Do all roads lead to diabetes for me?

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, thanks. I find that not eating enough increases my anxiety feelings and adrenalin, so if you are restricting your food then that also stresses the body, adding stress to stress, and causing the blood sugar levels to get caught up in a cycle of rising. Its a vicious circle. Did you say you have a low BMI? that makes the stress increase, raising blood sugar levels all by itself, without the added problem of anxiety etc.
Yes my BMI is now 17.9 so underweight now. I don’t want to lose anymore weight but at the same time need to keep my numbers in check. I had some low carb chia seed/ milled flaxseed ‘porridge’ for breakfast with a few spoonfuls of FF Greek yog as my FBS was low (with tea no added sugars almond milk.) it didn’t spike me. Then just had lunch of 3 eggs ommlette with no sugars almond milk, grated cheese small amount of onions and handful of spinach steamed. Again with tea. That doesn’t usually spike me but now think I’ve prob had too many carbs today so unsure what I could eat for ‘dinner’ as endro said. When you count carbs do you add the protein and fat into that? That’s the most food I’ve eaten in ages so maybe should just leave it there. Hubby bought bacon for me but I see it has dextrose in it so dunno I can eat it.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes my BMI is now 17.9 so underweight now. I don’t want to lose anymore weight but at the same time need to keep my numbers in check. I had some low carb chia seed/ milled flaxseed ‘porridge’ for breakfast with a few spoonfuls of FF Greek yog as my FBS was low (with tea no added sugars almond milk.) it didn’t spike me. Then just had lunch of 3 eggs ommlette with no sugars almond milk, grated cheese small amount of onions and handful of spinach steamed. Again with tea. That doesn’t usually spike me but now think I’ve prob had too many carbs today so unsure what I could eat for ‘dinner’ as endro said. When you count carbs do you add the protein and fat into that? That’s the most food I’ve eaten in ages so maybe should just leave it there. Hubby bought bacon for me but I see it has dextrose in it so dunno I can eat it.
Protein and fat doesnt have carbs really??? Did you discuss your eating (or lack of it) with your endo? Did he say you are diabetic? What was your lat HbA1c?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
THis is important. There is a physiological condition where enforced non-eating, such as in this condition, can affect your bodies hunger rhythms. It can mimic anorexia nervosa and needs treatment both physically and psychologically. Often anti-anxiety medicine is needed for a while.
I do not agree with this generalisation. I had this on my three pregnancies 30 years ago and had to be hospitalised for drip feeding several times. All pregnancies were a joyful event to me and I was neither anxious, depressed or unhappy. But try as I did I could not hold down any food or water for very long. Lost one and a half stone in first 12 weeks on No 1 then I changed GP and got better care. I think it is so debiliitating that it can cause mental illness as a result of having it.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not agree with this generalisation. I had this on my three pregnancies 30 years ago and had to be hospitalised for drip feeding several times. All pregnancies were a joyful event to me and I was neither anxious, depressed or unhappy. But try as I did I could not hold down any food or water for very long. Lost one and a half stone in first 12 weeks on No 1 then I changed GP and got better care. I think it is so debiliitating that it can cause mental illness as a result of having it.
Then it's a good job I said "can" isn't it. No sweeping generalisation at all.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Protein and fat doesnt have carbs really??? Did you discuss your eating (or lack of it) with your endo? Did he say you are diabetic? What was your lat HbA1c?
I was asking more about packaged foods like chia seeds. They seem to have the protein and fat listed separately which is a bit confusing. He said he didn’t think so but will do tests and that stress is putting my numbers up. Thinks the stress is also causing deflated vitamins. My HBA1c was 30mmol/l on 30 April. Also said I do need to be eating passed 2.30pm but I think I’ve had too many carbs today already.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s awful isn’t it. I dunno how you did 3 pregnancies, that’s so brave. My most recent literally almost killed me. No drugs would help and they had to give me steroids which increased GD risk but they didn’t work well either. I was in hospital every week.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was asking more about packaged foods like chia seeds. They seem to have the protein and fat listed separately which is a bit confusing.

Protein and fat are not carbs, so should be considered separately.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was asking more about packaged foods like chia seeds. They seem to have the protein and fat listed separately which is a bit confusing. He said he didn’t think so but will do tests and that stress is putting my numbers up. Thinks the stress is also causing deflated vitamins. My HBA1c was 30mmol/l on 30 April. Also said I do need to be eating passed 2.30pm but I think I’ve had too many carbs today already.
Not eating is causing low vitamins. Do you know what a carb is, what it does, how many you are eating?

At your Hba1c level fats and proteins will not cause your blood sugar levels to increase. Eat as much of them as you can.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s awful isn’t it. I dunno how you did 3 pregnancies, that’s so brave. My most recent literally almost killed me. No drugs would help and they had to give me steroids which increased GD risk but they didn’t work well either. I was in hospital every week.
Yes it is and that many years ago you didnt get much compassion like it was your fault.
I hope Kate the Duchess of Cambridge who had it badly on George but on all her pregnancies was treated better. I lost my second at 13weeks. I knew because I tried a slice of toast and was able to keep it down. Within less than a day I miscarried. I always had it in my mind that the baby took what it needed from me to thrive and that helped me through. I didnt have any drugs. I think compassion goes a long way when you are ill for whatever reason.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Not eating is causing low vitamins. Do you know what a carb is, what it does, how many you are eating?

At your Hba1c level fats and proteins will not cause your blood sugar levels to increase. Eat as much of them as you can.
I know there are carbs in everything. I think my breakfast was 8.39 carbs minus the double cream as 100ml is 3.9g carbs and I only had 15ml and Greek yog I had 30ml and it’s 4.9 per 100g. Not great with maths.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I know there are carbs in everything. I think my breakfast was 8.39 carbs minus the double cream as 100ml is 3.9g carbs and I only had 15ml and Greek yog I had 30ml and it’s 4.9 per 100g. Not great with maths.
Rach, there are not carbs in everything! You seem to be confused somewhere along the line and it would help if you explained why you think this? Are you, for example, confusing carbs and energy? Fats do not contain any carbohydrates at all and are safe to eat if you are concerned about blood glucose levels.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m glad the endo is on the ball. No apparent diabetes and the cause of higher fasting seems to be the mental health and stress from your past experiences. So now you know where to focus your energies.

Carbs are not in everything and are counted totally separately and from your description you’ve hardly had any anyway. Have you actually counted them or are you guessing and fearful? It’s not really had a lot of food either no wonder you are still losing weight. You can eat protein and fat, without worrying about blood glucose, to fill you up and raise your metabolism and maintain or ever regain some weight.

Packaged food refers more to those items when they have had stuff done to it ie processed not just because it came in a package. Chia seeds are not packaged food. How much dextrose is in the bacon? What does the label say about carbs per 100g.

What do you mean 8.39 minus the cream??

3.9 divided by 100 is 0.039 carbs per 1ml x 15ml = 0.58 carbs.
4.9 /100=0.049 x 30 = 1.47

so just over 2 carbs for the cream and yogurt.

Depending on portion sizes etc you could easily be under 10 g of carbs today. Very very few eat that little. Especially none diabetics and those that do eat way more other foods alongside those few carbs. Anything under 130g a day is low carb. Even 20g a day (keto) is considered pretty extreme to most people.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Rach, there are not carbs in everything! You seem to be confused somewhere along the line and it would help if you explained why you think this? Are you, for example, confusing carbs and energy? Fats do not contain any carbohydrates at all and are safe to eat if you are concerned about blood glucose levels.

So I joined this reversing type 2 diabetes Facebook group (it’s American) and they say to stay under 30g of net carbs a day and I think they count protein and fat maybe even fibre in that. Loads of people have been able to come off their medication and get their numbers down. Like eggs contain some carbs when I google as which bacon although a small amount.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I joined this reversing type 2 diabetes Facebook group (it’s American) and they say to stay under 30g of net carbs a day and I think they count protein and fat maybe even fibre in that. Loads of people have been able to come off their medication and get their numbers down. Like eggs contain some carbs when I google as which bacon although a small amount.
are you in the UK? if so, the US carb counting system is different to ours. You dont need to come off medication. You dont need to get your numbers down.

Reactions: HSSS

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How many grams of protein in an egg? Are there carbs in eggs? This table has the answers to your questions.

Egg nutrition information Per Small Egg (48 grams) Per Medium Size Egg (58 grams) Per Large Egg (68 grams) Per Very Large Egg (78 grams) Per 100 grams
Energy kcal (calories) 54 66 78 90 131
Energy kJ 227 277 326 377 547
Fat (g) 3.7 4.6 5.4 6.2 9.0
Saturates (g) 1.0 1.3 1.5 1.7 2.5
Monounsaturates (g) 1.4 1.7 2.0 2.4 3.4
Polyunsaturates (g) 0.6 0.7 0.9 1.0 1.4
Carbohydrate (g) trace trace trace trace trace
Sugars (g) trace trace trace trace trace
Protein (g) 5.2 6.4 7.5 8.7 12.6
Salt (g) 0.16 0.20 0.23 0.27 0.39

I simply dont know where you are getting your carb information from. Where did you find it saying that eggs contain carbs?

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m glad the endo is on the ball. No apparent diabetes and the cause of higher fasting seems to be the mental health and stress from your past experiences. So now you know where to focus your energies.

Carbs are not in everything and are counted totally separately and from your description you’ve hardly had any anyway. Have you actually counted them or are you guessing and fearful? It’s not really had a lot of food either no wonder you are still losing weight. You can eat protein and fat, without worrying about blood glucose, to fill you up and raise your metabolism and maintain or ever regain some weight.

Packaged food refers more to those items when they have had stuff done to it ie processed not just because it came in a package. Chia seeds are not packaged food. How much dextrose is in the bacon? What does the label say about carbs per 100g.

What do you mean 8.39 minus the cream??

3.9 divided by 100 is 0.039 carbs per 1ml x 15ml = 0.58 carbs.
4.9 /100=0.049 x 30 = 1.47

so just over 2 carbs for the cream and yogurt.

Depending on portion sizes etc you could easily be under 10 g of carbs today. Very very few eat that little. Especially none diabetics and those that do eat way more other foods alongside those few carbs. Anything under 130g a day is low carb. Even 20g a day (keto) is considered pretty extreme to most people.

thank you for your kind reply. I am guessing and terrified everytime to go to eat. So for the flaxseed i had 20g two dessertspoons 0.8 fat,carbs 0.6 and protein and chia seeds for 15g it’s carbs 0.4 protein 3.6 and fat 4.2 and I had 2 teaspoons 10 ml then a splash of alpro coconut no sugars no carbs but 1.2g fat in 100ml and 0.1g protein in the same. I gave the bacon to mummy as the fb group said avoid dextrose.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They may count their protein and fat but not in with their carbs. Separately. And if they are doing otherwise they are kooks and have no idea what they are doing. Americans list fibre differently on their labels which accounts for the. Doing different things when they count it. Every group will have their own rules depending on the personal view of the admin that started it. There is no one hard and fast rule. Every body is different. Every diabetic has a diff metabolism and different degree of insulin resistance. Some do fine on 100g carbs a day and get normal numbers. Some need less. A blanket rule just doesn’t work.

Yes an egg has a trace amount as some bacon might. Tiny amounts irrelevant to you in your situation.

What you need to put into perspective in your case is you are not diabetic. Your hba1c is the envy of all type 2 and most “normal” people. Your higher fasting have a perfectly reasonable alternative explanation. You do not need to count decimal places on carbs. You need to understand the labels, rules in groups and how to carb count or you’ll end up doing real damage to yourself through well intentioned but misinformed ideas.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you for your kind reply. I am guessing and terrified everytime to go to eat. So for the flaxseed i had 20g two dessertspoons 0.8 fat,carbs 0.6 and protein and chia seeds for 15g it’s carbs 0.4 protein 3.6 and fat 4.2 and I had 2 teaspoons 10 ml then a splash of alpro coconut no sugars no carbs but 1.2g fat in 100ml and 0.1g protein in the same. I gave the bacon to mummy as the fb group said avoid dextrose.
so 1g of protein total.

Bacon doesnt always contain dextrose, and even if it does, if it is only a small amount it is fine. Do you understand how to calculate the carb content of a food based on portion size?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So 1g carbs!! How is that too much?

Please leave that group ASAP. No dextrose isn’t great but what quantity is relevant. It might be a pinch and no a problem at all.

Your problem is not carbs or diabetes. It’s an eating disorder/anxiety/stress/ptsd/lack of understanding low carb.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
So 1g carbs!! How is that too much?

Please leave that group ASAP. No dextrose isn’t great but what quantity is relevant. It might be a pinch and no a problem at all.

Your problem is not carbs or diabetes. It’s an eating disorder/anxiety/stress/ptsd/lack of understanding low carb.
It was the dextrose that I didn’t like. If it wasn’t in it I wouldn’t have minded. I don’t understand how to low carb you are right. That’s why I’m scared to eat much.