. I noticed a pattern to mine, and the symptoms eased when I gave up white bread. Then it seemed to stop (almost) when I started injecting insulin.
Do you notice that some foods affect you more than others?

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi thank you for your replys I cant say any food makes it worse or better at the moment ,im eating more fibre and like diabities you have to find what suits you im going to have a word with the dr this week see what she says

Reactions: 2 people

a.harris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rudeness
Diverticulitis!!!...I am a registered nurse best advise is to avoid any foods with seeds nuts etc unfortunately diverticular disease tends to make itself known around middle age, I'm T2D with diverticular disease and IBS have always eaten healthy food and remained light weight, I was diagnosed with hereditary T2D last summer it's not easy......always feeling hungry......

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi thank you for your reply im seeing a diet nurse next week see if she can help me .my tummy takes off about 6am then im back and for the toilet I was eating seed bread and peanuts but ive stopped now how do you manage yours ive lost a lot of weight but like you im always hungry

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I've got it and got it bad apparently but like someone else since I stopped white bread ... and have almost no bread of any kind any more it no longer bothers me to much.
The LCHF may have improved it too.
No longer have breakfast cereals other than porridge with coconut oil in.

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
its not nice is it im trying with all different foods but nothing helps at the moment but I wont give up how is yours going

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I have this - avoid seeds/wheat/gluten and carb starch too .
These can cause pain and bloating excessively .

It can be a progressive condition - getting worse over
years of time .
More diverticulitis pockets and deeper ones too .
Flare ups happen when infection/inflammation gets in
the diverticulitis pockets .

I quickly learnt what I have to eliminate 'out' of my diet .
Plus I have coeliac too .

Totally understand how unpleasant it can be .

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I have this - avoid seeds/wheat/gluten and carb starch too .
These can cause pain and bloating excessively .

It can be a progressive condition - getting worse over
years of time .
More diverticulitis pockets and deeper ones too .
Flare ups happen when infection/inflammation gets in
the diverticulitis pockets .

I quickly learnt what I have to eliminate 'out' of my diet .
Plus I have coeliac too .

Totally understand how unpleasant it can be .

Keep being active and moving helps keep the intestine working and functioning .
Regular water to drink/rehydrate is quite important and keeps things moving and moist .

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I have diverticular disease.
I would not have known but for a test for somthing else,I have never had any problems,but would rather not have known about it.

oak

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
being told what to do without the full picture
hi thank you for your reply im seeing a diet nurse next week see if she can help me .my tummy takes off about 6am then im back and for the toilet I was eating seed bread and peanuts but ive stopped now how do you manage yours ive lost a lot of weight but like you im always hungry

I find eating larger portions of unrefined proteins keeps me feeling full longer, If I'm pekish I will have a little cheese, sweetie sized or a few prawns. One of the contributers to divertricula disease is eating too many highly refined low fibre foods, the intestines have to work too hard to pass the food along, it looses its elasticity and pockets form causing traps for things like seeds, even tomato seeds.

Reactions: 2 people

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi thank you for your reply ,im getting nowhere I still have the runs every day my toilet is light brown sorry ,and I pass orange greasy liquid and I get awfull wind .ive seen my gp that was a waste of time he said I don't know what it is it might be your diabetes ,so hubby maid me a chart to put down what I eat to see if there is a pattern also ive started to use lactose free milk

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you taking metformin as well as being on insulin? Metformin sometimes causes major bowel upsets for people.

As well as lactose, you might want to try a gluten free diet for a while - gluten can also cause a lot of GI problems if a person is sensitive to it.

oak

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
being told what to do without the full picture
hi thank you for your reply ,im getting nowhere I still have the runs every day my toilet is light brown sorry ,and I pass orange greasy liquid and I get awfull wind .ive seen my gp that was a waste of time he said I don't know what it is it might be your diabetes ,so hubby maid me a chart to put down what I eat to see if there is a pattern also ive started to use lactose free milk

The greasyness could be a sign you are not digesting the fats in your diet, Have you had a vitamin D test.
I have SIBO which presents itself similar to that, Its similar to IBS but the problem is in the small intestines instead.
We are all so different so just suggestions

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi no I am not on metformin just insulin ,no I havnt had a vitamin d test do you mind me asking what SIBO is ,I had a blood test for my liver and kidneys that was normal I will try the gluten free diet aswell anything is worth a try isn't it many thanks for your replys

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Susie, I have diverticular and IBS my gastroenterologist suggested Buscopan which has helped so much , it slows down the gut and stops the runs, I take 1 tabx3 daily if having a bad day otherwise 1 tab before bed, it also helps with the griping and wind. They are available over the counter if needs be.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Flaxseed has made so much difference to my digestive system,It took about three weeks to notice .

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Very solid information posted here by all the people but I was wondering lately that why we only have this diseases in only 8 countries with maximum 90 % of patients.

And I was doing a research for my medical papers when I found that 200 other countries do not have this diseases and then after having searched over the internet about this I was very much convinced what Mike Hohlweg is telling about this: that it is our food that we eat each day, he has done extensive research and advised a very comprehensive diet for this painful diseases. He has a website it is https://diverticulitispainfreefoods.com

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm now anaemic because of it ... lot of blood loss over the last six months. Told I have it really bad with huge holes in my colon.
I've discovered that green smoothies help and Aloe vera gel. It soothes and repairs to some degree. Still bleeding but less and also less bloating and discomfort.