Do let Diabetes go ? Is it a rare form of MODY

Thewomanintrouble

Hello everyone,

You may remember me from my previous posts about my son. But to give a back story- in case you don’t know it.

My son is currently undergoing investigations for diabetes. For one reason or another we had a few blood tests done and his hbac1 level was within the pre/diabetic range..HBA1 6.3. Worried, the Gp referred us to see an endocrinologist.

We saw the endocrinologist but she reckoned that it was my sons high use of steroid cream that was messing with the hbac1 level. We stopped the steroid cream anyway, 2 weeks prior to our visits with the Endo.

From that appointment we were told to measure his blood glucose levels. Which we did. They were all within normal range but high-normal. A few months later we went to see the Endo, who told us the results of our previous bloods, which we took at our previous appointment, and reckoned since his hbac1 was going down- then 5.8- he doesn’t have diabetes. But did another blood test just again- just incase !.

We did another blood tests and from that result, the hbac1 creeped up again- now to 6.0%. The Endo reckoned his results shouldn’t have crept back up yet since ending the steroid cream and ordered us to have the fasting glucose tolerance test.

Which we did and brings me back to the post. So we had this done. A few months ago, we were following a low carb-ish diet but since the upcoming appointment for the blood glucose test, we didn’t continue on with the low carb diet- especially since our Endo said my son was losing weight.

Anyway, the night before his test, he had pasta with spaghetti mince/ meatballs- he finished dinner around 8:15 pm and went to bed at 9pm, had few sips of water in the morning. He fasted from then. We went to the hospital and they did a fasting blood glucose test, it was 5.8. Then he was given a sugary glucose drink and was having his glucose readings tested every 30 minutes. These were the results: 5.8 (fasting), 7.7(after taking glucose drink), 6.5, 6.0, 5.0, (then he ate chicken tikka with rice and Ribena) 4.1.

I’m quite shocked that his results are a bit low. When the were coming up within high norma a couple of months ago. We are still not out of the woods for diabetes as they sent off his bloods to lab and the Endo will have a look at the result. But what do you think ? Is this the result of low carb ? My endo thinks it may be a rare form of MODY if his HBAC1 blood work is within the pre-diabetic range again. To be honest, I'm fed up of the constant testing and want my DS to enjoy his life. But if the Endo is adamant something isn't right, it's best to know than later. What do you guys think ? Could my son be in the honeymoon stage of Diabetes ?

Thank you :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Thewomanintrouble

Your son's results do not indicate diabetes.

NICE recommended target blood glucose level ranges as follows:

by Type
Upon waking Before meals (pre prandial) At least 90 minutes after meals (post prandial)

Non-diabetic*
4.0 to 5.9 mmol/L under 7.8 mmol/L
Type 2 diabetes 4 to 7 mmol/L under 8.5 mmol/L
Type 1 diabetes 5 to 7 mmol/L 4 to 7 mmol/L 5 to 9 mmol/L
Children w/ type 1 diabetes 4 to 7 mmol/L 4 to 7 mmol/L 5 to 9 mmol/L

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
"These were the results: 5.8 (fasting), 7.7(after taking glucose drink), 6.5, 6.0, 5.0, (then he ate chicken tikka with rice and Ribena) 4.1." Nothing at all to say diabetic in those results.
I can remember your posts from before. I can totally understand you wanting to do everything for your son.....PLEASE let him live a normal life. As your endo has said get him off the low carb as he is loosing weight.
If he shows any signs of peeing a lot or drinking a lot or moody, not sleeping.....then get him tested again

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Hba1c results of 5.8 and 6.0 are the same, as they have error bars +/- 0.1%. His GTT looks fine to me.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone,

You may remember me from my previous posts about my son. But to give a back story- in case you don’t know it.

My son is currently undergoing investigations for diabetes. For one reason or another we had a few blood tests done and his hbac1 level was within the pre/diabetic range..HBA1 6.3. Worried, the Gp referred us to see an endocrinologist.

We saw the endocrinologist but she reckoned that it was my sons high use of steroid cream that was messing with the hbac1 level. We stopped the steroid cream anyway, 2 weeks prior to our visits with the Endo.

From that appointment we were told to measure his blood glucose levels. Which we did. They were all within normal range but high-normal. A few months later we went to see the Endo, who told us the results of our previous bloods, which we took at our previous appointment, and reckoned since his hbac1 was going down- then 5.8- he doesn’t have diabetes. But did another blood test just again- just incase !.

We did another blood tests and from that result, the hbac1 creeped up again- now to 6.0%. The Endo reckoned his results shouldn’t have crept back up yet since ending the steroid cream and ordered us to have the fasting glucose tolerance test.

Which we did and brings me back to the post. So we had this done. A few months ago, we were following a low carb-ish diet but since the upcoming appointment for the blood glucose test, we didn’t continue on with the low carb diet- especially since our Endo said my son was losing weight.

Anyway, the night before his test, he had pasta with spaghetti mince/ meatballs- he finished dinner around 8:15 pm and went to bed at 9pm, had few sips of water in the morning. He fasted from then. We went to the hospital and they did a fasting blood glucose test, it was 5.8. Then he was given a sugary glucose drink and was having his glucose readings tested every 30 minutes. These were the results: 5.8 (fasting), 7.7(after taking glucose drink), 6.5, 6.0, 5.0, (then he ate chicken tikka with rice and Ribena) 4.1.

I’m quite shocked that his results are a bit low. When the were coming up within high norma a couple of months ago. We are still not out of the woods for diabetes as they sent off his bloods to lab and the Endo will have a look at the result. But what do you think ? Is this the result of low carb ? My endo thinks it may be a rare form of MODY if his HBAC1 blood work is within the pre-diabetic range again. To be honest, I'm fed up of the constant testing and want my DS to enjoy his life. But if the Endo is adamant something isn't right, it's best to know than later. What do you guys think ? Could my son be in the honeymoon stage of Diabetes ?

Thank you :)
Those are excellent numbers; his pancreas is in fine working order, and you might consider a second opinion, because if your endo is feeding you lines about your kid being diabetic, he/she is full of it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When eating low carb it is essential to ensure that the diet is providing enough nutrition from fats and proteins to maintain weight - these days we are so fat phobic that people are actually starved of fats they need.
I have seen people squabbling over the last of the chicken fillets whilst the whole chickens and other parts are low priced or even marked down - crazy.

Thewomanintrouble

Thank you all. Just slightly shocked at the result. A couple of months ago, when we were measuring his glucose reading. They were between 6.5-7.7 two hours after eating. Is the glucose tolerance test really effective ? Could the Endo be right about the steroids making his blood sugars go a bit abnormal ?

Reactions: marie85

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Could the Endo be right about the steroids making his blood sugars go a bit abnormal ?

Steroids certainly do raise blood glucose levels. This is a known fact. This applies to steroids that are ingested. No idea if creams have the same effect. Try Google for this, or maybe someone on here knows the answer.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Seems your kid is fit as a fiddle and absolutely not diabetic at this point on the information you give.