Do you get forgetful

sophsmam

iv'e noticed lately our daughter keeps forgetting things,like today she went swimming and forgot all her diabetic items which i found on the table with an apple.so her poor dad had to go and get her a snack incase she had a hypo .And last night i told her to check her b/s at tea she forgot that.i know kids can forget things but its not like her .
can diabetes cause forgetfulness

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter is very forgetful, but as she's had diabetes since she turned 4 it's difficult to tell whether it's the diabetes or just how she is.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I know diabetes has made me forgetful - and I'm the Mother of the diabetic. I'm sure it is the lack of sleep and constant numbers wandering in my mind. I've only walked out of the house twice to find I haven't put his meter back in my bag so now I have 2 meters and 1 stays in my bag. I haven't met any other kids that are more forgetful than the average.

Jen

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
People forget things.

Honestly, this just sounds absolutely normal.
You are constantly aware of the things to do with the diabetes, so you notice when she forgets.
If you'd kept a note of everytthing she'd forgotten ever, two things in two days seems perfectly normal.

Today i've forgotten where I put the keys, what a certain actors name was (Jason Statham).
I think it's just because it is a big deal when he forgets, and you are taking much more notice of it than you do anything else.

Two things in two days really isn't abnormal in the least. You know kids heads are filled with so many things.

kewgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sophsmam

Is your daughter going through puberty – short-term memory difficulties and forgetting things are common during pubertal changes.

Is your daughter on the GM Synthetic Analogue Lantus? Well-documented side effect of Lantus is memory difficulties, which vary from individual to individual but can include forgetfulness; inability to retrieve information from the brain and forgetting how to spell words.

Being busy & preoccupied with other activities, being hypoglycaemic & being premenstrual can also all play a part in being forgetful.

Has your daughter noticed herself she is forgetting things and is it bothering her?

You’ve obviously noticed the forgetfulness. I guess its trying to just ride it out and see how things progress.

Sorry there’s no steadfast answer.

Best wishes

Txx

sophsmam

hi kewgirl,
after i wrote it i then thought she's going though puberty and that could be the cause.
she is on levemir and we've just recently changed from lantus.
she can forget things in a split second of being told,it may bother her she did ask why she was.
i never put this in my first post i just wondered was the insulin the cause was it a side effect.

Shazza

My Son is going through puberty but I think his forgetfullness is a typical boy ... driving me nuts lol takes 5 mins to get out the door with me reminding him everything :lol:

stewcose

Hi I was complaining to my doc of my memory problems, this led to a positive blood test for diabetes. So their must be a link. But I seem to have gone undiagnosed for a long time and have been put on 2000mg of metformin. Thus some damage done. Due eye test soon, bit of apprehension on this.

Stewart

Fujifilm

I was going to comment on this but forgot what I was going to write. :lol: :lol:

Not sure if its my diabetes making me forgetful or age. They are both out to get me. :mrgreen:

ange-eren

Hi, i am a type 1 diabetic and ave been for 34 years, my diabetes control has always been good( so i thought) apart from when i was pregnant with my son( who is now 7 & was born 9 weeks prem due to a hypo i had) my control is all over the place at the moment ever since i was admitted to hospital with DKA in Oct 08. I am always avin hypo's then hypers & my consultant wants me to go on pump but still waiting for my follow up appointment after having a short synthacin test( to test thyroid) & also a 72 hour glucose monitor which gave me a kinda insight into what having a pump would be like. But over the last few months i have definetly suffered with memory loss as i can remember what i did years ago but ask me to say what i did a few days ago......forget it!! I have read in Balance(diabetes uk publication) how they are trying to link memory loss with type 2 diabetics but i definetly think that if you have regular hypo's etc it affects your memory without a shadow of a doubt. Does anyone else think the same?? I darent mention it to my Dr(gp) as he might think ive lost the plot, but it is really worrying me, as i am having trouble doing everyday things without writing a list to remind me constantly what i should be doing ( food shopping/ everyday tasks) then more often than not i forget the list anyway!!! Please tell me it's not just me.

bowness15

Hi Guys, im a little new too posting on the forum but have been reading for a while, so firstly HELLO :D . I must say I have got very forgetful recently and i have had T1 diabetas since i was 16 (now 20) :roll: its very annoying and i think its starting to effect my work.

I have had more Hypo's recently than normol and all my doctor shall say is reduse my background insulin down 2 units, well i know how to change the amount of insulin myself but this isnt really helping as i then get very high levels. (10-20) :!:

I use a lantus solostar disposable pen as my background pen and have 30 units in the morning.

I use my Humalog luxura fast acting pen to 'try' control the levels but trying to keep my blood in single figures has become VERY hard and am passing out now and again with no warning. I am injecting the humalog in small doses which means 4+ injections.

I test my blood in the morning and night and upto 5 times during the day.

Fujifilm

When you do 4+ injections a day you could be getting a build up of insulin, I found this when I did the same thing and would suddenly drop very quickly, now I leave 4 hour gaps between taking the insulin. But I have always had warnings before dropping.

bowness15

type of insulin taken, Books,

What i am currently doing is having my morning insulin which is the background insulin and then having the fast acting when i test my blood and find it a bit high...

Humalog = H (fast acting)

Lantus Solo star = L (back ground insulin)

Does anyone else take or has had these insulins in the past and knows something about them that i should as i would be much apreciative? :)

Can anyone else recommend any good books they have read about diabetas?

Many thanks,

Justin

WAKE UP Test Blood, inject, get dressed, have either toast or muisli 6.30am

L = 30 units
H = 5 units

BREAK Test Blood, Inject, maybe have snack 10.30 - 11am

H = 3 - 6 units depending on what im eating or current level.

LUNCH Test Blood, inject, eat sandwich, bit of fruit, nuts. 1.30pm

H = 4 - 8 units

DINNER Test Blood, inject, eat dinner. 6 - 7.30pm

H = 4 - 10 units

BED Test Blood

H = 0 - 5 units

deeby

Hi Justin

One book I found really useful was "Think like a Pancreas" (lol) by Gary Scheiner. The title made me laugh, the first couple of chapters are chatty and enjoyable but after that it gets down to some really detailed and helpful stuff. It's easily available from Amazon.

Dawn

mikeyuk

I read in Dr. Bernsteins book that diabetes can affect your memory, he recalls anectdotes of talking on the phone with patients and his wife (also a GP) asking if they were alzheimers patients.

I know I definitely notice a difference in my mood and memory since getting my levels in check.