Do all roads lead to diabetes for me?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to bed restless night, couldn’t sleep I could ‘feel’ my numbers were high;
as you can see from this page: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
at no point have your numbers been high. Whatever you are feeling, its not high numbers.

Well done on the eating and way you are embracing carb counting. Have you got a reliable source of information now on what is a carb and how many carbs there are in foods and drinks?

This is a useful book to have, there may even be an app or kindle version. It shows portion sizes as well as the UK carbs in them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbs-Cals...keywords=carbs+and+cals&qid=1620903436&sr=8-1

Reactions: Rach612

optimist1

My kids are in their 40's and their eyes glaze over when I tell them my opinions, so be warned.
You know you have your BG under control, don't you. The FBG is always the last number to come in range and you are already very good. If you look at the leaflets, you may find that all these numbers fall within the margin of error. Test strips are normally more accurate and I would average them over a week. Dexcom has a 20% plus or minus allowable error rate vs a lab test. So it could be anywhere from 4.9
https://www.dexcom.com/faqs/is-my-dexcom-sensor-accurate

You have room for your post meal numbers to be higher for 1-3 hours, I would be very happy with a rise of 2 from my premeal number, when I'm really trying.
https://www.bloodsugar101.com/how-to-lower-your-blood-sugar
Here are what doctors currently believe to be non-diabetic readings:
Fasting blood sugar: under 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L)
One hour after meals under 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L
Two hours after meals under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L)

If this is your first bub, your world has been turned upside down. After 6 months, I don't think you remember what it's like to get a full nights sleep. If your house looks like a bomb has hit it, a weeks worth of ironing and your are in your dressing gown till lunchtime most mornings. I'd say you are doing fine. If your hair and make up is done by 8 and the house and bub is spotless, I'd worry.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry hit the send button too soon. Was going to say my preference is to add my cauli rice after 3 mins in microwave and stir it through without stock but you can play around with that. I love that you are getting brave and trying things and picking up carb knowledge.
Thank you. It was my sister-in-law that made it. I just worry that if I can’t get my overnight numbers down it will really inflate my HBA1c. As I know they are supposed to be up to 5.5 for a non-diabetic.

as you can see from this page: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
at no point have your numbers been high. Whatever you are feeling, its not high numbers.

Well done on the eating and way you are embracing carb counting. Have you got a reliable source of information now on what is a carb and how many carbs there are in foods and drinks?

This is a useful book to have, there may even be an app or kindle version. It shows portion sizes as well as the UK carbs in them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbs-Cals...keywords=carbs+and+cals&qid=1620903436&sr=8-1
Thanks Lucy, might order that, looks v useful. Yesterday I started using the nutracheck app. See attached, that was what I had yesterday although I think it must list the sugar and fibre separately from the total carbs I’m not sure.

Attachments

• CED0E2AE-0F7C-45AE-A204-7E93E388FFDD.png
    CED0E2AE-0F7C-45AE-A204-7E93E388FFDD.png
    904.9 KB · Views: 101

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. It was my sister-in-law that made it. I just worry that if I can’t get my overnight numbers down it will really inflate my HBA1c. As I know they are supposed to be up to 5.5 for a non-diabetic.

Thanks Lucy, might order that, looks v useful. Yesterday I started using the nutracheck app. See attached, that was what I had yesterday although I think it must list the sugar and fibre separately from the total carbs I’m not sure.
As @optimist1 has said FBG is notoriously difficult to get low and yours is A-ok and since your daytime readings are low and remember your A1c is an average you don’t need to worry.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have been successfully controlling my diabetes by diet only for over 9 years. I still have fasting blood levels of around 8 because thats what my body does. As soon as I open my eyes, my body dumps glucose to give me energy first thing, whether I need it or not. It happens to some people. Its OK. Your HbA1c and other blood levels are very good.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I started using the nutracheck app. See attached,
Great figures. Just remember that, as you are having fewer carbs, you need to up your protein and fats further than the nutracheck says to make up for it. So More protein, and more butter and olive oil, and lots of green veg and salad. You are on the right track now, well done.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
My kids are in their 40's and their eyes glaze over when I tell them my opinions, so be warned.
You know you have your BG under control, don't you. The FBG is always the last number to come in range and you are already very good. If you look at the leaflets, you may find that all these numbers fall within the margin of error. Test strips are normally more accurate and I would average them over a week. Dexcom has a 20% plus or minus allowable error rate vs a lab test. So it could be anywhere from 4.9
https://www.dexcom.com/faqs/is-my-dexcom-sensor-accurate

You have room for your post meal numbers to be higher for 1-3 hours, I would be very happy with a rise of 2 from my premeal number, when I'm really trying.
https://www.bloodsugar101.com/how-to-lower-your-blood-sugar
Here are what doctors currently believe to be non-diabetic readings:
Fasting blood sugar: under 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L)
One hour after meals under 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L
Two hours after meals under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L)

If this is your first bub, your world has been turned upside down. After 6 months, I don't think you remember what it's like to get a full nights sleep. If your house looks like a bomb has hit it, a weeks worth of ironing and your are in your dressing gown till lunchtime most mornings. I'd say you are doing fine. If your hair and make up is done by 8 and the house and bub is spotless, I'd worry.
Hopefully maybe the CGM is a bit off and meters and my fasting aren’t as bad as I think. It’s the 2nd baby, she’s a very content baby though which is good. I do feel bad for her as I’m so distracted with this whole diabetes thing I’ve been a bit ‘not present mentally shall we say’. But yes everyone is dressed in the house, and I’m always the last as you say. :)
As @optimist1 has said FBG is notoriously difficult to get low and yours is A-ok and since your daytime readings are low and remember your A1c is an average you don’t need to worry.
Thank you PenguinMum, I’m just a worrier and worry it will slowly sneak up on me I suppose.
I have been successfully controlling my diabetes by diet only for over 9 years. I still have fasting blood levels of around 8 because thats what my body does. As soon as I open my eyes, my body dumps glucose to give me energy first thing, whether I need it or not. It happens to some people. Its OK. Your HbA1c and other blood levels are very good.
That’s interesting, thank you Lucy. Michael Mosley makes it sound easy that you can get your fasting numbers down but it obv isn’t as like people were saying so many variables. That’s a long time without meds, well done. You should be very proud. Good point on the fats, hard to try and get everything right. I would recommend those crackers though. I did have some for lunch with butter and chicken on top and was tasty. Didn’t put up my numbers either which was good.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wanted to update you guys. My last HBA1c was 30mmol/l on 30 April and I got another one done on Wednesday there. I got the results today thinking it would have went up with all tHe high fasting numbers but it’s actually went down to 27 mmol/l which I’m a bit puzzled about. It’s great news but really don’t understand with the ‘symptoms’. Anyway I’m looking forward to speaking with this private health coach and with you guys encouragement I’m going to try to relax a bit and decided to go out for dinner (at lunch time) tomorrow for our 4 wedding anniversary. Going to get a plain steak with lettuce and olive oil over it. Not going to lie had my usual low carb meals today but did have a few biscuits with my cup of tea and of course that’s put my numbers up so will expect my numbers to be high tomorrow. :facepalm: Might try to make a keto scone at some point.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wanted to update you guys. My last HBA1c was 30mmol/l on 30 April and I got another one done on Wednesday there. I got the results today thinking it would have went up with all tHe high fasting numbers but it’s actually went down to 27 mmol/l which I’m a bit puzzled about. It’s great news but really don’t understand with the ‘symptoms’. Anyway I’m looking forward to speaking with this private health coach and with you guys encouragement I’m going to try to relax a bit and decided to go out for dinner (at lunch time) tomorrow for our 4 wedding anniversary. Going to get a plain steak with lettuce and olive oil over it. Not going to lie had my usual low carb meals today but did have a few biscuits with my cup of tea and of course that’s put my numbers up so will expect my numbers to be high tomorrow. :facepalm: Might try to make a keto scone at some point.
Well hopefully the takeaway is that even with some mildly raised fasting figures (which vary a fair bit by device so might not even be raised much at all!) your overall levels are perfect and the symptoms are stress related not bgl.

Enjoy your steak and go the full monty and have a real salad not just lettuce. Happy anniversary

Just a couple biscuits quite likely won’t effect tomorrow because your glucose regulation is working just fine as the hba1c shows. Though having salad, veggies and keto scones might be better alternatives for more than the occasional treat.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
brilliant news. It may be time to explore if your symptoms are due to something else. Perhaps when you are eating more then your body will settle.

Now you know you dont have to worry about whatever your meter says, as its not diabetes and food related. I call that a win.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you fancy a keto scone, try googling ‘keto biscuits’ as the Americans rule the internet and an American biscuit = UK scone. You probably find more choice of recipes that way.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Well hopefully the takeaway is that even with some mildly raised fasting figures (which vary a fair bit by device so might not even be raised much at all!) your overall levels are perfect and the symptoms are stress related not bgl.

Enjoy your steak and go the full monty and have a real salad not just lettuce. Happy anniversary

Just a couple biscuits quite likely won’t effect tomorrow because your glucose regulation is working just fine as the hba1c shows. Though having salad, veggies and keto scones might be better alternatives for more than the occasional treat.
Thank you HSS, I appreciate that. Perhaps the private endro is right and the stress is raising my am figures a bit. I’m going to keep an eye on my numbers and try to be a bit more adventurous with low carb stuff to try and fill up without spiking me.
brilliant news. It may be time to explore if your symptoms are due to something else. Perhaps when you are eating more then your body will settle.

Now you know you dont have to worry about whatever your meter says, as its not diabetes and food related. I call that a win.
Thanks Lucy I appreciate all your help and support. I hope you are keeping well yourself. You will be glad to know was on the phone with a counsellor this am and hopefully she’ll be able to fit me in next week.
If you fancy a keto scone, try googling ‘keto biscuits’ as the Americans rule the internet and an American biscuit = UK scone. You probably find more choice of recipes that way.
Ah amazing, thank you TeddyTottie I wouldn’t have thought of doing that so that’s so helpful.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so happy for you Rach. I think you are now on the way to eating healthily and sufficiently and keep going with that in mind. I hope you and your husband have a fab anniversary meal and instead of the usual accompanying chips ask for a mixed salad instead. As I said before stress,worry and bad sleep (cant be avoided with a baby) affect me and push my BG up.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
My HBA1c was 28 last week but I’m still getting 6’s and 7s in the am and peeing all the time and my hair is falling out and have put on a few pounds which I need to loose now nhs not happy as I’m not eating 2 meals a day or bread, pasta rice just mainly eggs bacon and FF Greek yogurt and some keto scones and they are wanting me to go back into hospital. Pls help me I’m so alone and don’t know what to do.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My HBA1c was 28 last week but I’m still getting 6’s and 7s in the am and peeing all the time and my hair is falling out and have put on a few pounds which I need to loose now nhs not happy as I’m not eating 2 meals a day or bread, pasta rice just mainly eggs bacon and FF Greek yogurt and some keto scones and they are wanting me to go back into hospital. Pls help me I’m so alone and don’t know what to do.

Your HbA1cs show nondiabetic results, and your previous posts have shown that stress and anxiety could well be causing your early morning readings, I think that your healthcare team wanting to readmit you to hospital may be a very sensible precaution.

Your hair loss and urination are clearly not caused by very high blood glucose, therefore they need a proper investigation and diagnosis.

Hopefully they will also be able to address your anxiety around diabetes at the same time.

I am very sorry that you are in such distress and so anxious, but your baby and husband need you healthy and strong.

if returning to hospital means that you will receive the correct diagnosis and treatment, then it is the best place for you to be.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hey are wanting me to go back into hospital. Pls help me I’m so alone and don’t know what to do.
Its a good idea to go to hospital and let them find out what is happening to your body. I will be vibing for you that they sort out your health issues and get you better. Getting treatment is the right thing to do.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are clearly worried about getting to the bottom of your health issues. They do not hospitalise people solely for being keto. And your list of foods is way more restrictive than a keto diet needs to be. Although hair loss after childbirth is common it can also be due to a drastic change in diet as well as several other medical reasons. You clearly do not diabetic bgl for any sustained period of the day with your hba1c at the level they are and the stress, waking for a baby and health anxiety may well be the cause of your fasted readings.
Please allow the drs trying to help you to do so, for your sake and that of your family who no doubt are also very worried about you too, whether that’s as in inpatient or out.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks you guys but I’m obviously a diabetic as stress isn’t going to give a non diabetic fasting numbers in the 6’s and 7’s. My liver must be so messed up from anti depressants since I was 16 and a previous high carb diet. I’m distraught, I need to be a diet controlled diabetic but if I can’t crack these am numbers they will just get worse and worse over time. Now hubby/nhs wants me to be eating 3 meals a day and eating in the evening no good for me or my numbers. Ironically a lot of the diagnosed diabetics are getting better numbers than me. I have scars on my skin that have been there for 6+months and now blisters on my heals of feet. I honestly think I put the diabetes in remission with dropping 2 1/2 stone after the birth and then carb crept and numbers went back up again and now can’t do it this time and I’m getting even worse numbers in the am.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks you guys but I’m obviously a diabetic as stress isn’t going to give a non diabetic fasting numbers in the 6’s and 7’s. My liver must be so messed up from anti depressants since I was 16 and a previous high carb diet. I’m distraught, I need to be a diet controlled diabetic but if I can’t crack these am numbers they will just get worse and worse over time. Now hubby/nhs wants me to be eating 3 meals a day and eating in the evening no good for me or my numbers. Ironically a lot of the diagnosed diabetics are getting better numbers than me. I have scars on my skin that have been there for 6+months and now blisters on my heals of feet. I honestly think I put the diabetes in remission with dropping 2 1/2 stone after the birth and then carb crept and numbers went back up again and now can’t do it this time and I’m getting even worse numbers in the am.
I think the sooner you get medical treatment and a thorough going over physically and mentally the better you will feel. After all, you have tried many things, and none of them are doing you good, so further investigation and support is needed. Keeping on the way you are isnt working.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m obviously a diabetic
Why believe the fasting numbers diagnose you when you refuse to believe hba1c doesn’t?

There’s valid reasons why fasting can be raised other than diabetes - which you also don’t believe - yet nothing I can think of that would prevent the hba1c showing significantly higher numbers if diabetes were the cause of the raised fasting numbers.

The health issues you describe have other causes (lack of nutrition for example) not just diabetes.

I need to be a diet controlled diabetic
I think this says it all really

Please let the drs help you. You have a lot of misconceptions about diabetes and eating and need medical help, not least of which to prevent further decline to your emotional state.