Do T2's need to test frequently long-term?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have noticed a prevailing attitude that T2's dont need to test more than occasionally.

After the initial 3 months of frequent testing to find out what spikes us, there seems to be an unwritten rule that testing is no longer necessary.

I find this belief amongst HCP's and a number of T1's and some T2's on here. Whenever anyone says they need strips, the answer is that they dont because they are T2's.

Please can someone clarify this for me? :crazy:

My own thinking is that it is logical to continue to test so i keep the control I have found, and also identify other things, apart from diet, which influence me. It also will help me to quickly see if my diabetes is progressing, rather than waiting for my annual HbA1c.

Also, I dont eat the same things all the time, in the same amount and at the same time, so I can just test once for a meal, then never test again.

What does everyone think?

Defren

I used to test first thing in the morning, before every meal, two hours postprandial and also at bed time.

Now I test 2 hours postprandial and only if I am concerned what I have eaten may have spiked me. I am pretty confident now about what I am eating and the likely reaction, so really don't feel the need to test often any more.

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.
I test 4 times a day.I will make sure that my diabetes is not going to turn me blind,footless or dead,without prior knowledge.

hallii

10 years on I don't test much. I know what I can and can't eat and a 6 monthly HbA1c will tell me if things are not going well.

I don't test much but I do test, usually around something new or if I have been a bit naughty.

Newbies really do need to test, quite often probably for 6 months or so , but by then they should know what is good or bad to eat and be getting their BGs down.

All this assumes that they are controlled by diet and excercise and maybe Metformin. Other treatment needs ongoing testing and there is no way round that.

The fact is, after a few months there is little purpose in constant testing for T2s , no new infomation will be gained and it will make no difference to the diabetic outcome. If they haven't sorted things by then they probably never will.

If anyone wants to test forever then the cost of strips at £4.99 + P&P for 50 is probably affordable.

What annoys me is when newbies are told they can't have any strips or a meter on cost grounds when drug addicts get free methodone, re-hab clinics and so on.

It's not a fair sytem, but then it never was and probably never will be.

H

Grazer

For all the reasons you list, I think We need to continue testing. However, I don't think we need to test quite as much. For example, if I have the same fish in foil with veg, with the same few new pots, and broccoli , I know I'll be about the same as the last x number of times I tested for that meal. So why test again? But if I have something different with it, or have a different drink before, or try a different type of exercise, I will test to see if there's any change. I'll also test now and again with the same meal and routine to ensure things haven't changed. So continual testing, but less often.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I tend to run test campaigns every now and then where I test first thing and two hours after every meal.
Assuming that everything is looking reasonable I then stop for a while.
Not the most rigorous testing, but I do expect to be able to test when I want to.
So far, no problems getting test strips but my monthly useage is quite low.

Testing should be a matter of choice - whatever you are comfortable with.

I think if your general control is good you may not need to test every day.
However with changes in the season, changes in exercise levels etc. it is always good to have that test kit ready.

Cheers

LGC

Defren

LittleGreyCat said:
I tend to run test campaigns every now and then where I test first thing and two hours after every meal.
Assuming that everything is looking reasonable I then stop for a while.

Cheers

LGC

I can see this being pretty much what I will do. Just have fits of testing quite a bit, then not testing much at all. I have tested today as I had a food that I have had before, but I modified slightly today, so wanted to see if it caused a problem, it didn't but my mind was at peace. I don't feel *I* need to test nearly as often as I did, but absolutely agree people should test at a rate they feel comfortable with.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I've more or less given up testing. I didn't even take my kit with me to America last week.

I probably won't start again unless I feel the need to change my diet, or out of interest once in a while to make sure that my pancreas isn't packing up...

I'd prefer do to monthly A1CNow tests, if I had enough confidence in their ability.

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
Once my levels started to came down My GP said there was now no need to test as regular as we were before (6-7 times a day). I have been advised by him to test when I eat something different, when I feel unwell and to do random tests. I do find it reassuring that if I feel dizzy,clamy, sick etc that I can test to see. I am lucky that so far he has been true to his word and still giving my test strip

My little pinkies are relieved to being having a bit of a rest thou :wink:

Grazer

In general, I tend to ask myself "would I change anything according to the results of the test?" if the answer is no, for example I didn't like the new thing I tried anyway so wouldn't have it again, then I don't test. I test if I can change to improve results.

A

Anonymous

I too have greatly reduced my testing. I have the A1CNow test kit so I test my own HBA1C monthly, which should give me a jolt if I start to slip.

I test myself when I feel odd or have had something new (or a meal out). Sometimes I try and new food and test after it. I don't carry my meter around with me most of the time.

But then I eat much the same stuff now - I also refer to my carbs book still (esp when shopping) and I read packets religiously. I avoid anything that'll cost be more than about 6-8g carbs.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I tested 7 times a day for the first 3 months until I was confident and felt ok that I had everything under control. That first 3 months of testing really is critical in my opinion. I now only do a morning fasting test and before and 2 hours after dinner. I still find the fasting one useful as it gives me a good average. If I see it begin to rise then I cut the carbs back really low for a day or two which sorts it out.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed November 2010 with a finger prick test by the Nurse at level of 25 which I got down by diet and tablets and my HbA1c in August 2011 was 5.6 :D
The Nurse said I will see you in 12 months for your next check up. Fortunately I do get prescribed strips, the nurse says test twice a day, the Doctor twice a week!! But as a driver I test before I drive anyway.
Earlier this year my levels started to rise despite eating exactly the same meals as a year ago.
I went to see the Doctor and he said no worries they are still in single figures :!: and he upped my Metformin.
A bit after they were still rising so I went to see the Nurse, she said they are still at acceptable levels (these are morning fastings of 8's and 9's!!) so she added Januvia.
So by July and my annual review I knew I was headed for a high figure....well 8.1 and cholesterol up from 7.2 to 15 (as a result of long term high levels!!)....so now they are 'interested' in me as I don't tick the NHS boxes any more!! :lol: I am now being referred to the hospital.
So if I hadn't been testing and so got some extra medication I dread to think what level I would have been at by the annual review!! And all with the same lo carb (or now even lower carb) diet as last year!!

So just be aware even if they say don't test it does pay to just keep an eye on things as not everyone's system works as it should....the Doctor I have seen most recently ordered a full set of blood tests and has decided I am a Metabolic Disaster as he doesn't know why things have gone wrong :lol:

Regards
Angie

MaryJ

I think you make a very good point Angie. I wouldnt like to wait for an annual HBA1c test to know things were starting to slide.

I was testing obsessively for about 3 months, now like many above only test when new food, eat out or just an occaisional random cos Ive not done it for a while.

Mary x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I test less than hitherto but have not yet given up totally. I test less for two reasons. I never learn anything from the pre lunch test since it is always 4 plus or minus a gnat's whisker so I can enter an estimate for that. In my early experimental days I listed all the meals in my repertoire and tested after them to see how high the spike was. This list is on my wall and I pretty much know what is going to happen when I eat any of the listed meals. Obviously I now avoid the big numbers.

I still test new eating arrangements to find out what they do to the sugar level and at the moment I am doing an average test. I know it is not equivalent to Hba1c but I am logging whether the overall trend is up or down. Diabetes has become a bit of a hobby and if I think I can learn anything new I do the appropriate test.

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.
Not for me,prefer footy.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Grazer said:
Squire Fulwood said:
Diabetes has become a bit of a hobby

Do you think it will catch on?

Well I tried getting all upset about it in the early days but no-one cared so I had to begin to show an interest. It could become an Olympic event.

C

catherinecherub

lucylocket61 said:
I have noticed a prevailing attitude that T2's dont need to test more than occasionally.

After the initial 3 months of frequent testing to find out what spikes us, there seems to be an unwritten rule that testing is no longer necessary.

I find this belief amongst HCP's and a number of T1's and some T2's on here. Whenever anyone says they need strips, the answer is that they dont because they are T2's.

Please can someone clarify this for me? :crazy:

My own thinking is that it is logical to continue to test so i keep the control I have found, and also identify other things, apart from diet, which influence me. It also will help me to quickly see if my diabetes is progressing, rather than waiting for my annual HbA1c.

Also, I dont eat the same things all the time, in the same amount and at the same time, so I can just test once for a meal, then never test again.

What does everyone think?

A lot depends on what you mean by long term Lucy. I am ten years on from diagnosis.

In the first six months I did test frequently and got to know what I could and could not eat, how exercise and illness played a part in my readings and how a little deviation in foods could make a big difference to a reading. There are also those unexplained times when you eat something that has never caused you any trouble and out of the blue you find that every time you eat it, there is a rise in your blood sugars. You search for answers as to why the discrepancy and decide it may be the weather, stress you are under or a complete mystery. You give that particular food up for a few days and when you try it again it does not cause a high reading. Why?

After about six months I used to test a full day's readings once a week. Then it got to every two weeks, every three weeks, once a month. I still do a day's testing once a month, or if I am ill or if I have eaten something that I have never tried before I will do some testing..

I do have an unrelated condition that necessitates my taking a course of steroids for six weeks occasionally, maybe twice a year and I do keep an eye on my readings then as steroids do raise your blood sugars. There is no way that I would continue to take my blood sugars every day, I know what I can and cannot eat within reason and I do not want it to become an obsession.

The sad truth is that Diabetes Education never lets up and there is no graduation ceremony for any of us. We have to pay attention for the rest of our lives.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I used to test several times daily, but since injecting Victoza that gives me excellent control, I test just once a day at various times. My logic is, if I don't test once daily, how am I to know if something is going wrong.
I also return to frequent testing when down with any kind of infection and my GP is content with my diligence :D :thumbup: