Do you ever have times when....

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
your BG levels are just so rubbish and you strive to do everything in your path to make them better but can't and you just feel like eating everything that is bad because it's pointless anyway?

I got confused with my diabetic appointment and mixed it up with my physio for frozen shoulder and so I am really miffed at myself for this. However in general I've never had anyone in the clinic actually sit down and ask me how I cope and it's days like this where I just feel after exercising, cutting caffeine, chocolate, cholestrol, eating more veg and juggling the stress of my job whilst trying to get my BG's anywhere near normal that I just think "Ah forget it why bother?" and just eat tonnes of yummy bacon and egg sarnies, chocolate muffins for breakfast - because frankly I'm really worn out and tired of doing everything and getting no results. Is this just me or does some others go through this period of frustration too?

A very fed up, worn out diabetic :(

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
oh Rach, many of us go through periods of our life where we feel like this, you know i'm not the diabetic one but Andrew is. So when he's feeling down and doesn't want to cope anymore i give him a great big ((((((((hug )))))))))) and XXXXX 's.I know its not the same via a computer, but my thoughts are with you. Your a beautiful person, please take care of yourself, if bs aren't what they should be and you've tried everything, then perhaps its time for a change in regime and insulins.
Suzi xxx

Thirsty

Rach79, I think most of us go through times when we feel the same way, (Christmas doesn't help.) I don't know what's available in your area but, my local clinic runs a support group for diabetics which some find helpful. Perhaps you could ask your DSN if there's anything like that around?

In the meantime, I sympathise and hope you manage to achieve good control and feel more cheerful in the very near future.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Rach, We all have days when things just don't seem to be working. For me it's my weight which emains stubbornly stuck, whatever I do. also not helped by my mother, who thinks I've lost enough ( I'm 14 stone!)and that my low carb diet is stupid( because her diabetic neighbour regularly eats sandwiches for lunch). I can't just avoid her, because she's 90 and I have to call her evey day to check she's ok. All I can do is "make like a rhino" Put horn down and blunder shortsightedly forward on the path. Eventually the mood passes and the clouds lift a little.

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
We all have days like this rach. Pretty often for me lately. When life gets you down and you sit and wonder 'why do I bother carrying on'. Then you have to figuratively turn around and give yourself a kick up the bum!! :twisted: :lol:

stewpid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rachel

I thought I was the only member of the "ticked off diabetic" club, but I guess I'm not.

You have to recognise it's not easy living with what is, after all, a chronic illness. Out of 365 days a year there are bound to be some days when it doesn't feel worth it, but the good days have to outweigh the bad surely.

My latest HbA1c was 8.3, despite my best efforts to get it as low as possible and that felt like a real kick in the teeth. But then no matter how hard it is to get good BG control sometimes, I always think it is better than the alternatives.

When I feel like giving it all up I just cut myself some slack and go and enjoy (some of) the "bad stuff", although I can't say I have ever had chocolate muffins for breakfast, but bacon butties - absolutely!!!

Just remember you're not alone feeling frustrated - we all get like that sometimes. The good thing is we come out the other end.

Hope you're feeling better soon

Stewart

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
Hey guys thanks. I might ask if there is a support group actually, although this site helps a lot it is sometimes difficult.

However on another note I went round my mates to cheer myself up as she was on holiday today also and she has a Wii fit. The computer told me I was overweight (not really cheering me up as such but maybe the kick up the butt I need to get me motivated) also I realised I was extremely unfit. Therefore I'm round hers again this week to try and get fit and that plus the fact I'm clinically overweight means it could be what's making my BG's go crazier than usual right now. I'm thinking of purchasing a Wii Fit or finding some sort of cheaper option such as an indoor sport such as badminton or something so that I can get fit and thinner. I really really didn't think I was clinically overweight as at first glance I don't look big but I do have a few bits I need to trim shall I say - belly and butt for one but anyway I just want to thank you all. I don't usually have muffins either for brekkie btw but I did opt for the bacon fry up after my post because I actually just thought 'to heck with it' but a computer has kindly pointed out I'm out of shape and out of practise when it comes to exercise so I'll start from there. Dieting alone doesn't help - which is obvious I know but I just didn't believe I was overweight and it has shocked me to bits but in a weird way it has cheered me up going round to my mates even if I was told I was fat and unfit :lol: Also it has cheered me up to just have a few people on this forum listen, understand and advise me :)

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
I know that feeling Rach, when I first went on this forum I'd already lost a stone on and off (at my heaviest I was 13 stone) but I needed a good boot up the backside to lose the rest! Suffice it to say, I have now lost the rest and I look and feel so much better. I've been through quite a hard time since I came on here, my dad died suddenly in September and my auntie had a stroke and found out she has cancer while she was recovering in hospital. Now I know I don't actually have diabetes but I have no doubt I would have been diagnosed if I hadn't lost that last stone and a half. This has been such a relief because my gran and my mum went blind because of their diabetes and that's the last thing I need as a single mum of an autistic teenager!

All I can say is, never apologise for how you are feeling. As has been said so many times before, most posters here are living with a chronic condition so it's no wonder everyone gets down from time to time. Keep your chin up and above all, enjoy the festive season.

Happy New Year and best wishes,

Bubsy

chocoholic

Hi Rach. You are not alone. I have completely fallen off the wagon over Christmas. I have always been a comfort eater and these past few days have seen me acting like a gluttonous being with no common sense. My hubby was given a letter shortly before Christmas telling him his job is going and we have had a very difficult Christmas with my disabled brother.He has cerebral palsy and epilepsy and over Christmas his legs have just been giving out on him for no reason.One fall has left him with severe bruising and pain in his shoulder(x-ray thankfully showed nothing broken) and also he is extremely drowsy all the time. My mother has been in tears as the family struggled to cope with all his falls and it took about 4 of us to get him in and out of the car each time and even then it proved a hugely difficult job. It breaks my heart to see my brother like this and also to see my mother sobbing her heart out over him. On top of all this I have a disabled neighbour who lives down my road who also keeps phoning me every couple of days with requests for help.
I'm bloomin' frozen (we had a power cut that lasted for simply hours yesterday) and I don't feel like I've properly warmed up yet.
As I said, I was always a comfort eater, so what have I done.......gone back to my old stupid ways of stuffing my face with everything I know I shouldn't have. I have upped the insulin but am obviously not judging that right either as readings are still too high. The only good thing I can say is that this WILL be temporary. When things I'm stressing about settle down, I'll be back to being a good girl but it's tough at the moment and I guess I'm doing the equivalent of what a smoker or drinker does....
You and I are only human Rach. So, we've fallen off the wagon. As long as we remember to get back on it, that's the main thing.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Choco,
I'm sorry to hear you've had such a rough time over Christmas. Hope things get better for you and your family next year. (Nice to see you back with us again by the way.)

chocoholic

Thank you, Dennis. I've missed the chat and friendship, so decided to dip my toe in again, now that calm waters seem to reign again. Apologies to those of you who don't like a "rabbiter". I may well be a frequent rabbiter again. :wink:

Rach79

Dislikes
Hi - thanks again. I didn't actually realise you could get exercise on prescription. I think there is nothing in the way of indoor sports centres for adults on the Isle of Man where you can meet other sports enthusiasts or cycle lanes or things like that so the gym is the only option and sometimes to be honest it bores me to death. The swimming pool tends to close at 7pm although I could go straight after work but I find the pool too cold and too crowded as it's only small and the spa tends to be dirty sometimes so there is nothing to motivate me. That's why I think Wii Fit would be a good idea. Anyway I guess it's just a case of doing something about it as admittedly I'm a bit of a couch potato and could work round all the above.

Right now I now have a massive headache and as usual am lethargic as ever and frustrated the wonderful night insulin Levimir which stops night time hypos doesn't actually work at all as I had two in the middle of the night but I have hope and have to find strength because all you people have and this has kind of given me the kick up the backside I so desperately need :)

Bubsy Malone said:
I know that feeling Rach, when I first went on this forum I'd already lost a stone on and off (at my heaviest I was 13 stone) but I needed a good boot up the backside to lose the rest! Suffice it to say, I have now lost the rest and I look and feel so much better. I've been through quite a hard time since I came on here, my dad died suddenly in September and my auntie had a stroke and found out she has cancer while she was recovering in hospital. Now I know I don't actually have diabetes but I have no doubt I would have been diagnosed if I hadn't lost that last stone and a half. This has been such a relief because my gran and my mum went blind because of their diabetes and that's the last thing I need as a single mum of an autistic teenager!

All I can say is, never apologise for how you are feeling. As has been said so many times before, most posters here are living with a chronic condition so it's no wonder everyone gets down from time to time. Keep your chin up and above all, enjoy the festive season.

Happy New Year and best wishes,

Bubsy

Bubsy thanks a million - you are a star and hang in there. I know what it is like for a family member to have cancer and I'm sorry about the loss of your dad. Your auntie may have a very good recovery. It's very highly possible if the disease has been caught early. I know I don't seem positive myself but if she tries to. Also if she rests when needed but gets out and does old hobbies to remain in a positive state of mind I'm sure this will really help her. My auntie had breast cancer (as did my nana have skin cancer and my uncle bowel cancer) but she tackled it head on and fought it and after chemo and us worried because it went into her lymph glands - she is now fighting fit and on the mend so it is possible and I hope this gives you some words of encouragement.

All the best for the new year xx

chocoholic said:
Hi Rach. You are not alone. I have completely fallen off the wagon over Christmas. I have always been a comfort eater and these past few days have seen me acting like a gluttonous being with no common sense. My hubby was given a letter shortly before Christmas telling him his job is going and we have had a very difficult Christmas with my disabled brother.He has cerebral palsy and epilepsy and over Christmas his legs have just been giving out on him for no reason.One fall has left him with severe bruising and pain in his shoulder(x-ray thankfully showed nothing broken) and also he is extremely drowsy all the time. My mother has been in tears as the family struggled to cope with all his falls and it took about 4 of us to get him in and out of the car each time and even then it proved a hugely difficult job. It breaks my heart to see my brother like this and also to see my mother sobbing her heart out over him. On top of all this I have a disabled neighbour who lives down my road who also keeps phoning me every couple of days with requests for help.
I'm bloomin' frozen (we had a power cut that lasted for simply hours yesterday) and I don't feel like I've properly warmed up yet.
As I said, I was always a comfort eater, so what have I done.......gone back to my old stupid ways of stuffing my face with everything I know I shouldn't have. I have upped the insulin but am obviously not judging that right either as readings are still too high. The only good thing I can say is that this WILL be temporary. When things I'm stressing about settle down, I'll be back to being a good girl but it's tough at the moment and I guess I'm doing the equivalent of what a smoker or drinker does....
You and I are only human Rach. So, we've fallen off the wagon. As long as we remember to get back on it, that's the main thing.

Choco! Thanks for your advice but I'm sorry to hear of all this over Christmas :| I know you may not take this advice but make sure you find some "you time" if you catch my drift. Make sure you do something special maybe just a long walk by a beach or a nice meal with your girlfriends or someone and don't feel guilty about it ok. As for the comfort eating - I used to tend to be the drinker type actually but not alcoholic LOL - more binge drinker :oops: Of course I still love to go out and have a great time and get tipsy but at least now I've learnt to do it for the right reasons. I have a couple of friends who are the same way and it is the vicious cycle of feeling down and then eating to bring yourself back up again only to find that the guilt of eating too much starts over again and then you're back to square 1! :| I can only advise as a temporary measure - refusing to buy yourself biscuits or any "treats" as you could over indulge and if they aren't there... well you can't get at them can you? :wink: Also next time you feel a bit down - go for a brisk walk (says me who struggles to get off the sofa LOL) and clear your head and don't be too afraid to say no to your neighbour occassionally if you are worn out. As for your hubby losing his job... I'll tell you and him to hang in there because something else will turn up.. it always does so get him to get his CV out to as many companies as poss and let him know it isn't him it's just the whole credit crunch situation. Hope this helps in some way.

Now you all know my new years resolution I'll wish you a very happy new year and hope things pick up for all of us.

Rach :)

chocoholic

Firstly, thanks thirsty for your warm welcome back.
Rach, you are spot on about not having treats around to tempt me in the first place. Normally,I do just that but having guests to stay over Christmas has left me with 'naughties' left over. I keep saying to hubby he has to eat everything left but I'm giving in myself, at present. It WILL be easier once it's all gone from my sight.
You are also spot on about walking lifting the spirit. I do belong to an NHS walking group.There have been no walks over Christmas but I shall be up and raring to go when they stat again in the New Year.
The thing I find difficult to say no to is the disabled lady down the road. I just think any one of us could be in her situation one day, so find it so hard to refuse to help. Having said that I sometimes feel I'm being pulled in so many different directions but I know there is always somebody worse off though, so I can't complain too much.
Happy New Year to everyone.It's good to be back.

Rach79

Dislikes
chocoholic said:
Firstly, thanks thirsty for your warm welcome back.
Rach, you are spot on about not having treats around to tempt me in the first place. Normally,I do just that but having guests to stay over Christmas has left me with 'naughties' left over. I keep saying to hubby he has to eat everything left but I'm giving in myself, at present. It WILL be easier once it's all gone from my sight.
You are also spot on about walking lifting the spirit. I do belong to an NHS walking group.There have been no walks over Christmas but I shall be up and raring to go when they stat again in the New Year.
The thing I find difficult to say no to is the disabled lady down the road. I just think any one of us could be in her situation one day, so find it so hard to refuse to help. Having said that I sometimes feel I'm being pulled in so many different directions but I know there is always somebody worse off though, so I can't complain too much.
Happy New Year to everyone.It's good to be back.

I know what you mean about saying no to the disabled neighbour. I also hope your bros condition remains stable. I don't know much about cerebal palsy but I was next to a patient in a ward when I was first getting treatment for my diabetes so witnessed some of it and it appears difficult to control.

As for the walking, I would love to do a walking group type thing but I work from 9-5:30 (used to be later but I complained to my job) and the walking club is Wednesday's at 10am or other weekdays at about 12:30pm for an hour but in far away places about half an hours drive from where I work so I can't take my insulin, eat and rush through mad lunch hour traffic and get changed to do an hours walk in that time so it all seems daft. Anyway I'm leaving the Island soon so hopefully they'll have more sensible times where I'm moving to and also the clinics might actually want to help me but I guess it's just hit or miss.

Anyhow I'm going for a sleep now as didn't sleep last night but see you all soon :)

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What a great late Christmas present - chocoholic's back! :D
2009 looks brighter already.

Peace 'n love everyone

fergus

C

catherinecherub

Hi Rach79.
If I cannot find a deserving home for all the Christmas treats that are left over I bin them. People may say what a waste but I know that once it is gone I am not going to be tempted and most of it is bad news for everyone so why would I want to keep it?
Regards, Catherine.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
Hiya Rach,

Sorry you've been down a bit lately, I think most people do have periods of good control and feeling strong which may or may not be followed by a bad case of the why-me's and can't-be-bothereds ... I know I do lovey ... keep your chin up and try to do your best for more time than you're NOT doing your best! Everyone has already given you excellent words so I'll just add some best wishes and an e-hug xxx

Chocoholic!! So glad to see you back hun, hope your toe dipping is a happy experience ...

xxx