Do all diabetics have to have a licence renewal...??

townsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,
First time post, but having a right argument with someone at work, I am sure I am right but hoping the community can help.
Do all type 1 diabetics have to have a driving licence renewal, whether it be 1,2 or 3 yearly? I had mine renewed last month for a further 3 years however a friend of mine claims he doesn't have to have his renewed and claims he never has forms sent to him to renew, I am concerned he has not told the DVLA about his condition or else they would have sent the renewal forms surely?

All answers greatly received and thanks in advance.

Reactions: KezG

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If your friend is type 1 then the same rules apply to them, maybe he just hasn't informed the DVLA that he has diabetes, if so he is breaking the law (only if he's insulin treated).

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @townsy
Welcome to the Forum, yes you are right in that any diabetic taking glucose lowering drugs eg; Insulin, have to report it to the DVLA and should have to re-apply every 3 years..........Diabetics not on Glucose lowering drugs do not.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Reactions: KezG

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi and welcome to the forum as others have said if your friend is on insulin or any medications where he is likely to have a hypo it his duty to tell the d.v.l.a if he doesn't and he has an accident his insurance will be void so all expenses will come out of his pocket please put him right good luck.

Neilwalker1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Personally I think it's wrong that we have to re apply and for some time have been considering petitioning the DVLA on this matter, so perhaps this forum is a good place to raise it and see who would join me?
Not to single them out but I see a lot of elderly drivers who are driving dangerously, are no doubt on m dictation etc etc but no checks are done.

Diabetics know the symptoms of low blood sugar, we attend regular health checks and like anyone else should not have to constaly renew our license. Surely anyone who is unfit to drive should report themselves to the DVLA however i feel we are singled out. I think this should change and put licences run the same as people without the condition. Any one interested in this can maybe reply though and he forum.
Thanks
Neil

Mr_Hegarty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Personally I think it's wrong that we have to re apply and for some time have been considering petitioning the DVLA on this matter, so perhaps this forum is a good place to raise it and see who would join me?
Not to single them out but I see a lot of elderly drivers who are driving dangerously, are no doubt on m dictation etc etc but no checks are done.

Diabetics know the symptoms of low blood sugar, we attend regular health checks and like anyone else should not have to constaly renew our license. Surely anyone who is unfit to drive should report themselves to the DVLA however i feel we are singled out. I think this should change and put licences run the same as people without the condition. Any one interested in this can maybe reply though and he forum.
Thanks
Neil

Thanks
Neil
Last year was the first time I had to apply for my driving licence having became treated with insulin, albeit I have been diabetic from 2002. I received my licence which had been renewed for three year other than categories C1 & D1 which I only need to drive a recently purchased Motorhome having to be renewed annually. During the past year I have not suffered any hypos nor had I previously had any hypos. To my shock and horror I received my licence only to discover that they have placed all my driving classes to be reviewed annually. Therefore I would be more than happy to get involved as clearly I feel this decision is unfair and unjustified. Tom

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

There was proposals put forward by the DVLA to extend the max period for a licence from 3 to 10 years, I don't know what the latest news is but here's an article from 2014:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_u...to-licencing-period-for-people-with-diabetes/

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
What does the diabetic eye test involve? I have glaucoma and have to have the space invader vision tests every three years. Something about the authorities not wanting me to drive if I cannot see apparently. Surely the annual retinopathy eye test would be the diabetic equivilent. If someone has retinopathy they join me in the find an approved test optician in the timeframe game. If not why a DVLA test? Is the retinopathy test optional? People on insulin already have to do a test before driving surely.

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am a type 2 just starting on insulin so will be informing DVLA. I also informed them when diagnosed with sleep apnoea which as long as I could prove I used my CPAP at night my license wasn't affected. I don't think a 3 year renewal is too much of an inconvenience and will be happy to oblige. With regards to informing DVLA I won't go into the arguments doctors have with patients who refuse to tell them. The doctor does eventually have to inform the DVLA if you don't and that normally results in the license being revoked. Once again if you follow the rules and look after yourself it's not usually a problem it's the ones that don't that cause an issue for everyone else. With regard to night hypos I do have sympathy as this does seem a little unfair as you're not awake to know you're dropping.

Dark Horse

Thanks
Neil
From the age of 70, drivers have to reapply for their driving licence every 3 years. The application form asks for details of medications or conditions that may affect driving ability and if the individual is judged as unfit to drive, they will not be issued with a driving licence. http://www.ageuk.org.uk/travel-lifestyle/driving/

In addition, there is a long list of conditions that may affect driving and about which the DVLA must be informed at any age without waiting for licence renewal:- https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
@townsy When I was first diagnosed, I needed insulin to lower my glucose readings and get them more stable. I was advised to surrender my driving license and reapply. This I did and a new licence for 3 years was issued. Since then.. I have stopped taking insulin and take Metformin instead. It will be interesting to find out what will happen when I reapply for my next licence.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi All,
First time post, but having a right argument with someone at work, I am sure I am right but hoping the community can help.
Do all type 1 diabetics have to have a driving licence renewal, whether it be 1,2 or 3 yearly? I had mine renewed last month for a further 3 years however a friend of mine claims he doesn't have to have his renewed and claims he never has forms sent to him to renew, I am concerned he has not told the DVLA about his condition or else they would have sent the renewal forms surely?

All answers greatly received and thanks in advance.
In Canada Provincial Transport departments treat diabetic license holders like everyone else. I have to renew my license every 3 years just like non-diabetics. In fact I'm coming up on a renewal next year. It's never been an issue and I'm guessing that statistically people with diabetes probably have the same accident statistics as everybody else.
Biggest concern in my country right now are the number of seniors with failing eye sight behind the wheel. My father is 83 and he has to go in to get tested at the driving bureau for vision and mental cognizance yearly So far so good but he stresses over it and I can certainly understand that.

Steffany

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your friend has most certainly has not told the DVLA they are diabetic at all for that to be the case.
As most people have said it voids all insurance and is against the law, however no offence; but your friend seems quite stubborn so I don't know if pointing this out to them will make much difference. I guess all you can do is just give them the facts and what they choose to do with that information is up to them.
I had a glorious year of riding motorbikes before medically I wasn't safe to anymore. I miss it so much, but completely agree with their decision; I've lost all Hypo and hyper awareness and I had an eye haemorrhage that makes my quality of sight differ from day to day. It sucks to need to rely on my fiancée or parents if I need to go somewhere that isn't easily public transportable, but that's just my situation and I have to accept it, it's not going to change. I like to think about all the money I'm saving on insurance, petrol, bike gear - all that, but also I tend not to go too far away from where I live and walk nearly everywhere with my diabetic alert dog in training, so I'm probably far more fit for it. When I do go somewhere on public transport or catching a lift it often feels like a real treat.

Steffany

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As for other people; I totally agree - they need reviews of their license more regularly; not because of their health but just because there are some AWFUL drivers out there on the road. I think all cars should have those black boxes some insurers require and if you drive dangerously you get a fine, consistently dangerously you should have a ban for a fitting amount of time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In addition, there is a long list of conditions that may affect driving and about which the DVLA must be informed at any age without waiting for licence renewal:- https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving

Thank you for that.

The list is a very long one - and I am shocked at some of the conditions listed.
I think that many, many people will not realise that they should be contacting the DVLA about their health.

Dark Horse

Thank you for that.

The list is a very long one - and I am shocked at some of the conditions listed.
I think that many, many people will not realise that they should be contacting the DVLA about their health.
Yes, I agree. If you click on a listed condition, you're taken to another page which explains under what circumstances that condition needs to be reported. For example, arrhythmia only has to be reported if you have distracting or disabling symptoms or your arrhythmia has caused or might cause incapacity. For high blood pressure you only need to tell the DVLA if you are a bus, coach or lorry driver, not if you are just a car driver. For a lot of the conditions, it just says consult your GP and only notify the DVLA if the GP thinks it might affect your driving.

Some of the conditions (including diabetes) can be notified to the DVLA online:- https://www.gov.uk/report-driving-medical-condition The others should be notified by post.

Dark Horse

Yes, I agree. If you click on a listed condition, you're taken to another page which explains under what circumstances that condition needs to be reported. For example, arrhythmia only has to be reported if you have distracting or disabling symptoms or your arrhythmia has caused or might cause incapacity. For high blood pressure you only need to tell the DVLA if you are a bus, coach or lorry driver, not if you are just a car driver. For a lot of the conditions, it just says consult your GP and only notify the DVLA if the GP thinks it might affect your driving.

Some of the conditions (including diabetes) can be notified to the DVLA online:- https://www.gov.uk/report-driving-medical-condition The others should be notified by post.
Also interesting reading is this report from the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman which was published October 2016 and is entitled "Driven to Despair How drivers have been let down by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency":- https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/driven-to-despair