Do these look like diabetic levels to you?

LouSarah

Hey all,

Just wanted to share my levels with you to get some feedback, thanks...

10/12
Fasting = 4.9
Hour after tea = 4.9 (not sure why it was this low? would walking 5 miles have anything to do with it?)

11/12
Fasting = 5.1
random mid afternoon test = 7.5 (about 2 hours after chicken breast and fries + kitkat).
Hour after tea = 6.5
today I walked 3miles

12/12
Hour after breakfast = 6.9
2 hours after tea = 7.4
today I walked 3 miles

13/12
hour after tea = 8.5
3 hours after tea = 7.1

14/12
Fasting BG = 4.6

So what do you think?
Thanks,

Lou

PS I am still experiancing almost all the diabetic symptoms (apart from weight loss basically) plus palpatations and migraines, during the past few days with these levels.

rach

I'm not an expert so I'd take most of what I say with a pinch of salt, but just some thoughts.

I wouldn't say that your levels are anything to acutely worry about - it'd be unlikely for you to have rapid onset type 1 for example if they're high but not really increasing in severity over the week.

Your fastings seem really pretty good - in terms of the qualifications for diabetes as such these levels I don't think would quite "qualify" you.

You post meals are a bit high however... and a bit slow to return to normal. Different people are set different targets but I was told to aim for less than 8 post meals, down to less than 6 by 3 hours later (apparently if I was non-diabetic you'd hope for return to less than 6 by 2 hours after food). However it must be remembered that this is for a "diabetic-style" diet ie no kitkats etc they perhaps skew it somewhat. You might find testing consistently 2 hours post meals helps build up a pattern though, as 1 hour post meal levels can vary significantly according to what you've eaten clouding how well your body is dealing with the sugar.

Post pradial glucoses can be the first to go off track when developing type 2, fastings can stay quite ok, so I would definitely keep an eye on them.

So long term you probably don't want to be running levels that high although short term I wouldn't worry too much. Sorry if you've mentioned this somewhere I've not read but are you eating normally or trying to eat low GI/low carb at all?

Incidentally re: palpitations. Sorry if you've mentioned this elsewhere but when do you get them? I was finding I had them 1-2 hours post meal...on some close glucose level monitoring it turned out they actually coincided with the fall from a very high glucose, not the glucose itself. Settled down when I started low-carbing and not getting high post meals. Just a thought...

Sorry to have waffled or if this doesn't make sense. As I say, I'm no diabetologist, so it's just some thoughts and quite possibly wrong.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Those 7s Could be a sign of diabetes. It would certainly be worth having a Glucose tolerance test. WEight loss isn't always much in T2 cases and if cought early, might well go unnoticed.
What prompted you to start testing blood sugar anyway?

LouSarah

Thanks for your responses guys!

I should have probably said what I eat - I changed my diet when I found out I have PCOS, I now live on a boring but tasty diet of:

Mini Wheetabix (choc chip kind) 50g with a banana and semi milk for breakfast

OR

Brown bread and reduced sugar jam toast.

(But mostly wheetabix, and all mentioned levels are on wheetabix)

Lunch is usually pasta with tuna or toast (as above)

I tend to have a 2 finger kit kat snack

Tea is normally chicken breast (lean) or turkey, with brown rice or veg (or both depending on portions)

My chicken burger lunch with fries was a treat - boss bought us lunch - its not a norm.

So taking into account this low sugar diet and good carbs - shouldnt they be lower? x x

jopar

The is a consideration that you need to apply to your readings, which in some parts are near borderline readings…

Have you been ill at all… Feeling under the whether with a slight cold, or just recovering from a cold, have you or have had a infection recently of some kind?

As these can for the non-diabetic produce raised the BG as the body fights the infection, cold! Another reason could be stress related if you have been under a lot of stress this can have the same effect…

But if the above doesn’t apply, then a good idea is to cut out sugary food such as the kitkat etc out of your diet and monitor if there is a noticeable changes….

To get a good idea of whats going on, and if you feel that you have to pay a visit to the doctor is to check BG as follows

Before breakfast (or when you first get up if you delay breakfast)
2 hours after breakfast
before dinner
2 hours after dinner
before tea
2 hours after tea
before bedtime

The hour after a meal really isn’t necessary at this stage, as it’s not normally used unless you are trying to determine a spike or a delayed adsorption of carbs, so a doctor wouldn’t be interested in the 1 hour test, but needs to have the 2 hour to make a better decision of what to do next.

LouSarah

I started testing because I have had diabetic symptoms for several years on and off and did the whole lloyds pharmacy test and was neg, and then mentioned it to dr when I was diagnosed with PCOS and she said about insulin resistance and she tested with one blood test and said no you're fine - so I thought why do I feel **** then? and started testing myself.

The palpatations seem random and but also like yours, matched low BG levels =S

x

LouSarah

no I havent been ill, just feeling rundown and tired, getting blurred vision (which I always associated with migraines), drinking loads which then means I pee loads which is annoying and interupting sleep!

The only reason I hadnt been testing that often is becuase im having to buy my strips and im a student and they're so expensive! =(

Trinkwasser

LouSarah said:
So taking into account this low sugar diet and good carbs - shouldnt they be lower? x x

Wheat is something that spikes me badly, also a small but significant number of both Type 2s and Type 1s. I'd be dropping most of those carbs at breakfast and substituting more protein fat and salad and reducing them the rest of the day. (Insulin resistance is usually highest in the morning and reduces through the day). That's what the 1 hour tests are important for, determining how high you actually go after eating. My pattern was to hit a high after breakfast which would then cause a low which I would feed which would produce another high . . . what we call rollercoastering. Now my BG is almost level through the day with only mild postprandial rises, it takes some work but pays off big time.