Do all roads lead to diabetes for me?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am having help from my CPN and on list for counselling but Dr did say to be low carb and that was what I was struggling with. I do appreciate the help I’ve been given here so hopefully I can keep my numbers down. I’m sure you guys can manage not to look ill with all the weigh loss just to keep your numbers down. That’s why I was asking. I wasn’t trying to be rude, just want to stay out of pre-diabetic/diabetic range on the HBA1c.
Low carb is under 130g a day. Not aiming for zero. If you lower your carbs, you need to make up for that by eating more protein or fats.

Weight loss at your BMI is not desirable or useful. More proteins and fats are the answer.

Reactions: Rach612

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I can gather you want a low carb way of eating but not to be losing weight rapidly. If you reduce carbs but want to maintain weight (in your case increase it) you must eat a good quantity of protein and good fats. There are people who are not diabetic who eat Low Carb people BUT its all about finding the right level and that doesnt happen instantly. Expect trial and error but thats ok. For us diabetics we go by if a meal rises more than 2 when tested before and two hours after we tweak it (look for the culprit maybe eg chilli I have much less of the kidney beans) if its just over but if it jumped startingly we would ditch it. You have much more freedom. Could you go back to the Diet Doctor website and just look at the infographics of different types of food stuff and it shows which veg are lower than others, its useful. Eat salad and green leafy veg with abandon. Eat protein: chicken, fish, steaks, any red meat, eggs. Do you like eggs. So many ways to get good protein and a little fat to build up your weight. Omelletes, scrambled eggs. eg. If your husband likes Bolognese you have it too with courgetti or cauli rice or just green beans. Same with chilli, roast chicken with lots of veg. Burgers without the bun but cheese & bacon on top, salad on the side. Dont eat something you dont like just because its LC. Its not a crime to avoid cake but just eat enough good stuff to make you healthy. You have loads of options, lots, carbs are mot all equal. Hugs.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
This is not how it works. Dinner doesn’t automatically raise fbs. Food does not raise fbs. Carbs are what raise bgl. Sometimes an excess of carbs one day might reflect in the next days fbs but not always. Generally bgl will return to pre meal level after a few hours.

Not everyone reacts the same to all foods. Many of us eat a few tomatoes here and there. Grains and porridge are much more likely suspects than salads.

he said low carb. (Which means anything under about 150g carb a day. You seem to aiming for zero carb. A world of difference.

Do you always make so many assumptions, generalise this much, be so literal and become so extreme or is it just on this issue? I’m sorry that sounds so harsh but you seem not to be able to see this is how it looks from the outside and why I think this is about so much more than diabetes.
that’s because we eat proteins and fats pretty much at will. And if we lose more weight than we want we increase these elements. It is only carbs that we restrict not all food.
My uncle was diabetic and lost this legs and died which is why I’m very frightened. It’s just from past experience like say if I have something to eat for dinner bacon, yogurt my blood sugar will go up say to 5.7/6 depending what it is and then to get it down before bedtime I go out for a half an hour brisk walk get it down to maybe 4.5 if I’m lucky and then when I go to sleep it will go up overnight. Having said that I ate a pack of crispy bacon on the way back from a family event at 7.40pm for dinner walked at 9.30pm to lower my bs and it was ok. It’s just I read so many thinks like no eat this, don’t eat that from American doctors online. ‘Do intermittent fasting’ ‘lose 2 1/2 stone quickly’ ‘You don’t want to end up on the liver transplant list’.

From what I can gather you want a low carb way of eating but not to be losing weight rapidly. If you reduce carbs but want to maintain weight (in your case increase it) you must eat a good quantity of protein and good fats. There are people who are not diabetic who eat Low Carb people BUT its all about finding the right level and that doesnt happen instantly. Expect trial and error but thats ok. For us diabetics we go by if a meal rises more than 2 when tested before and two hours after we tweak it (look for the culprit maybe eg chilli I have much less of the kidney beans) if its just over but if it jumped startingly we would ditch it. You have much more freedom. Could you go back to the Diet Doctor website and just look at the infographics of different types of food stuff and it shows which veg are lower than others, its useful. Eat salad and green leafy veg with abandon. Eat protein: chicken, fish, steaks, any red meat, eggs. Do you like eggs. So many ways to get good protein and a little fat to build up your weight. Omelletes, scrambled eggs. eg. If your husband likes Bolognese you have it too with courgetti or cauli rice or just green beans. Same with chilli, roast chicken with lots of veg. Burgers without the bun but cheese & bacon on top, salad on the side. Dont eat something you dont like just because its LC. Its not a crime to avoid cake but just eat enough good stuff to make you healthy. You have loads of options, lots, carbs are mot all equal. Hugs.
I love eggs ommlettes they are my safe food. That’s interesting you can have bolognese without the pasta. I thought we would have to avoid because of the sauce. I’ve made cauliflower rice before and it’s lovely.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use cauliflower rice with pasta sauce.

Your post meal blood sugar levels are perfect and non diabetic levels.

Focus on lots of nourishment from protein and fat.

What protein do you like, apart from eggs? Eggs are great too. Do you like chicken, beef, pork, milk, cheese, tofu, soya?

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I use cauliflower rice with pasta sauce.

Your post meal blood sugar levels are perfect and non diabetic levels.

Focus on lots of nourishment from protein and fat.

What protein do you like, apart from eggs? Eggs are great too. Do you like chicken, beef, pork, milk, cheese, tofu, soya?
Thanks. I like cod fillets they are frozen without batter or bread, chicken, bacon, mild cheddar cheese. Milk I don’t really take just the no added sugar almond milk. Beef burgers I could do.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I like cod fillets they are frozen without batter or bread, chicken, bacon, mild cheddar cheese. Milk I don’t really take just the no added sugar almond milk. Beef burgers I could do.
That's great. How about butter or olive oil? Full fat cheese is better for you than low fat cheese if you can eat it.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
That's great. How about butter or olive oil? Full fat cheese is better for you than low fat cheese if you can eat it.
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you, yes I like the mild cheddar cheese in a slab never reduced fat. I cook with olive oil and love real butter. Maybe could have say chicken, cheese and lettuce even have olive oil over the lettuce for dinner say? Unless that’s too carby with the lettuce. If you like fish yourself, you might like the cod I sometimes have. :)https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui...--boneless-atlantic-cod-chunky-fillets-x4-00g

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
even have olive oil over the lettuce for dinner say? Unless that’s too carby with the lettuce.
There are no carbs in olive oil. Lettuce has about 1 gram of carbs per 100 grams. There is no way lettuce with olive oil is 'too carby'.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
There are no carbs in olive oil. Lettuce has about 1 gram of carbs per 100 grams. There is no way lettuce with olive oil is 'too carby'.
Super, thank you. I’ll have that then. Might even have it for lunch today. :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you, yes I like the mild cheddar cheese in a slab never reduced fat. I cook with olive oil and love real butter. Maybe could have say chicken, cheese and lettuce even have olive oil over the lettuce for dinner say? Unless that’s too carby with the lettuce. If you like fish yourself, you might like the cod I sometimes have. :)https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui...--boneless-atlantic-cod-chunky-fillets-x4-00g
any green vegetable - including lettuce, is safe for you to eat as much as you like. Putting olive oil on the greens, or butter is a very good idea.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about mayonnaise? I love to dip my chicken in full fat mayo and it's low carb.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
How about mayonnaise? I love to dip my chicken in full fat mayo and it's low carb.
That’s a good idea but Mayo makes me sick unfortunately. I would have had salad cream before but dunno that would work. The olive oil over a salad is a good idea. Thanks so much.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rach612 in your shoes, I’d keep things as simple as possible. A low carb/ketogenic way of eating is beneficial for many people, not just those with diabetes.

Rather than getting tied up with complex calculations/ trying to hit specific macros, my suggestion would be to eat a broad range of real, unprocessed, fresh foods - meat, fish, eggs, dairy, above ground vegetables, low carb fruits of desired. As you don’t need to lose weight, ensure sufficient protein and don’t worry about the amount of fat. Then just make sure you’re eating often enough and in large enough quantities to ensure you get all the nutrients you need.

I know in your situation this might be easier to say than do, but having a simple set of guidelines in relation to food, may help address other issues.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks so much Optimist1, that’s really helpful.

@Rach612 in your shoes, I’d keep things as simple as possible. A low carb/ketogenic way of eating is beneficial for many people, not just those with diabetes.

Rather than getting tied up with complex calculations/ trying to hit specific macros, my suggestion would be to eat a broad range of real, unprocessed, fresh foods - meat, fish, eggs, dairy, above ground vegetables, low carb fruits of desired. As you don’t need to lose weight, ensure sufficient protein and don’t worry about the amount of fat. Then just make sure you’re eating often enough and in large enough quantities to ensure you get all the nutrients you need.

I know in your situation this might be easier to say than do, but having a simple set of guidelines in relation to food, may help address other issues.

Thank you Goonergal. I branched out today and had 2 slices of bacon, a small piece of chicken and small portion of lettuce with olive oil over it. And my usual tea (wasn’t decaf though) with no sugars almond milk. I feel I’ll be able to work up to 3 meals as day now with you guys help. Might try chicken, cauliflower rice with butter over it an idea from Lucy. My numbers were a bit weird overnight hitting 5.7 on and off from 5.25am 5.8 when I got up with the baby at 6.45am but went back to bed and when I properly got up was 5.3 on Dexcom and 3.9 on tee2+. Not the worse numbers for me in all fairness. I was quite stressed after my walk before bed as was trying to work out macros in foods that I had eaten yesterday and my hubby or I couldn’t seem to get to grips with the carb manager app as it’s American. The whole net/total carbs when entering foods confused us.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you Goonergal. I branched out today and had 2 slices of bacon, a small piece of chicken and small portion of lettuce with olive oil over it. And my usual tea (wasn’t decaf though) with no sugars almond milk. I feel I’ll be able to work up to 3 meals as day now with you guys help. Might try chicken, cauliflower rice with butter over it an idea from Lucy. My numbers were a bit weird overnight hitting 5.7 on and off from 5.25am 5.8 when I got up with the baby at 6.45am but went back to bed and when I properly got up was 5.3 on Dexcom and 3.9 on tee2+. Not the worse numbers for me in all fairness. I was quite stressed after my walk before bed as was trying to work out macros in foods that I had eaten yesterday and my hubby or I couldn’t seem to get to grips with the carb manager app as it’s American. The whole net/total carbs when entering foods confused us.
those numbers are very healthy. Well done.

optimist1

I understand you have some long standing dietary issues, I would guess your current situation isn't helping. I though the food list would give you options. There is a wide array of low carb foods you can have. One of the benefits is you don't have to watch calories, you just eat a balanced low carb meal, till you are satiated. At the moment you are watching every item on the plate. You can relax when it is all low carb, moderate protein and healthy fats.

This site may also help with choices. They talk about weight loss with low carb a lot, but you can also use it to gain healthy flesh. You just increase the protein.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/gain-weight

another thing is fat doesn't make you fat on low carb, it's used for energy. So if you add whey protein powder to these fat bombs, you will have treats that will also help put on flesh
https://www.google.com/search?q=fat...UPT30KHT5DBS0Q_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1093&bih=530

Last edited:
Reactions: Rach612 and HSSS

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand you have some long standing dietary issues, I would guess your current situation isn't helping. I though the food list would give you options. There is a wide array of low carb foods you can have. One of the benefits is you don't have to watch calories, you just eat a balanced low carb meal, till you are satiated. At the moment you are watching every item on the plate. You can relax when it is all low carb, moderate protein and healthy fats.

This site may also help with choices. They talk about weight loss with low carb a lot, but you can also use it to gain healthy flesh. You just increase the protein.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/gain-weight

another thing is fat doesn't make you fat on low carb, it's used for energy. So if you add whey protein powder to these fat bombs, you will have treats that will also help put on flesh
https://www.google.com/search?q=fat...UPT30KHT5DBS0Q_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1093&bih=530
Thank you, that’s so helpful. Last night I made keto flaxseed crackers so might try one or 2 for lunch with butter and maybe some chicken on top. https://sugarfreelondoner.com/keto-...z3PtcYe8MC7181pHdBgyXKqR88xy6fzRjtke_CDZV_NKA

This am my Fbs was 6.1 Dexcom/ 4.9 tee2+ and 5.7 kinetik this am. I had some FF Greek yog with chia seeds for dinner at 4.30pm and a very small few pieces of chorizo at 7.30pm from hubby’s paella rinsed off with water before eating. Made the crackers went out for my brisk walk at 9pm for 40 mins lowered numbers from 5.2 to 4.4 dropping to 4.2 (all on dexcom) when getting home. Went to bed restless night, couldn’t sleep I could ‘feel’ my numbers were high; up and down to the toilet, sore head (seem to have got a cold). Got up with baby at 2.30am. See attached from 5.45am they stay at 6 mmol/l. Now after x2 cups of tea with almond milk and 2 bacon rashers, 3 eggs ommlette with 7g grated cheese I’m stuck at 5.9 on dexcom 5.1 kinetik and it will prob be like that for most of the day now.

Attachments

• 9E1BC687-945D-4A07-A9C7-D8F1F4D04992.png
    9E1BC687-945D-4A07-A9C7-D8F1F4D04992.png
    197.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, that’s so helpful. Last night I made keto flaxseed crackers so might try one or 2 for lunch with butter and maybe some chicken on top. https://sugarfreelondoner.com/keto-...z3PtcYe8MC7181pHdBgyXKqR88xy6fzRjtke_CDZV_NKA

This am my Fbs was 6.1 Dexcom/ 4.9 tee2+ and 5.7 kinetik this am. I had some FF Greek yog with chia seeds for dinner at 4.30pm and a very small few pieces of chorizo at 7.30pm from hubby’s paella rinsed off with water before eating. Made the crackers went out for my brisk walk at 9pm for 40 mins lowered numbers from 5.2 to 4.4 dropping to 4.2 (all on dexcom) when getting home. Went to bed restless night, couldn’t sleep I could ‘feel’ my numbers were high; up and down to the toilet, sore head (seem to have got a cold). Got up with baby at 2.30am. See attached from 5.45am they stay at 6 mmol/l. Now after x2 cups of tea with almond milk and 2 bacon rashers, 3 eggs ommlette with 7g grated cheese I’m stuck at 5.9 on dexcom 5.1 kinetik and it will prob be like that for most of the day now.
Your FBG was probably inflated because you had a restless night and you fed up to feed the baby. Poor sleep and stress inflate my BG all on their own. Sometimes things are going on that you just have to park worry about levels and pat yourself on the back for doing your best. But its not a horrible level and all your other numbers look fine. I dont know if you made the paella or not but everything in there bar the rice would have been fine for you and you could have split the fried mix to two pans and added cauli rice to yours with only a little stock.

Reactions: HSSS and Rach612

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry hit the send button too soon. Was going to say my preference is to add my cauli rice after 3 mins in microwave and stir it through without stock but you can play around with that. I love that you are getting brave and trying things and picking up carb knowledge.