Type 1 Do any type 1 diabetics have a huge change in hypo symptoms after a long

Florence5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a 67 year old who developed diabetes at the age of 19. On injections for about 14 years and now a long- standing pump user for the last 33 years. Unfortunately, I only became aware that the forum existed after trialling the Freestyle Libre or I would have tried to communicate with others over the years. Feel somewhat isolated as my friends forget that I have a health issue!

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is normal to experience different hypo symptoms over time. A common thing that happens to people who have been diabetic for some time is hypo unawareness, when you can't feel any symptoms. Personally, I usually have a few symptoms that happen for almost every hypo or fast decrease in blood sugar (funny feeling in my head, sweaty, shaking hands) and other symptoms that only occur sometimes, often for particularly low blood sugars. My very first hypo ever, a couple of days after I was diagnosed, I felt dizzy. That has NEVER happened to me since haha. If you are concerned about your hypo symptoms then talk to your doctor!

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree that hypo symptoms change over time. At the moment, if my blood sugar is close to the bottom of the normal range, I start to yawn and my eyes water. I went through 18 months of having double vision if hypo, when I was pregnant and for some months afterwards. The more standard stuff like getting hot and sweating and feeling shaky has always happened and still does.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I find that if I keep my HbA1C too low I start losing hypo awareness during naps. Plus, I just have too many hypos... So I don't aim for "perfect" control.

Florence5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It is normal to experience different hypo symptoms over time. A common thing that happens to people who have been diabetic for some time is hypo unawareness, when you can't feel any symptoms. Personally, I usually have a few symptoms that happen for almost every hypo or fast decrease in blood sugar (funny feeling in my head, sweaty, shaking hands) and other symptoms that only occur sometimes, often for particularly low blood sugars. My very first hypo ever, a couple of days after I was diagnosed, I felt dizzy. That has NEVER happened to me since haha. If you are concerned about your hypo symptoms then talk to your doctor!

I keep my blood sugars low on purpose as I feel that it is the key to preventing other complications. The biggest change I have noticed in the last couple of years is more hunger if the sugar level is 4 ish or a sudden urge to pass urine. I play golf and take quite a bit of exercise so it isn’t easy to access a toilet. Yuh !

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m T2D and work to keep my CBG < 100, but when I had my OGTT my 1 hr glucose was 220 or 12.2 and my 3 hr glucose was 38 or 2.1. Needless to say reactive hypoglycemia was added to my diagnosis. I had no idea, just a bit tired, but I work nights and am always tired. Not realizing, I drove 5-6 miles on the highway to do some shopping. Thankfully no accident. This did explain why I have no stop button if you give me carbs to eat. It also explained why my sisters personality has always been sugar dependent.
I read somewhere that if you consistently have hypoglycemic episodes your body does not release epinephrine as a response and you do not generate symptoms to be aware of. So, symptoms probably do change depending on where your blood glucose tends to live and how often you have a hypoglycemic episode.