Do you ever feel lonely with diabeites?

Diabetictype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I some times feel lonely especially at my school i'm the only one with T!D in my school yr and my family

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Hey there,

Yes on all counts. I was the only kid in Infants, Junior and secondary school with T1 - although a Tutorial class friend's sister was also T1 (but 2 years older and at another school). I'm the only one in my family too (although possibly not the first).

The thing is this, diabetes is a very individual - and occasionally lonely - journey: yes there are around 350,000 other T1's in the UK, but how many do you know? It's not as if you, me or any of the other forum users walk around with a big blue flashing light above our heads saying "T1D - watch out, grumpy hypo/hyper lunatic about!"

I've been T1 for 37 years, and before moving to Buckinghamshire and linking up with my local Diabetes UK group, I'd met perhaps four other T1's in my life before then. Now I'm friends with two, and can count another dozen in my circle of associates!

If you need to talk, to shout, etc., then come online - this is a fab space to do it! Also, put a post in the Teenage section looking for other T1's in your area, because you never know (no blue lights) there may just be someone in your neighbourhood/town with whom you can meet up, etc. Although, you can just as easily - if not more easily - have a good talk with someone online as though they are in the same room as you! (Just remember to stay safe online and not reveal too much personal data - especially contact info, etc.)

It's worth looking for a local Diabetes UK group: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_help/Local_support_groups/ as they can be a source of activity and support, although some (like my area) can be a bit like a morgue. :meh:

It's really hard at times, I do know, but life is worth the struggle - Stephen Sutton reminded me of that.

Good luck with it all - and keep coming back with questions, rants, etc. etc. We're all in the same boat, even if we're all pulling slightly different strokes!

Best wishes - and keep at it :)

Reactions: 3 people