Does anyone else have a teenager with Diabetes type 1, allergies, asthma, eczema and depression?

Meep

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really struggling with the teenage hormones, plus all of the above. My son feels that nothing in his life is in his control and although he is working hard at school, he seems constantly thwarted by either high/low blood sugars, allergic rhinitis or environmental asthma attacks. He is also extremely allergic to all wheat, dairy and egg products. He doesn't believe there is anyone else with the same conditions - can anyone prove him wrong?

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Really struggling with the teenage hormones, plus all of the above. My son feels that nothing in his life is in his control and although he is working hard at school, he seems constantly thwarted by either high/low blood sugars, allergic rhinitis or environmental asthma attacks. He is also extremely allergic to all wheat, dairy and egg products. He doesn't believe there is anyone else with the same conditions - can anyone prove him wrong?

Hi Meep,
Sorry to hear your son is going through so much at what is already a difficult time in his life with all of the hormones flying around and pressure of school.
My eldest daughter has wheat, gluten and dairy allergies with IBS. I know its not the same and by no where as bad as your son's list of complaints but I just wanted to reassure you that they do get through what ever is thrown at them and work on their own solutions. I have a very stubborn daughter in that every time I tried or thought I was helping I was actually making things worse by interfering. She wanted to deal with it in her own way, a way that meant she was in control of it all and not me. She had to work it out for herself. I could only support her in the way she wanted to deal with it which was so hard for as apparent we just want to protect them and take away their problems for them but when their teenages we cant do that all we can do is to support them and help if and when we are asked. It is so hard to stand back and watch but some times its what we need to do.
I'm not sure your find anyone with such a big list of problems, but you will find some with individual elements of them who may be able to help with their bits that you can relate their suggestions to your son as a guide.
It may also be worth posting on the teenage section of the forum for responces as you may have more response their.
Try asking your son how he wants to deal with things.
Good luck
Maggie

Meep

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Meep,
Sorry to hear your son is going through so much at what is already a difficult time in his life with all of the hormones flying around and pressure of school.
My eldest daughter has wheat, gluten and dairy allergies with IBS. I know its not the same and by no where as bad as your son's list of complaints but I just wanted to reassure you that they do get through what ever is thrown at them and work on their own solutions. I have a very stubborn daughter in that every time I tried or thought I was helping I was actually making things worse by interfering. She wanted to deal with it in her own way, a way that meant she was in control of it all and not me. She had to work it out for herself. I could only support her in the way she wanted to deal with it which was so hard for as apparent we just want to protect them and take away their problems for them but when their teenages we cant do that all we can do is to support them and help if and when we are asked. It is so hard to stand back and watch but some times its what we need to do.
I'm not sure your find anyone with such a big list of problems, but you will find some with individual elements of them who may be able to help with their bits that you can relate their suggestions to your son as a guide.
It may also be worth posting on the teenage section of the forum for responces as you may have more response their.
Try asking your son how he wants to deal with things.
Good luck
Maggie
Hi
Thanks for replying, it does sometimes feel like we're the only ones struggling. We have tried passing responsibility to him, but there are so many things for him to remember - testing, dosing, taking medicines, as well as all his work for his GCSEs, he does need our support every day. His coping strategy at the moment is to try to get the grades he is predicted and not to let his medical conditions stop him, but this is putting him under a lot of stress. We would be happy with 5 C grades, but he would not!