Do you write down your blood test results?

Herbie72

I do hundreds of tests each week, but never write them down, which can't be good. But I just find it such a chore. I know it only takes 10 seconds, but I just always forget to do it. Has anyone found their control improved when they've written tests down (or vice versa)?

Revontuli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You must write. That's the best way to keep everything under control. I do the same mistake sometimes, I feel too lazy to write down. But then, days later, I can't be sure if things are going well or not. Also, your nurse/doctor must see your results to make a good judgment. Always write them down.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why not use a meter that can download info to a computer?
I use the onetouch ultrasmart which will record glucose, carbs, exercise, insulin bolus etc

Herbie72

phoenix said:
Why not use a meter that can download info to a computer?
I use the onetouch ultrasmart which will record glucose, carbs, exercise, insulin bolus etc

The Accu-Chek pump I use comes with its own meter / control unit, and unfortunately it's not Mac compatible. Otherwise I would link it up. Maybe I need to buy a cheap PC! :lol:

Fallenstar

No never...Im a nightmare for it :oops: usually, I'm always outside so it is a bit impractical.
This new testing machine I have I can download them all now ,but I did start to write them down for the DAFNE and it was good to actually see them all written down and see the patterns and trends with your control. If they go AWOL again I will certainly do this.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I downloaded a free program called On Track onto my android phone. Takes seconds to record each reading and I can produce pretty graphs for my GP very easily.

Ali

Revontuli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Is anyone using FreeStyle Freedom of Abbott? They have a PC programme too but I'm not sure if they send the connection cable for free or you have to pay for it.

AMBrennan

Maybe I need to buy a cheap PC
Modern Apple computers are PCs. Google Boot Camp for details.

Not a big fan of BG tracking apps - doing anything with my iPad is just a pain (no keyboard shortcuts, no multitasking, no keyboard) so I just write down all reading when I do my post-dinner test.

Herbie72

AMBrennan said:
Maybe I need to buy a cheap PC
Modern Apple computers are PCs. Google Boot Camp for details.

Does that mean I could plug and play the gadget that came with my Combo meter, then?! Eek, will try that tonight!!

Ali H, just read your sig - bloody well done on getting that HbA1c down :D

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

I find writing tests down a big pain in the backside too, it's a must though. The only way i know what's happening looking at the big picture, i may be only 23 but my memory is not that good haha.

As my meter records all tests and boluses because i use the accu chek combo pump, i never write as i go along, i write it all down at night then take a few minutes to look through to spot any patterns.

I've thought about using a computer as you can get a lead for the combo to upload all your results but using a diary works well enough for me.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You must write them down. Get them into spreadsheet so you can check for trends. I calculate averages for total, fasting, before food, after food and night. You can then watch your progress month on month and correct quickly it if it's heading upwards. Personally, I think this is the only way to stay on top of it. I keep them in my meter and transfer them to the computer every night or two.

Smidge

lauren_gee_x

Accucheck usually charge for the device for linking up to the computer think its about £29. I looked at it before I got my new machine its the Insulinx it comes with a usb cable and can download bs and also carb contents and insulin units as well :d xx

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please write down your test results in some way. I record mine so that I can see which foods affect my BS.
I record them so that I can use them as evidence the next time I ask for a meter and test strips on prescription. I am not a numpty and I moderate my intake depending on my regular BS readings but it's getting the GP and DN to take this on board.

Herbie72

Thanks everyone for comments. I guess I've just become lazy over the years, as I used to write them down. You're right about spotting trends, I think that's the most important thing, really. Have got clinic appt in a fortnight, so will try and start scribbling them down from tomorrow.

Ebony 321, you're on the same pump as me, what diary (ie book) do you use? Because I don't recall the pump coming with one... Thanks.

AMBrennan

Your meter manufacturer might supply them free of charge (e.g. Abbot does if you register your meter). I got a Sanofi booklet from my DSN when I was diagnosed but I don't know how one would go about obtaining those.

Wendywu

Dislikes
Track running. Drunks. Bigots and intolerance in any form. Bullying.
Revontuli said:
Is anyone using FreeStyle Freedom of Abbott? They have a PC programme too but I'm not sure if they send the connection cable for free or you have to pay for it.

Yes, and the program is a free download, and they sent me the cable free too. Very, very quickly. I just phoned up and asked for one it was with me two days later.

I use the program and it is very good indeed. I can download the results to my pc's memory as pdf's if I want, which is a handy feature, or I can print direct from the program.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never write down my results either, although I'm testing all the time... my Dr always gently advises me that it might be a good idea so that we can look at the patterns of where my bloods are at what time, but he says it's not the most essential thing, just adviseable.

Isabel73

I used to write my son's test results down religiously, but now find myself copying down the last six weeks' worth before each hospital visit.... :?