Dodgy insulin pens

Marfmama

I use novo rapid and levemir insulin pens, I have had problems with several pens now an just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, when I turn the end to the correct dosage and then go to press it down it gets stuck an won't be pushed down. It's normal for this to happen when the insulin has run out but iv had this happen with pens that are at least half full, some barely used. Naturally this meant I ran out of insulin earlier than expected and when I went to the pharmacist I was treated like some criminal who was trying to cheat the system or something! So just wondered if others have this problem or maybe im doing something wrong?!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I use the Novopen4 and the latest NovoPen Echo with no problem. Are you using these with Penfill cartridges or some other combination?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Unusual for several pens to malfunction, perhaps you should take this issue up with the manufacturers Marfmama!

stuartclose

I recently posted about Solostar Insuman Comb25m pre-filled pens , I had 3 in one batch that malfunctioned (lever would not press down to release this the dose), Ireported this to Sanofi (pen makers) and my chemist, neither of them had heard of this complai.
before.

no further action taken, except a phone call from Sanofi querying my complaint.

pauline

iHs

From a personal point of view, I think the pens that take cartridges are far better in reliability than the plastic pre filled pens.

I'm not surprised that the Flexpens malfunction or the Solostar. Of course some insulin mixes only come in pre filled pens.... such is the modern world that we live in today - cheap and disposable.

I would see GP and get prescription changed to glass 3ml cartridges if at all possible and get pens that also deliver in 0.5u increments.

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
I have had on very rare occaisions a disposable pen fail to inject. Usually if I cant actually press the plunger its been a problem with the needle so I change needles see if I can do an air shot ok and then inject. The combination of switching out the needle and repositioning the injection site usually cures the problem.
I have only had one actual disposable flexpen fail since I`ve been using them for far longer than I can remember at least 10yrs +.
It was a visible failure and happened recently so I managed to take a photo. It still injected but overdosed and I had a lot of insulin drip out of the pen when I removed it. There was a very strong smell of insulin too. Hypo`d too after it but I knew I was at risk and so was prepared.
Hopefully you can see the photo and how the plunger mech has failed and twisted. It felt normal and no unusual resistance either.
medium.jpg

Glen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, DIY, winter,
I'll ask my cousin. She works in the complaints department of Novo Nordisk. I've never had a problem with any of my Novopens.

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
I was given flex pens instead of cartridge pen fills on one of my repeat prescriptions. I found them very wobbly and light to use and asked to be put back on my cartridge pens. I'm Type 1 on Novorapid and Levemir.

Gizmo123

I've experienced this in the past and found the fault to be with the needle tip rather than the pen itself. Have you tried changing the needle tip? Does the pen plunger go down without an insulin cartridge in it? As it could be the cartridge.

Visitor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
well they changed me to these novomix flexpen as my levels still not coming down, im having a lot of problems with these pens, juddering while injecting, and grinding to a halt with a jam. second pen in use now and these are jamming too. ive written to the company, got a reply asking for my address, still waiting for another reply.

didnt have any problems with the last pens and i used a lot of them, so dont know if these are faulty batch or what

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know exactly what you are talking about, I posted about the same issue before! It only happens with my levemir pens though. I've tried changing the needle but end up dumping jt

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I know exactly what you are talking about, I posted about the same issue before! It only happens with my levemir pens though. I've tried changing the needle but end up dumping jt
I've had problems with M3 cartridges for my Savio pen. If I accidentally drop the pen they usually won't plunge when you try to. I now just discard them and try a new one. As for pre filled pens I have only had 2 that were problematic and had the same batch numbers and my pharmacist replaced them. :)

Geoff-O

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a blind 32G 4mm pen needle a couple of times...

stevetur

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
gameboys,xboxes etc, and the poor sods who use facebook etc instead of having a real life.
Hi, I have also had this problem with novopen 4's, my first ones lasted for 4 years without problems, I only replaced them because the numbering faded to a point where it was unreadable, the replcements are juddering and jamming, and i will be replacing them as soon as my doctor will prescribe me some new ones, at the moment I have gone back to my originals, and count the clicks to make sure the dose is correct. I have also had problems with insulatard cartridges splitting during use, which means you do not have any idea as to how much has been injected!!!!. I too have had novo branded needles that have been substandard, on closer inspection they had the needles in backwards, with the blunt end facing the skin, and some with the tip bent into a barb, OUCH!!!,
I sent these back to Novo, and recieved a letter which more or less said that I was lying, and tring to make a false claim against them.
I now use Glucotrend needles, with no problems.
It seems that Novo Nordisk have gone downhill in the past couple of years, and will be asking my doctor to change my prescriptions to another manufacturer

SteveT

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have also had this problem with novopen 4's, my first ones lasted for 4 years without problems, I only replaced them because the numbering faded to a point where it was unreadable, the replcements are juddering and jamming, and i will be replacing them as soon as my doctor will prescribe me some new ones, at the moment I have gone back to my originals, and count the clicks to make sure the dose is correct. I have also had problems with insulatard cartridges splitting during use, which means you do not have any idea as to how much has been injected!!!!. I too have had novo branded needles that have been substandard, on closer inspection they had the needles in backwards, with the blunt end facing the skin, and some with the tip bent into a barb, OUCH!!!,
I sent these back to Novo, and recieved a letter which more or less said that I was lying, and tring to make a false claim against them.
I now use Glucotrend needles, with no problems.
It seems that Novo Nordisk have gone downhill in the past couple of years, and will be asking my doctor to change my prescriptions to another manufacturer

SteveT

Hi Steve,

Over twenty years ago I was on insulatard & found the bung in the cartridge use to regularly jam the ram in the pen & sometimes even crack? (Usually about 2/3rds or halfway down the cartridge?) I put it down to the possibility of the suspension fluid drying between the edge of the bung & the glass,causing friction or even sticking/gluing it up..

With regards to the needles fro the pen.? They should in essence be pointed both ends so one end penitrates the rubbery membrane on the cartridge & the other (buisiness end.) for the skin...

stevetur

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
gameboys,xboxes etc, and the poor sods who use facebook etc instead of having a real life.
Hi Steve,

Over twenty years ago I was on insulatard & found the bung in the cartridge use to regularly jam the ram in the pen & sometimes even crack? (Usually about 2/3rds or halfway down the cartridge?) I put it down to the possibility of the suspension fluid drying between the edge of the bung & the glass,causing friction or even sticking/gluing it up..

With regards to the needles fro the pen.? They should in essence be pointed both ends so one end penitrates the rubbery membrane on the cartridge & the other (buisiness end.) for the skin...

Hi, the needles I had problems with definately had a point on one end only, I did hear from my chemist, that there were some chinese made fakes around at the time, Novo denied this though.
The cartridge failures I have been experiencing, seem to be the seal between the green screwtip, and the glass tube failing, pumping insulin out the side of the pen all over the injection site.

SteveT

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, the needles I had problems with definately had a point on one end only, I did hear from my chemist, that there were some chinese made fakes around at the time, Novo denied this though.
The cartridge failures I have been experiencing, seem to be the seal between the green screwtip, and the glass tube failing, pumping insulin out the side of the pen all over the injection site.

SteveT

Ah, I'm with you now.. That is a worry on the dosage front.

I have to admit, recently a couple of the BD micro fine 4mm jobbies have on fitting to the pen failed inspection for being longer than the stated 4millimeters..? A closer look reveals that the plastic holding the needle in place, basically doesn't. Thus pushing them out when screwing down onto the cartridge. The rubber membrane resistance pushing the needle the other way...

Bring back the days of glass syringes! Lol

Imran Farooq

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use novo rapid and levemir insulin pens, I have had problems with several pens now an just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, when I turn the end to the correct dosage and then go to press it down it gets stuck an won't be pushed down. It's normal for this to happen when the insulin has run out but iv had this happen with pens that are at least half full, some barely used. Naturally this meant I ran out of insulin earlier than expected and when I went to the pharmacist I was treated like some criminal who was trying to cheat the system or something! So just wondered if others have this problem or maybe im doing something wrong?!

Hi I use the very same Nova pens. I have the same problems at times.
When you inject your insulin, sometimes it forms a thick tissue underneath the skin. Once you insert the needle, and then try pushing the top end, it becomes very difficult and hard. It's like a force pushing back. This is because you've injected into the hard tissue. There is no place for the liquid to go to. If you remove the insulin pen at that moment and inject it in another area, you'll find it becomes easy to push the end of the pen again.

I have stop these problems from occurring by thoroughly messaging the area before and after the injection with my thumbs.