Does anyone agree?

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm an 18year old who has had diabetes for 7years now and still to this day I get people that haven't got or ever dealt with anyone with diabetes telling me what i can and cant do and what i can and cant eat..It really grinds on me. I feel like turning round and telling them to get stuffed, luckily for them I'm too nice.

Does anyone else have this? Like a family member or Colleague at work tell them that they shouldn't have that little bit of chocolate or that one custard cream?!

Please tell me I'm not the only one?..

Reactions: 4 people

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All of my mates do exactly the same!
Although, before I was diagnosed I didn't know a single thing about diabetes and would probably end up being in the same boat.

Reactions: 2 people

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always get 'oh can you eat that' or 'oh your bs are in such bad shape' I'm like yo do 1! -.-

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Politely say "no" .... and if they persist, repeat the message. Third time, tell them what YOU really think. Ignorance is one thing. Intrusion is another.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I have the opposite problem they want me to eat what they have and share their insane diets, its sometimes a struggle to say no cos those cakes look so nice but i just cant even look at them for fear of my hand grabbing a slice all by itself, and stuffing it in my mouth without my permission, i'd love to be around people who cared (in a freaky annoying controlling way) about what i ate, they only mean well. hi carb bad low carb good. The niceness wears off eventually and you'll be telling them to go fffffff.....or a walk!

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's nice sometimes to have people that care and worry but other times when you have a F**K diabetes day (we all have them) they're so naggy and annoying!x

Reactions: 6 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
It's nice sometimes to have people that care and worry but other times when you have a F**K diabetes day (we all have them) they're so naggy and annoying!x
If anyone say's to me can you eat that? I just look around perplexed and say are you talking to me, then look in horror at the food and say why what's the matter with it, is it contaminated? :D
I have coeliac disease as well and the most annoying thing about that is when someone says of don't be daft a little bit of bread wont hurt you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people
C

catherinecherub

I'm an 18year old who has had diabetes for 7years now and still to this day I get people that haven't got or ever dealt with anyone with diabetes telling me what i can and cant do and what i can and cant eat..It really grinds on me. I feel like turning round and telling them to get stuffed, luckily for them I'm too nice.

Does anyone else have this? Like a family member or Colleague at work tell them that they shouldn't have that little bit of chocolate or that one custard cream?!

Watch this video @keishamarie and you will see that you are not alone.

The Diabetes Police.

http://www.diabeticconnect.com/diab...-my-life-as-a-pin-cushion-the-diabetes-police

HeatherJoy_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even after 7 years my best friend still cant get her head around the fact that if i go low i have to eat something sugary not take insulin no matter how many times i explain! Coming to uni and meeting people for the 1st time and having to explain it over and over again was such a chore! But when it comes down to it, they're only trying to understand and look out for us :)

Reactions: 3 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always get told I can't eat stuff because I'm diabetic. And when people used to bring in food for everyone I never got any because I was diabetic and apparently couldn't have it. I've given up trying to explain I can have any foods because no one seems to remember.

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always get told I can't eat stuff because I'm diabetic. And when people used to bring in food for everyone I never got any because I was diabetic and apparently couldn't have it. I've given up trying to explain I can have any foods because no one seems to remember.

I get that! Oh I didn't buy you one because you're diabetic..AND?!

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some of the memes you find on google sum it up perfectly haha
78aNoBq.png

Reactions: 19 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

They do have a point, don't they? But then custard creams aren't exactly healthy regardless so you could tell them they shouldn't have it either.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been asked if I would explode if I ate a cake but all in good humour.

Seriously though, before I was diagnosed I only thought that diabetics could not have anything sweet and that everything else was fine.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No you not the only one Keishamarie.

On a lighter note watch the following which highlights some of the frustrations of living life with type 1 diabetes:

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I found it so over the top tbh and SO annoying :stop: Type 1 can be hard, but this .........................:rolleyes: :arghh: