1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

DLA for children

Discussion in 'Benefits' started by mumtolewis, Apr 21, 2011.

1. mumtolewis

mumtolewis · Newbie

Hi,

My son Lewis is a newly diagnosed diabetic age 8. We were told to apply for disability living allowance. Are we entitled to any help? Do any of you recieve this for your child? Lewis also has scoliosos and wears a back brace for 23hrs a day.

Thanks for all your help so far this site has been wonderful.

Thankyou,

Janette, Lewis xx

2. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

Best advice is to get Expert advice on this one. Try CAB, I'm not sure about children but DWP are tightening up on who gets DLA. Filling in the forms properly is a mine-field !

3. ams162

ams162 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

hiya

we applied for DLA when dylan was diagnosed over 4 years ago and got awarded it then someone told me u can get carers allowance too depending on the childs age and how much u have to do for them so applied for that too to see and we get middle rate for that too its all worth a go, like sue says things are changing alot so it maybe we dont fall into the bracket anymore but at the moment we are still being paid it. give it a go it allowed me to change my job and work in dylans school when he most needed me i could never have done it had i not been awarded the money

anna marie

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook