Doctor says 2hours after eating 9.6 normal

smudgee

I had a doctors appointment yesterday to ask for some blood tests as it has been over a year since my last test, we were talking and he asked me what sort of results had I been getting on my meter readings, when I told him 9.6mm two hours after food he replied that this is a perfectly normal reading and went on to say that my fasting readings of 5.9 and 6.2 were also normal readings.
I went to see him as I have a numb patch on my heel and worried it might be connected with the diabetes. He checked my toes and said absolutely not related as any foot problems connected with diabetes always starts at the toes.
He was very nice and I want to believe him but I am not sure I agree with my readings being normal so should I trust him with regards to my feet?

Lady P

Mine and my daughters are usually 9s or 10s, docs arent much worried about that either, we both have mody 2, (our blood sugar levels are a bit higher than normal, thats just how our body thermostat works! ! Well thats wot they say! Deffo check again and go back, if worried about feet, see a chiropodist, they are More knowledgable! :))

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ask for an ppointment with the dibetic foot screening people saying you think you have problems and they should give you one, best to get it checked by the people who know what to look for. Sorry I just don't trust some doctors one bit, especially when they are happy with one having BS in the 20's that I was reporting :(

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you are worried about your feet, you can make an appointment with your local podiatry service. Diabetics can self refer. A bg of over 9 is NOT normal!
You'd never find a level like that in a non-diabetic. I've allowed people to play with a blood glucose meter, when I've taken one to meetings. The highest I've ever seen in a non-diabetic was 8.? and she was a member of a high risk group.. Non-diabetics stay around 5 pretty much all the time.I've seen 6s after a pasta bake lunch. To me those are the only sensible targets.
Hana
PS I hit those targets MOST of the time. HbA1cs in the 5s consistently for the last several years. I'm slowly recovering from a nasty virus and got a 7.4 last week. I set myself non-diabetic blood sugars as my targets.

desidiabulum

smudgee said:
I had a doctors appointment yesterday to ask for some blood tests as it has been over a year since my last test, we were talking and he asked me what sort of results had I been getting on my meter readings, when I told him 9.6mm two hours after food he replied that this is a perfectly normal reading and went on to say that my fasting readings of 5.9 and 6.2 were also normal readings.
I went to see him as I have a numb patch on my heel and worried it might be connected with the diabetes. He checked my toes and said absolutely not related as any foot problems connected with diabetes always starts at the toes.
He was very nice and I want to believe him but I am not sure I agree with my readings being normal so should I trust him with regards to my feet?

Hi Smudgee,
I also had a numb patch on my heel for several years, and again diabetes clinic was not interested as it wasn't peripheral. When they finally thought to check my B12 levels they were very low, as was my nerve conduction, and the assumption now is that my numbness was caused by B12 deficiency. It's definitely worth getting this checked out, as B12 deficiency can lead to other nerve tissue damage etc. Good luck!

smudgee

Many thanks for your answers.

desidiabulum thank you so much for mentioning the B12 I have just checked the symptoms and it is a possibility, I have had terrible hair loss over the last couple of years and struggle with anemia so it is definately something I am going to ask to have tests for. Did you get the feeling back in your feet?

roslynfarm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interested tor read 9.6mm BSL two hours after eating considered normal by doctor. I thought 8.0 was normal.. Mine was too high at 9.6 today...Can anybody give me a good guide on amount of grams in everyday carbs like bread?