Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i get DLA and got a mini bank statement and my DLA hadn,t been paid in
i rang the DLA department (was on hold for nearly an hour) and they said it had stopped so i asked why
they said they sent me a P.I.P form out 2 months ago as my DLA was due for renewal, and to apply for P.I.P
i said that i had not received a P.I.P form. they are going to send another form
i doubt very much that i would get P.I.P
i.m going to really miss the money

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's sickening the way they're punishing people for being sick and/or disabled! People are losing their vehicles because of it, even though they can't get out without them.

Reactions: 4 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's sickening the way they're punishing people for being sick and/or disabled! People are losing their vehicles because of it, even though they can't get out without them.

How do you suggest we pay for it? Bearing in mind there's no money!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The country has plenty of money , they just spend it in the wrong places.

no politics on this thread please.

Reactions: 8 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We spend more money than we make. Ergo no money! It's not politics, it's economics. I'm not judging any political party over another. We had to save money, we are saving money. That means things get a little worse for lots of people, rich and poor.

Ally may or may not get the new benefit. Seems little point speculating until the paperwork is processed.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i get DLA and got a mini bank statement and my DLA hadn,t been paid in
i rang the DLA department (was on hold for nearly an hour) and they said it had stopped so i asked why
they said they sent me a P.I.P form out 2 months ago as my DLA was due for renewal, and to apply for P.I.P
i said that i had not received a P.I.P form. they are going to send another form
i doubt very much that i would get P.I.P
i.m going to really miss the money

Ally - I'm afraid I know next to nothing about benefits, never mind applying for PIP, but I would suggest you get as much help as you can to fill out the forms. When my Mum was ill, several years ago, she became eligible for various benefits, relating to care and mobility, which neither of us knew anything about. Her GP suggested she approach a local charitable organisation who completed the forms on her behalf, using all the relevant information but expressed in the correct way.

It made a real difference to the stress levels we encountered, and she was awarded the benefits - whether she actually needed them or not! That last bit is another story....

Good luck with it Ally.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We spend more money than we make. Ergo no money! It's not politics, it's economics. I'm not judging any political party over another. We had to save money, we are saving money. That means things get a little worse for lots of people, rich and poor.

Take a little from the rich they don't notice. Take a little from the poor and it causes real hardship, hence the rise in foodbanks. Take a little from the sick and/or disabled and you devastate their lives, take their motability vehicles or powered wheelchairs away and they're confined to home, no chance of getting out to work, no chance of having a social life, no chance of living in the real world alongside everyone else.
As Nosher says, there's plenty of money, it's just spent in the wrong places.
“The True Measure of Any Society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members” – Ghandi

Reactions: 11 people
N

NicolaB70

Take a little from the rich they don't notice. Take a little from the poor and it causes real hardship, hence the rise in foodbanks. Take a little from the sick and/or disabled and you devastate their lives, take their motability vehicles or powered wheelchairs away and they're confined to home, no chance of getting out to work, no chance of having a social life, no chance of living in the real world alongside everyone else.
“The True Measure of Any Society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members” – Ghandi
I am disabled with a motor neurone disease (CMT) which affects my mobility, balance other things. I can only get out of my house with help from my husband and then have to be pushed in my wheelchair so therefore class myself to be housebound. I have a car through the motability scheme with my husband as the driver as i cannot drive. If my DLA (indefinite payments) is stopped when it's reassessed for PIP I would lose my car and without the car I would be totally housebound, it's my lifeline to going out, visiting family and any medical appointments.
I totally agree with what you've said, every little bit of help we receive whether financial or not, really does help.
Like all other disabled people, I didn't ask to be disabled and would love to be able to get out without having to rely on others for help and even go to work. I am hoping and praying that I will be able to carry on receiving the new PIP benefit when it reaches my turn to apply. I would be devastated if they say no.

Reactions: 6 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you Rowan, couldn't put it better myself!
Wealth distribution is upward to the top 1% in the last 25 years and there is no sign of it reversing in the foreseeable future. London school of economics!

Reactions: 2 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
\\\\\\

So you're comfortable shifting society to one where the rich simply pays or whatever the poor need? I absolutely agree that people who need support should be supported. However, we ALL make cutbacks when required. You can't punish the rich and successful for being rich and successful. They'll just be rich and successful somewhere else!

Much as I like the Ghandi quote the society you seek only exists in Star Trek.. I'm sure that will happen one day.. but not for a very long time¬

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am disabled with a motor neurone disease (CMT) which affects my mobility, balance other things. I can only get out of my house with help from my husband and then have to be pushed in my wheelchair so therefore class myself to be housebound. I have a car through the motability scheme with my husband as the driver as i cannot drive. If my DLA (indefinite payments) is stopped when it's reassessed for PIP I would lose my car and without the car I would be totally housebound, it's my lifeline to going out, visiting family and any medical appointments.
I totally agree with what you've said, every little bit of help we receive whether financial or not, really does help.
Like all other disabled people, I didn't ask to be disabled and would love to be able to get out without having to rely on others for help and even go to work. I am hoping and praying that I will be able to carry on receiving the new PIP benefit when it reaches my turn to apply. I would be devastated if they say no.

I really hope you continue and get your PIP. The worry they've caused over this change is enough to make a lot of people worse, stress is a contributing factor to so many illnesses. (Not to mention the suicides that are down to benefit changes and cuts!) It'll be my turn later in the year to make the change, even though my DLA was awarded indefinitely as there is no cure for my illnesses either.
That's what is so sickening, they award these payments to enable us to live as near 'normal' a life as possible, and even though our condition either stays the same or more often gets worse they suddenly decide we don't need that help anymore just in prder to save a bit of money that they could very easily save from elsewhere, somewhere that wouldn't be noticed but the vast malority of the poulation. Tax avoidence, tax cuts for the richest, MPs expenses and subsidies, bankers bonuses, sort out just those few things and you've probably got more than enough to give the most vulnerable people their lives back.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
\\\\\\

So you're comfortable shifting society to one where the rich simply pays or whatever the poor need? I absolutely agree that people who need support should be supported. However, we ALL make cutbacks when required. You can't punish the rich and successful for being rich and successful. They'll just be rich and successful somewhere else!

Much as I like the Ghandi quote the society you seek only exists in Star Trek.. I'm sure that will happen one day.. but not for a very long time¬

If the rich just paid the same in proportion to their weath as the poor are being made to do it would help a lot more. And yes, of course I'd rather the richest paid more than the vulnerable who are having their last chance taken away to compete in teh real world.
Seems the sick/disabled should just shut up, accept their lot in life and stay stuck at home. Is that what you want? Because it's not a choice between that or a 'Star Trek' society, whatever that's supposed to mean. Caring for the most vulnerable is not an inachievable dream, but it's people like Nicola (above) who ARE being devastated by this latest inhumane money-saving scheme.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Proportionally in terms of tax the wealthy actually pay a lot more

The poorest and most vulnerable are paying with their health, their peace of mind, and in far too many cases, their lives. My heart bleeds for the wealthiest who might have to pay their fair share of tax.

G

gemma6549

I didn't actually comment on the poor or vulnerable or express an opinion on it as that's really not what this forum is about. Just stated that if we are talking about things being proportionate they actually are in the way that we are taxed.

G

gemma6549

Also I don't think we can talk about wealthy people "my heart bleeds for the wealthiest" just because someone has money it doesn't mean they aren't a good person because there are others who don't.

Just because someone maybe healthy enough to work hard and build up their wealth, doesn't mean they have not had other struggles in life.

I don't think anyone deserves to be judged on what's in their bank account.

Reactions: 10 people
G

gemma6549

For the record I personally have very little money, just Incase you think I'm saying this because I'm wealthy. I'm actually just being objective

Reactions: 5 people