dka admission and some other hospital questions

jacquiel

Son (14) got admitted on Tuesday morning with dka - not great with eating right, injecting right etc
Any way
This lunchtime he is off fluids and insulin iv
Consultant says she wants him in until at least friday so she can work out what insulin he should be on.
Son has other problems which diabetic nurse and school are very aware-we have an appointment early jan with multidisciplinary team at school because they have seen aspergers signs at school (inclusion officer following him around without him knowing at school because of concerns)
husband left him at around 3.30 this pm
i went in after work at about 8.30 and he is sitting behind a drawn curtain, with telly broken (one of those pay ones) and absolutely nothing to do - staring into space.
I had brought in some diet coke, a puzzle,a portable dvd player, ds, and his older sister.
He was very uncommunicative when we first got there, but 'warmed up' after a while.
He wont ask people for any thing (to do with his 'aspergers like symptoms' - dont know if he has it, but..) and hadnt said the tv didnt work, he was starving, but didnt ask for food, and the nursing staff dont know if he is 'allowed' because they are being 'strict' at the moment, he wasnt told there is a 'game room' where he could have used a games console, or other things - the ward is pretty empty too - (only found out because i asked if there is anything for him to do )
i am annoyed that a teenager with no parent or anyone there is just left without being offered- eg - i know you might not want to now, but in case you do - there is a games room you can use - just ask me.. etc - even apart from the fact of his behaviour .
also is it not a 'right' to at least be able to be able to have food - eg toast etc or something we bring in if he wants it? Surely as he is on MDI he should be able to inject (under supervision if they want) for what he eats? The lad is saying how hungry he is on 3 tiny kids meals a day - and husband said at lunch the chicken was rock hard anyway...
What are your impressions, and what would his 'rights' be in hospital?

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I am in Australia and my (T1) son is much younger, my teenager is nearly 17, but any time we are in hospital I tend to bring most things to occupy him and also his food as he is unlikely to eat what is on offer in hospital. There is usually access to extra food/fruit in the ward. I understand they may want to have your son on a strict diet to stablise blood sugar levels but it still needs to be a diet suitable to his age and energy requirements. You'd think a dietician would be available?

My T1 son has Down syndrome so I see a lot of kids who are autistic/aspergers but teenagers are a little off the planet anyway so I wouldn't go pointing the finger at that if you have not seen signs prior to now. Bi-polar disease often shows up in the teenage years and depression is common (especially with T1 thrown in). I'd be very wary of getting a hasty diagnosis that may be wrong and the treatment being also wrong. Just having uncontrolled blood sugar makes for weird behaviour so it would be nice if you could get that a little stable before looking for anything else. I haven't got answers for you as to how to make him comply with testing and insulin. It is a case of fighting the battles you can win and let the rest slide. You might have to be tough but also express your love, sympathy and affection. Sometimes our boys still need a good hug now and again and for us to tell them we love them. I know I have been at fault in the past for not making sure my teenage son really knew I was standing with him. I find myself standing with him now and being supportive even when he has done the wrong thing or made a bad choice.

Depending on when your son was dx it might be time to re-educate him on what has happened to give him diabetes and how the treatment manages levels. Maybe even set some targets with a wider range to stay between so he isn't feeling like he is failing when his hormones are causing havoc. Does your son know anybody else with diabetes? You might even like to have a sport star or other mentor with T1 come and visit your son.

I hope things improve for you and your family xx

jacquiel

Thanks for your reply.
Some resonates and some - i realise i havent explained myself properly!

It isnt an quick thing without having seen signs re the aspergers or whatever it is - he has always been different due to a variety of reasons and school have always had issues with him (right from being a toddler)
need to go off to work now and then to visit him, but thanks for your roply

it is just annoying

and i know that doesnt tell any one anything useful! i may get a chance to get on during the day and try harder to say what i actually mean!

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!
Quite frankly this is rubbish - he's been admitted in DKA...when I came round from my DKA last year, I was given whatever food I wanted and when - they were only too glad I was eating!!! You need to speak to a ward sister/manager, nobody should be left hungry on a hospital ward, it's all very well them being "strict" but surely they should be aware the DKA was more likely down to poor compliance than what he was eating - after all, we can eat whatever we want as long as our insulin matches it....I get so angry at the apparent lack of knowledge. Endocrine wards are fabulous, but I've been on a sugical ward recently where they didn't want to give me insulin with a meal because "you had some earlier and your bg readings are fine" !!!!!!! seriously....