Do you keep pens in pocket during the day?

dnl.phillips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all i sometimes keep my fast acting insulin I my pocket during the day. Any risk here that the heat from my leg it affects the effectiveness or lifespan of the pen? I dont notice that it does anything adverse but I'm relatively new to t1. Do you do this too? Any pointers would be helpful.

Daniel

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I wouldn't keep the pen in a pocket close to the body if there's a chance it can become too warm, you buy cooling wallets like Frio that help keep insulin cool and protected from warm temperatures.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends on tightness of trousers - if they're cargo trousers, with fairly bulky pockets, and you're not out in dark trousers in bright sunshine for hours, then should be OK. I never found any temperature problems to carry my metal insulin pen in cargo paockets of army lightweight style olive green trousers when working as a country park ranger. Howover, I did once break an earlier plastic pen in the same conditions. So, a rigid case may be required. Depending on your work situation, it can be important to have pen and meter with you at all times, especially if you work on a large site and / or several sites. If driving, you need meter with you, and leaving a pen in a vehicle in sunny weather can mean it would get hotter than next to your leg.

You need to work out big picture of your situation - sorry I can't be more specific.

Reactions: 4 people

oldoaktree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't worry too much myself. I've just spent a month in North Africa with no cooling for my insulin. I tired to bury it as deep in my pack as possible but it did get very warm most days.

Can't tell you if it changed it's effectivenest as things were all a bit different out there, but I had plenty of spare which had done the whole trip with me and they all worked predictably when I got back home.

That was Lantus and Humalog, but I did spend 3 months away from home 20 years ago some of it very hot,, again with no cooling for my pork insulatard and that didn't seem to havea any problems either

Reactions: 4 people

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't worry too much myself. I've just spent a month in North Africa with no cooling for my insulin. I tired to bury it as deep in my pack as possible but it did get very warm most days.

Can't tell you if it changed it's effectivenest as things were all a bit different out there, but I had plenty of spare which had done the whole trip with me and they all worked predictably when I got back home.

That was Lantus and Humalog, but I did spend 3 months away from home 20 years ago some of it very hot,, again with no cooling for my pork insulatard and that didn't seem to havea any problems either
Completely agree OldOakTree !
There is too much hysteria about how to store/carry your insulin around, and some of it probably 'encouraged' by the supplier industry for us to throw out / consume more pens. (same as well about using a new needle for every injection and an alcohol swab. Seems the whole point about using a pen then went all lost :)) Actually, reading the small prints on most insulin pens and their clinical trial approvals to be launched to market, you most often see that they have to be able to remain effective after having been stored in temps up to and beyond 30 degrees C for minimum up to 30 days.

A pen typically last up to max 10-12 days for me, with its volume vs my daily need. I always carry them in my pocket in my pants. Only had a couple of cases when been in the tropics and 40-48 degrees, where the insulin's effect appeared to have bailed out after 6-8 days. Never had a pen breaking in my pants either. Done rollerblading, off-piste skiing, extreme surfing, pyramid crawling, off-shore boating, jungle safaris, etc. with pen in my pocket. And as you OldOakTree, often stocked up for 2-3 months away at a time. Only put them in the fridge if finding the occasion to do so in 'safe base'. Please also note that I typically do not put on the needle until time of first usage, so keep the pens 'virgin' is best to avoid seepage or potential pollution. And with the modern needles (staying sharp) I often even just stay with that single one throughout till the pen is empty 8-12 days later.

Steady0480

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldnt reuse any of my needles. Type used diabetic needles into Google and press images to have a look at the affect on them.

Steady0480

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1439547056.354567.jpg

oldoaktree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never bother changing the needle till it starts to feel uncomfortable. This is usually after i've finished the bottle, thats probably 25-30 injections. Never had any infection problems but will always throw away a needle that may have touched anything unpleasant. I think the above pictures aren't right, perhaps a needle manufacturers marketing ploy.

Reactions: 2 people

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all i sometimes keep my fast acting insulin I my pocket during the day. Any risk here that the heat from my leg it affects the effectiveness or lifespan of the pen? I dont notice that it does anything adverse but I'm relatively new to t1. Do you do this too? Any pointers would be helpful.

Daniel
yes I do carry novorapid in my pocket I usally take a pen that's nearly empty

Last edited by a moderator: