1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Doctor Now Say I Was Misdiagnosed

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by faizal, Feb 14, 2012.

1. xyzzy

xyzzy Other · Well-Known Member

faizal thanks for the post the other day. I know about some of the supplements and others I'm reading up on.

Hope you get yourself sorted soon. It must be stressful for you not knowing one way or the other.

I'm not an expert on all the data you posted so will make no comment. The only advice I would offer is if the diet you went on was low carbohydrate say sub 80g / day that may well account for the massive drop in HbA1c. Other people on this forum have reported those kind of drops at 3 months if they low carbed so it depends on how many grams of carbs you ate / day.

I would try taking control of things by getting a simple BG meter and test strips and actually start measuring BG's before and at +2 hours after eating a normal carbohydrate meal for a while and see if you end up in a safe range. That would at least tell you something isn't right but whether you are Type 1 / 1.5 or 2 would still be up for grabs.

Might be a to simplistic approach and like I say I'm no expert on the real deep numbers so could be stupidly wrong but others will undoubtedly correct me if I am.

2. faizal

faizal · Member

Yup I am gonna get a glucose meter & do my own 0, 1 & 2 hours graph with 'normal' diet to test it out. The diet I am taking past 3 months is half raw + half steamed vege, beans, beancurd, salmon, chicken & eggs.

My lab sent me my HOMA figures last night(very helpful guy, just that he cannot help me draw any conclusions)...

%B = 70.5, %S = 145.7, IR = 0.7

He said IR = Insulin Resistance, 1 is normal for healthy person age 35, below 1 means very health pancreas no insulin resistance and %B is Beta Cell activities, 100% is normal, 70.5% is below normal, ie, pancreas not being stressed, so all indications are normal non-diabetic BUT he also stressed HOMA is not a widely accepted calculator.

Thanks for all the responses, buying the SD Codefree meter from ebay.

3. viviennem

viviennem Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think in your place, Faisal, the way I would look at it is this:

a sudden change of diet, including lots of white rice and fruit juice (full of sugar!) gave you diabetic level readings and you were diagnosed as diabetic.

Cutting back on your carbohydrates etc (I can't comment on the supplements) brought you back to non-diabetic levels pretty quickly - good for you! I too got back to non-diabetic levels pretty quickly after diagnosis, but I am definitely Type 2 - just well controlled.

You've had a warning. You have the potential to become a diabetic, even if you are not quite there yet. Pay attention to it. From now on try to stick to a carbohydrate controlled, diabetic-friendly diet and you may never actually get the full-blown thing. It doesn't mean that you can never have a treat, or drink fruit juice - but make it occasionally.

Get yourself a blood glucose testing meter, and every now and again test yourself to make sure your levels aren't going up again. And enjoy your l ife! :D

Viv 8)

4. faizal

faizal · Member

Hi viviennem,

Thanks for your encouraging words.

No worries... definitely will not be pigging out on carbo & junkfood ever again... I discover I lost my carbo craving 1-2 weeks into the new diet, everything tasted too sweet I can't go back to the old way of eating even if I wanted to... which is a good thing :)

I'll be getting the glucose meter, cheers.

5. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

One thing of interest.
    I have never been offered many of the tests reported here, including insulin levels and insulin resistance and beta cell activity.
    Has anyone else?

Some of the results might help to explain how DM is manifesting itself.

Cheers

LGC

6. faizal

faizal · Member

Hi LGC,

I wasn't offered these tests either... the doctor ordered HBAC1 & FG & immediately wanted me to go on medication, didn't even want to listen to the detox process I did the month prior...

It was my lab client who educated me on all the various tests available that went deeper than just diabetes/no diabetes...

7. Sanober

Sanober · Well-Known Member

Hi there, I had a fasting C-pep done last year

Hopefully you can click the link below where i ranted about my result.

viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=2&t=25930

The reason I mention it is because I become progressively ill in the months after the C pep test and it was the positive anti -GAD test helped to conclude i have a slow onset type 1. I was initially classed T2 but i didn't fit the typical criteria. It took a year to be diagnosed correctly.

I don't know if someone can have a bit of Diabetes for a short time. I always thought once there's a sign of glucose intolerance it's a progressive condition.

Albeit your low carb certainly helping keep the A1c down but

I just wonder how your post meal glucose looks if you ate a sliced bread for example.

8. faizal

faizal · Member

My glucose meter will arrive soon, we'll see.

But my OGTT, done with 100gm glucose, came in normal and the insulin levels didn't indicate insulin resistance or glucose intolerance according to the lab because

- FG glucose & Fasting insulin is 1:1, ie, 'normal'

- I don't have Hi C-Peptide Hi Insulin, Lo C-peptide Hi Insulin or Lo C-peptide Lo Insulin, the 3 reference ranges, I have normal c-peptide & normal insulin

- 1 HR OGTT insulin is 3X fasting insulin (from 5.23 to 15), insulin resistance ratio 5X and above or a lot more than 5X according to him

- 2 HR OGTT FG is well within normal range (6.3)

- C-peptide is within range from day I started monthly blood test, in the middle of the lab range (3 months in a row, I ordered c-peptite, insulin, glucose, hbac1)

Both the doctor & the lab told me to stop the tests and come back in a year but I bought my own glucose meter just in case... and now that you mention it, I am going to get an anti-GAD done as well :)

ps: Out of topic a bit... but read your rant and wondering why it was so difficult to get your actual readings from your medical professionals...?

9. faizal

faizal · Member

Glucose meter arrived today. Fasting 4.4, 1 Hr 6.4, 2 Hr 6.0

Vegetarian meal with 1 guava for dessert.

10. xyzzy

xyzzy Other · Well-Known Member

Looks like your doctor might have been right!

I'd do some more tests maybe up your starchy carbs to quite a moderate level for a few days and see how spikey you are and if your fasting average begins to rise significantly.

Good luck.

11. sugar2

sugar2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Faizal,

My opinion (based on reading teh forum) is that you were diagnosed correctly, howvere, you are treating your condition fantasically well, so much so, it appears that you are not diabetic.

Go back to teh previous diet???Depends on if you are good at diets and could bare to go back to teh diet that is working for you if your BG levels increased. I know I would be better off staying with what I know.

Not a Dr, just my opinion

12. Sanober

Sanober · Well-Known Member

I have no idea why they have problems finding certain results <sigh>

I also asked for my anti-GAD tests and the results range and the consultant shuffled around some papers and said he couldn't find it....really annoying! All they said was I was showing anti-bodies and therefore they feel I have type 1 or rather a slow version as my highest A1C got to 8.6 before my diagnosis, although I am highly symptomatic when my sugars hit over 10

Glad you got your meter, I got one when I joined this forum and it really helped me.

Have you tested after eating some bread or crisps or a couple of biscuits though? I know you don't want to because you're doing so well but your A1C was over 13 once.

Good luck with your journey :thumbup:

13. faizal

faizal · Member

Yup got my meter, SD Codefree from ebay, driving me crazy like someone said on another thread...

This morning fasting glucose pricked 3 times out of curiosity, got 4.6, 5.3, 4.9... so much difference from the same meter at the same time :cry:

14. Pneu

Pneu · Well-Known Member

I really shouldn't worry... variance by up to 1.0 mmol/l is quite normal and expected.. even in the same sample of blood.. if you took the readings from different places then there can be even more variance.. distribution of glucose around the body is not always even. Take the readings as an indicator that your fasting level is around 5.0 mmol/l which is good.

15. faizal

faizal · Member

Ok... took couple of biscuits, a banana, 2 pieces chocolate together with my usual salad this morning...

1 hr: 6.8
    2 hr: 6
    3 hr: 5.5

Then super starchy dinner: Nasi Lemak(rice soaked in coconut cream then steamed) + 1 & a half glass iced coffee with condensed milk + 2 pieces kaya butter toast(kaya = coconut jam)

1 hr: 8.3
    2 hr: 6.9
    3 hr: 6.9

This is just for test, NOT going to eat like this again :shock:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook