1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Do I Need To Even Out Taking Of Metformin

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by Paul33, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Paul33

Paul33 · Newbie

I was prescribed an increase from 2x500mg per day to 3x500mg per day earlier in the year but I'm having real problems remembering the lunchtime dose. I'm completely used to start and end of day dosage but I only remember the mid-day one on about half of the days ...... which isn't good !

My question is can I take 2x500mg with breakfast and the other one late in the day or do they have to be evenly spaced out ?

2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I'm on three per day and was told to take one in the morning and two at night. Metformin has a cumulative effect so is not strictly time sensitive.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Paul - I would think, in terms of how Metformin works, you should be fine to split your doses to morning and evening. One thing you should be aware of is the potential to have a few tummy issues when you up your doses. Not everyone has these issues, but you should be aware.

For most people, any tummy issues settle within a couple of weeks.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I was on three Metformin a day til I recently when I dropped to two, but I had the same problem remembering the lunch time dose so my GP suggested two at breakfast and one at dinner which is what I did and it didn’t make any difference to my readings.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook