Do any of you wear diabetic ID tags/bracelets?

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I was wondering if I should wear a tag/bracelet stating type 2? Do any of you wear ID? Is it a good idea?
If so, where did you purchase it? Thanks Beryl

Reactions: Sean01

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I wear a necklace chain and information card in my wallet.
From the same place as @azure.

Some have tattoos!

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I always wear a dog tag engraved with details and phone number address etc if out on a run or hiking, biking, be silly not to.

I got mine off ebay, engraved with personal details and ICE details, did the job.

ebay

Last edited:
Reactions: Liam1955

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I always wear a dog tag engraved with details and phone number address etc if out on a run or hiking, biking, be silly not to.

I got mine off ebay, engraved with personal details and ICE details, did the job.

ebay

@Spencer67 Am I being thick, what is ICE?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was wondering if I should wear a tag/bracelet stating type 2? Do any of you wear ID? Is it a good idea?

Personally, I don't @berylc . Your profile suggests you are managing your diabetes by diet alone (i.e. no medication). In those circumstances it is unlikely you would have a medically concerning hypo, which is probably one of the driving reasons others wear some medical ID, but realistically, it's up to you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Spencer67 Am I being thick, what is ICE?
ICE stands for In Case of Emergency
You put contact details and medical condition in your phone contacts list under ICE so emergency services can check if you have any medical conditions they need to know and who should be contacted.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @berylc . Like @azure has said MedicAlert offer some great kit. I have a dog tag necklace. Also carry information in my wallet. Pride and joy is my Rod of Asclepius tattoo on my left forearm. As per my avatar.:)

Reactions: berylc
D

Deleted member 308541

Am I being thick, what is ICE?
It stands for In Case of Emergency.

I have one of these Quoll digital pendants with all of my ICE details listed in my account on their website.

I have a ICE contact in my mobile phone listing listing what medical conditions I have. Also medication and a contact number for my partner are shown.

Edit: To many listings. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

ukuleleplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cold, wet weather.
I'm T2, controlled with strict diet. I have a nice steel, expanding men's bracelet saying "Type 2 diabetes". I also have dog tags with ICE and T2 etc. I wear whichever seems most appropriate, especially when on holidays abroad.
Last thing you need is for someone to give you something, quite innocently, that'll send you low or high.
Bought my stuff from e-bay.

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I do not wear an ID, but I do carry an "In Case of Emergency" (ICE) form in the see-thru folder of my wallet, showing my ailments, Meds, Next of kin, and GP. Every one who sees it thinks "What a brill idea! I am going to do the same!"

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I do wear a bracelet and also use ICE, But I have other conditions as well so diabetes is just one of the conditions detailed.

Reactions: berylc and Liam1955

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I have a Medic Alert bracelet.
Its a fairly new thing, as much because of my bee sting allergy as the RH/T2, the odds of me needing it are miniscule, but then when it happens, the need is urgent, isn't it?
Ironically, I should have been wearing one for 30 years, for the bee sting thing, but only got one this year, when a family member gave me quite a lecture on the subject. :D

S

Sean01

I'm going to wear one on holiday. I'm Type 2. but mainly for my own benefit. Malta got its name from the Roman 'Melita' which means land of honey - because, there was a lot of honey to be had. quite simple. The island is one huge obstacle course for Type 2's - with ice cream parlours, pizzas and fantastic street food on , well....every street. The black band is to remind me to behave.. When the time comes I will eat myself to death, but not for a while yet.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @berylc I wear a Silver Bracelet inscribed with Diabetes on it. Also carry a card in my wallet stating I am on Insulin and other Diabetic Medications.

Reactions: berylc and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I wear my 'I am insulin dependant' wrist band from this forum and have ICE details in my mobile. Which isn't password sensitive. And my insulin type info cards in my card holder in my handbag/backpack.

Reactions: berylc and James13

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're not alone, I thought it was for your favorite track of Vanilla Ice for ages until i found out otherwise. ;):)

"In Case of Emergency" identification and personal details form
(Remember the only stupid question, is the one you didn't ask, so never be afraid to ask for clarification if something is unknown to you!)

Reactions: berylc