Do I need 3 months of bg levels to apply for a driving licence?

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I met with the registrar of my doctor and he mentioned that if I am applying for a driving licence I need to show three months worth of finger prick tests for the licence itself.... I mainly use my libre and am aiming to pass my test in December so do I need to start doing tests again? I've only heard of the rules regarding testing during driving and not that there would be a requirement for bg results. Has anyone had to provide this information?

I have never been in hospital for my diabetes and the last time I suffered severe hypo I was 7 years old, not sure if that would change things at all?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @isjoberg - that only applies on the commercial licenses, not on the private ones, as far as I am aware. If you go and check the DVLA website relating to Diabetes there is no mention of it for a normal license.

Reactions: isjoberg

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only if you're applying to drive a hgv or a bus. Not if you just want to drive a car.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yes hgv and bus only....i go thru it every year
As I've discovered this morning. HGV, Bus, or any motorhome or LGV between 3.5t and 7.5t :facepalm:

And yet you can drive a massive 2 tonne car with a 3 tonne caravan on the normal license. Go figure.