DO you too feel like ****?

leelun

Is it just me, or does anybody else out there feel worse now they are taking medication for diabetes, than when they were not?
I feel totally drained, no energy, could sleep the clock round, and have know interest in doing anything.
Before I was on medication, I'm on 2000mg metformin MR and 0.6mg victoza (soon to be 1.2mg) and 40mg simvastatin, I had loads of energy, wouldn't sit still, always on the go. Now I just feel ****!!
I'd like to know how others are feeling. Are you like me feeling worse now than when you started taking medication?

Dobbs

hi leelun,
are you type 2 like me?
yes, with the major exception of neuropathy in my feet and a little bit elsewhere, I felt perfectly "normal" before my diagnosis, 18 months ago. Once I was diagnosed and started on 2x Metformin per day, I initially began to feel worse - still had neuropathy, which was joined by slight dizziness, pains and aches in various places, moments of depression etc.
It's a bit hard to say how much of this was psychosomatic, knowing I had a serious condition. I do tend to be susceptible to things psychosomatic. :p
However, I also think the reason I continued to feel bad (and possibly worse) was that the Metformin only goes a certain way in reducing your blood sugar. What I believe made the BIG difference for me was beginning a fairly strict low-carb diet last May. Fairly soon my blood sugar levels came down and one after another of the pains and aches disappeared.
My doctor never said a word to me about diet, but I'm convinced that made the big change. Now I feel SO much better generally than I did a year ago.
Have you modified your diet since being diagnosed as diabetic? I'm convinced it is THE most important change we diabetics can make.

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
leelun said:
Is it just me, or does anybody else out there feel worse now they are taking medication for diabetes, than when they were not?
I feel totally drained, no energy, could sleep the clock round, and have know interest in doing anything.
Before I was on medication, I'm on 2000mg metformin MR and 0.6mg victoza (soon to be 1.2mg) and 40mg simvastatin, I had loads of energy, wouldn't sit still, always on the go. Now I just feel ****!!
I'd like to know how others are feeling. Are you like me feeling worse now than when you started taking medication?

Yes I too feel **** these days since diagnosis and treatment. Initially got a boost from diet and Metfomin but, as the various Stains (now stopped) and various D2 drugs (Met, Gluc & Actos) were used I got more and more ****** off. I'm only 55 going on 56 so, should not feel like this. I'm knackered and down half the time, though I have good days too. Now that said, I don't know how much of this is modern life and the modern work-place and how much is my D2 condition :? I've performed no great science on this, its just a feeling. I'm sure stress, has a major input into the D2 condition from patterns I can see on my self test. :(

peter lee

yes, me too im 56 been physicaly active all my life im a builder by trade ,but some days i feel i could sleep all day i get up each day at 5.30 but go to bed 8/9ish but im allways feeling exuasted ,im convinced my medication is killing me quicker than the disease ,i take 36cc lantus morning & night plus apidra fast acting with my meals ,metformin 500mg(4) aday plus lipitor 80mg in a morning i take 2 blood pressure tablets 1 x lecananidipine 1 x perindopril when i walk i rattle :D im type 2 ,& my blood levels are usually allways under 10 maybe thats why im tired :!:

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
peter lee said:
yes, me too im 56 been physicaly active all my life im a builder by trade ,but some days i feel i could sleep all day i get up each day at 5.30 but go to bed 8/9ish but im allways feeling exuasted ,im convinced my medication is killing me quicker than the disease ,i take 36cc lantus morning & night plus apidra fast acting with my meals ,metformin 500mg(4) aday plus lipitor 80mg in a morning i take 2 blood pressure tablets 1 x lecananidipine 1 x perindopril when i walk i rattle :D im type 2 ,& my blood levels are usually allways under 10 maybe thats why im tired :!:

Oh man ... you have my sympathies, you must be rattling good style with all those drugs. Can't give you any help, all I know is "THE DRUGS DON'T WORK" ... who wrote that song :? keep your chin up best you can m8 at least you know you have some fellow travellers on here :D

grissom49

I've got to say that I felt like c**p before my diagnosis, which made me go to the doctors in the first place. I am on metfornin and simvistatin for type 2 diabetes. Generally I feel well, but have the odd day when for no obvious reason I just dont feel well. I know I have eaten property and take my medication religiously. I was told my the nurse/practitoiner that this could happen.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Some diabetic drugs cause deficiencies of other things in your body. I've started taking CoQ10 (metformin can cause a drop on CoQ10 levels), and Vit D. Seems to be making a difference. I've also stopped taking statins...

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
Patch said:
Some diabetic drugs cause deficiencies of other things in your body. I've started taking CoQ10 (metformin can cause a drop on CoQ10 levels), and Vit D. Seems to be making a difference. I've also stopped taking statins...

Thanks for that, please excuse my ignorance, what is a CoQ10 level. I understand its some kind of essential nutrient? Do vits when I remember but, been on Metformin for few years now and something is making be feel knackered, tell me more about these CoQ10 levels and what best to do about it?

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Yes I feel like **** and its getting worse....due to my depression as well as other factors. I am having major ear problems and reading through the posts on here I have to agree I have lost control again of my bg. Every step I take with the my left foot I have pain in my ankle. It is like a band of pain on the outside..........I have stopped caring about me although to my family I tell them I am in control, that I am happy etc dont think I can get much lower.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've read that certain statins, as well as metformin can cause low levels of CoQ10 (Co-enzyme Q10), as well as low levels of Vit D, and Vit B12.

I'm supplimenting with all 3 now (among other things) and can say that a good Vit D has made me feel great. I believe the liquid/gel cap version of Vit D is best, and take up to 10,000IU daily. I'd recently switched to 50,000IU daily in a powder capsule version, which was much more expensive, and I believe less potent than 10,000IU of the liquid/gel cap version. I take 2x100mg CoQ10 daily, and a couple of 100mcg Vit B12 lozenges (these taste a little like parma violets - so i use them as a little lo-carb sweet, too... :wink: ) .

Vitamin D, though, was a revelation for me. After about 2 weeks of use, I began to feel much better, and would recommend it to anyone that is feeling down with their Diabetes.

P.S - Vit D deficiency is VERY common amongst diabetics. Google it.

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ditch the Simvastatin, when i was on it i felt terrible, very tired just as you describe. Woth a try

Brian

peter lee

cavelioness said:
Yes I feel like **** and its getting worse....due to my depression as well as other factors. I am having major ear problems and reading through the posts on here I have to agree I have lost control again of my bg. Every step I take with the my left foot I have pain in my ankle. It is like a band of pain on the outside..........I have stopped caring about me although to my family I tell them I am in control, that I am happy etc dont think I can get much lower.
im sorry to hear you feel so bad,i think we all get depressed at times ,i certainly do , try to think of the good things in life & the people around you ,you have to take care of yourself ,only you can do that ,i hope things pick up for you , the summers coming everybody feel better with a bit of sunshine ,cheers pete

peter lee

Patch said:
I've read that certain statins, as well as metformin can cause low levels of CoQ10 (Co-enzyme Q10), as well as low levels of Vit D, and Vit B12.

I'm supplimenting with all 3 now (among other things) and can say that a good Vit D has made me feel great. I believe the liquid/gel cap version of Vit D is best, and take up to 10,000IU daily. I'd recently switched to 50,000IU daily in a powder capsule version, which was much more expensive, and I believe less potent than 10,000IU of the liquid/gel cap version. I take 2x100mg CoQ10 daily, and a couple of 100mcg Vit B12 lozenges (these taste a little like parma violets - so i use them as a little lo-carb sweet, too... :wink: ) .

Vitamin D, though, was a revelation for me. After about 2 weeks of use, I began to feel much better, and would recommend it to anyone that is feeling down with their Diabetes.

P.S - Vit D deficiency is VERY common amongst diabetics. Google it.
hi patch, i googled the company you said you got your vitamins off, it says theres an official search into it as as they say they are scamming customers :?: check it out ,cheers pete

w=hazel20

my nurse
wanted me to go on simvastin
had a check with doc
no way would she put me on sim
to much muscle pain and cramps
dump it

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
peter lee said:
cavelioness said:
im sorry to hear you feel so bad,i think we all get depressed at times ,i certainly do , try to think of the good things in life & the people around you ,you have to take care of yourself ,only you can do that ,i hope things pick up for you , the summers coming everybody feel better with a bit of sunshine ,cheers pete

Thanks Pete for your kind words....yes the summer is coming so will try and get my fill of vit D. I do have a wonderful family and have started steps to take back control as the hearing loss and pain I am experiencing is just taking its toll. The depression I do have medication for and normally it helps keep me on an even keel its just other circumstances reared its ugly head and gave me a major set back....promises to myself to make a stand and stick to it.

peter lee

cavelioness said:
peter lee said:
cavelioness said:

Thanks Pete for your kind words....yes the summer is coming so will try and get my fill of vit D. I do have a wonderful family and have started steps to take back control as the hearing loss and pain I am experiencing is just taking its toll. The depression I do have medication for and normally it helps keep me on an even keel its just other circumstances reared its ugly head and gave me a major set back....promises to myself to make a stand and stick to it.
great im glad to hear that ,medication sometimes helps or hinders,ive been bad lately with my blood sugars up ,feeling tired all the time ,i didnt look after myself .now i only have a drink of gin at night instead of red wine ,my sugars never go up if i drink gin ,im no saint ,i also enjoy the good things in life too, ive cut down on food sorted my idea of medication & my levels this week are the best i have had ( ive cut down all my medication by myself ,right or wrong im trying things my way ) ive lost 2lbs this week, not a lot but its a start, take control & start living ,all the best ,pete

kentishman

If you are getting muscle pain it might well be the Statins. Some people can't take them I've had them for years with no side efect but a friend had to come off them because of muscle pain.

MightylittleD

Yes I was diagnoised just before Christmas, I am 33 and I am always feeling tired, can't seem to want to get out of bed.

I have 4 children and was always running round all of them but now I feel like hell when the day is over

D

Aubergenie

Dislikes
Weetabix, Twilight, Katherine Jenkins,
leelun said:

Yes, thats me! I'm only on 500mg of Metformin MR, but I have so little energy at the moment, I felt so much better before. I was on Gliclazide 40mg and was active and running around like a mad thing, but that was stopped because I put on half a stone, but I've put on more than that since the Metformin MR because I've got no energy!

Sharlieboo

I was feeling **** before diagnosis (Dec '09) but have been feeling much worse since. I don't think I've had a straight week of feeling well since the diagnosis. I'm on 4 x 500mg metforim (prolonged release) + 40mg simvastatin each day. I'm in the middle of second chest infection since the New Year and nothing is shifting it. I ache mostly when in bed. It hurts to move if I've been in one position too long. I fall asleep on the sofa most nights because as soon as I stop being on the move and can relax when the kids are in bed that's it, it's like I go into shut down mode.

Fed up really. HAven't felt right since having what feels like tons of vaccinations (ok, 3 ... sf, seasonal flu and pneumonia) and I really hate taking the pills.

What other option is there though? Apart from past week when I've been a bit naughty with my diet :oops: eaten far too many biscuits as a pick-me-up I've been quite good with my diet and wasn't actually that bad with it before the diagnosis. I miss my beloved carbs though ... and cheese.... far more so than chocolate which I found surprising.