Do You Class Yourself As A) Reversed B) In Remission C) Controlled D) Other And Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm classing myself as in remission as my last hba1c was 41. Its in the 'normal' range (under 42). I would not class it as that if it was over 41 though.

As far as im aware Professor Roy Taylor, Dr David unwin and virta health define reversed/remission as sub 48.

I'm just wondering what others class themselves as.

Reactions: Juso

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Controlled. Never reversed! I got back to under 42 last year, thought I was cured, went back to a high carb diet and the next test I was back to square 1.

Reactions: Prem51 and Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
C) Well controlled (not an option here, so in remission is my second choice) on Metformin and low carb, like @xfieldok , looking to reduce the Metformin at next review after next weeks blood test.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I call myself well controlled. My A1c has been in the normal range for 6 years (currently 34/5.3%) however, all I need to do to prove I'm still Type 2 is eat more than about 35g of carbs or eat starchy food like rice to discover myself hitting numbers that horrify me. If I control my carbs, I control my Type 2.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I call myself well controlled. My A1c has been in the normal range for 6 years (currently 34/5.3%) however, all I need to do to prove I'm still Type 2 is eat more than about 35g of carbs or eat starchy food like rice to discover myself hitting numbers that horrify me. If I control my carbs, I control my Type 2.
Thank you for confirming. Really helps me @Indy51

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Controlled. Never reversed! I got back to under 42 last year, thought I was cured, went back to a high carb diet and the next test I was back to square 1.
Carbs are the devil's work!!!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
C) Well controlled (not an option here, so in remission is my second choice) on Metformin and low carb, like @xfieldok , looking to reduce the Metformin at next review after next weeks blood test.
Good luck with that next week. Hope you get a great result that reflects all your hard work.

D

Deleted member 308541

Excellent reading. Has it been that level for a long time?
It has been around the 34 - 35 mark for the last four hba1c tests, that is down from 58.4 / 7.5 in December 2016. The previous one was 47.5 / 6.5% in June 2016.

Bananas were on special at 0.50 per kilo in the later months of 2016, and I got stuck into them and that bumped me up into Metformin territory. They have been off the menu since.

Reactions: Tminus2
M

Moggely

My latest HbA1c was 5.8 what does that make me?. Five months ago it was 11.4 that's when I was diagnosed. Next HbA1c is next month.

Reactions: Tminus2

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I've never been comfortable with the term 'reversed'. Of course I'm powerless to stop anybody else using the term. I can grudgingly accept 'in remission'. The reason being is that the condition still exists. Only the symptoms have been brought to heel. Start tucking into the doughnuts, spuds and ice cream and all those symptoms will simply come marching straight back over the hill with vengeance.

I firmly believe that 'controlled' is a far more accurate descriptor. The other terms can lead newly diagnosed persons to wrongly assume that they can be cured even though the cured word is not explicitly mentioned. The term 'reversed' has this connotation to the inexperienced.

I acknowledge that some eminent medical experts use these terms but unfortunately, experts as they are in their given profession, they have no more authority on the etymology of the English language than you or I.

Reactions: Debandez

Vidgren

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well there isnt a cure for the diabetes so although im symtom free as long as i eat lchf the word reversed feels wrong.

My diabetes is controlled and im without symptoms. Hba1c below 35. But as soon as i eat sugar im back to being sick again.

Reactions: Prem51

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Debandez

Definitely ‘controlled’ for me. HbA1c down to 31 from 108 but even the slightest whiff of anything other than very low carb sends my BG soaring so I wouldn’t even use the term remission (which I agree does imply a temporary rather than permanent status) as clearly the underlying problem is still very much there. Requires constant vigilance, especially if I want to remain medication free - and I do!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have Type 2 Diabetes. Simple as.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbs are the devil's work!!!

Yes they are! Back to pre diabetic levels and will know tonight if I have either gone up or back down to non diabetic levels

Status
Not open for further replies.