1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Do you think diabetes is worse with poverty

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by HICHAM_T2, Jan 23, 2018.

1. HICHAM_T2

HICHAM_T2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi
    Do you think diabetes is worse with poverty ?
    Treatment, observation and selection of good nutrition needs money
    Diabetes needs money and that's what I think

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. walnut_face

walnut_face Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree, spuds, rice are all cheap and the good stuff is expensive

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. HICHAM_T2

Test strips, avocados and strawberries etc... everyone need to cost to adjust diabetes

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Testing strips are the major cost for those of us self funding.
    I haven't noticed any increase in our food bills. Eggs are cheap, vegetables are cheap, there are cheap cuts of meat available everywhere, you don't have to buy fillet steak.
    You save by not buying cakes, biscuits, chocolate, sweets, fizzy drinks, crisps, pies and take aways.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

You save by getting a prescription charge exemption card for all meds if you’re on Diabetes meds in England! Every cloud! :joyful:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. paulus1

paulus1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

youve not seen price inflation. we have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Yes. Lots of studies show that poorer diabetics have worse outcomes re amputation and higher mortality level for age.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. RosieLKH

RosieLKH Type 2 · Well-Known Member

But along with poverty goes a whole host of other issues, lack of education being very high up there.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  9. HICHAM_T2

Yes, poverty increases the malady of the disease, and our country has only material support for some medicines

• Like Like x 4
  10. HICHAM_T2

The problem with the vegetables is not cheap here but visiting the doctor and test strips is almost all the right things are expensive

• Like Like x 3
    • Hug Hug x 2
  11. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

But lots of studies also show that people who make less effort with life or are not educated or have other health issues are more likely to be poor. So is it being poor that results in worse outcomes with diabetes, or something else?

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I’m eating low carb and it can be expensive. I don’t eat meat, poultry or cow dairy, and alternatives can be quite pricey! Simple carbs are very cheap, and often easier to cook. I use Lidl hi protein rolls as my bread alternative, and at 29p each, it soon adds up.

• Like Like x 3
  13. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

But that is a choice, so if you could not afford other options, there is nothing stopping you eating meat. (But frozen veg, olive oil and butter is cheap.)

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. walnut_face

walnut_face Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Simple carbs are cheap because our taxes subsidies them, Common Agricultual Policy in the EU and same in USA. Wheat production receives state aid, if only they would divert that to brocolli..........................

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

It may be that poverty is linked to a lower education. It is not true that it is linked to less intelligence. Many people cannot have careers or further education for many complex reasons. I get cross with the idea that poor people are stupid and cant make sensible decisions about food.

Not that anyone on here is saying that, but it a media narrative I hear often.

Many of the poor are disabled, or carers, or have mental health issues or had to leave school at 16 to earn a living, or continue as carers. We have many children who care for a disabled relative in the uk. Its not a question of them being too stupid or lazy to educate further or have a career with good earnings, its that, from a practical viewpoint, for many reasons, that avenue is not open to them.

In my local food banks the food given out is nearly all carbs and sugar-rich sauces of one sort or another.

(falls off soapbox)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. LooperCat

It’s not a choice for me, sadly. I’m allergic to them and get breathing difficulties if I eat those things. I have to check ingredients like a hawk! And dairy is in so, so many foods.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

That must be extremely difficult for you.:arghh:
    However, you can't really blame your more expensive foods entirely on low carb. Without your allergies it may be a different matter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. eggs11

eggs11 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My weekly groceries bill has gone up significantly since going low carb and eating more fresh veg - having said that I'm popping to the corner shop way less now as used to do top-up shops for pre-made pasta salads for lunch and snacks several times a week, and those trips were adding a lot of 'hidden' costs to my food bill.

• Like Like x 4
  19. LooperCat

It’s a pretty unholy combination! I can manage pretty well at home, but when I’m away it can become a real problem finding something to eat.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

It is not comparable, though. Being poor in Europe and being poor in Africa are two different animals.
    I am poor in terms of European standards but by Developing Nations standards, what with access to health care, food, education etc I would be considered well off.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook