does anyone take metformin and rivaroxaban/blood thinner

tigerfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My husband takes 2 metformin day.6 week ish ago he was put on rivaroxaban as a blood thinner,Since then his diabetic reading has risen to 16.4 even though he has increased metformin.Has anyone had this problem

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It appears that rivaroxaban can cause raised blood sugar levels but it is very uncommon. (0.1% to 1%)

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/rivaroxaban-side-effects.html

Increasing Metformin won't have had any effect at all. It doesn't work that way. It won't have either increased his levels or prevent an increase. It helps with insulin resistance and helps reduce the amount of glucose the liver produces naturally, but only to a limited extent. It doesn't help at all with post meal spikes. It is mainly an appetite suppressant.

Which reading was 16.4? Was this a fasting level or a post meal level? What did it used to be before the rivaroxaban?

Does he test his own blood sugars before and after eating, and what type of foods does he eat?

D

Deleted member 308541

@tigerfan I am on two Metformin 500mg tablets daily, and I also take one Rivaroxaban (Xarelto) 20mg tablet and my readings have never been above the odd spike to <10.00 mmol/L.

The spikes were from something I ate rather than the combo of Xarelto and Metformin.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited by a moderator: