1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Do you and your partner eat similar food?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Northerngirl, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Northerngirl

Northerngirl Family member · Member

i was wondering how people feel about what their partner eats? If you've given up eating specific things to help with your BG level, do you find it difficult if your partner eats those things when you are about/ has them in the fridge/cupboard etc?

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

We eat nearly the same food, although my wife may occasionally have a dessert when eating out as where I don't.

What other people eat in my company has never upset me and my OH is no exception.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mrman

mrman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Most of the time eat the same except I have bigger portions lol. Why wouldn't we? Had a healthy diet before I was diagnosed, so why change. I personally find it easier to adjust my insulin to suit my diet/tastes than to adjust my diet just to use a bit less insulin. I naturally made the stuff once upon a time.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sirmione

Sirmione Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We eat much the same no great hardship on LCHF.

• Like Like x 2
  5. becky.ford93

becky.ford93 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Drinks are probably the only difference. Right now we're on holiday in an incredible hotel which does fresh orange juice with breakfast, that's hard for me! Though I always have a sip of his

• Like Like x 2
  6. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

My husband eats a pretty high carb diet, while I prefer and need a very low one. The only time we might share a similar meal is our main course at dinner time which he cooks, but he will usually make sure I get a lower carb version if necessary. The rest of the time he eats his high carbs and I eat my low ones. It doesn't bother me at all what he eats, and for the most part I much prefer my post diagnosis diet to my previous one which was not always of my choosing! :p

Robbity

• Like Like x 2
  7. mammamia2006

mammamia2006 · Guest

My husband and I rarely eat the same things. Mostly because I am a 'fussy sod' as he calls me and he eats anything/everything. Growing up my mum always made me, my sister & brother the same foods as my sister & brother are diabetic as well. I dont mind what people eat in front of me (as long as its not crab sticks, I HATE the smell of them lol)

• Like Like x 2
  8. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Hubby eats the same things as me now.

He used to binge away from me though.. Thats why he was overweight. He still occasionally has treats of **** donuts etc when people take them in to work but he no longer gets the crisps, flapjacks and chocolate and other rubbish...

• Like Like x 2
  9. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We eat the same main meal with adjustments for me, my son who has autism eats differently from us so I would be making 3 different meals instead of 2 - I have no problem with having foods in the house that I don't eat or other people eating stuff I don't. Why would I? My food choices are mine just like everyone else's are their own

• Like Like x 4
  10. graj0

graj0 · Guest

We eat the same, my meal just doesn't have potato/rice/pasta/bread. Usually works OK, except a meal that combines the carby things in the recipe like tuna pasta bake, an old fave.
    It needs discipline and some days are easier than others.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

We generally eat the same things although I have more veg and him more potatoes. Also whilst he has butterkist Popcorn and/or crisps I will have Tyrells sweet and salty popcorn or pork scratchings.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Celeriac

Celeriac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Husband has Non Coeliac Gluten Syndrome therefore he can eat LCHF. He has gluten free Swedish organic porridge or organic gluten free cornflakes or organic live natural yogurt with berries for breakfast.

If he's in the office or working from home we have lunch together. Otherwise he takes gluten free rolls with various things eg reduced salt corned beef, prosciutto, cold roast organic lamb with piccalilli, various organic cheeses with pickles. He varies it by taking fruits, seeds and nuts some days or a salad. I bought him a 12v cool box from Halfords and it is really really good.

He does have the occasional treat of gluten free muffins,sourdough bread, hot cross buns and cupcakes. He also has a stash of wine gums in his study and organic oven chips in the freezer, We eat the same dinner most of the time. He has less butter on veg or less of a high fat sauce than me. He was skinny except for his pregnant tum and it's now flat.

I am not at all bothered by people eating what they want,but rib my veggie carbaholic mother about cakes.

• Like Like x 2
    #12 Celeriac, Sep 11, 2015 at 11:44 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
  13. 4ratbags

4ratbags Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm the only one that eats LCHF in our household while everyone else eats whatever they want. At the beginning I found it quite hard to look at all the foods I used to eat but it doesn't bother me now. I will be dishing up their ice cream and I just cringe at the smell of the sugar when I open it. My son has mobius syndrome which is weakness of the face muscles so he can't chew meat very well so some nights I will cook 3 different meals.

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook