1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Does burning the toast reduce the carb content?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Oldvatr, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

I wonder if this would work with biscuits? Softly softly catchee monkey. Softly softy soggy biccy? Not suitable for chocolate digestives, I suspect.

Seriously, many frozen foods warn not to refreeze after thawing, or reheating, so there is probably a known hazard to avoid. I am happy to remain turning the toast over again a couple of times in one session. Seems to be less faff and bother at the worst time of the day for conscious thought.

2. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

One possible reason for warning against refreezing after thawing is it could turn the contents into a pile of Softly softly catchee monkey. Softly softy soggy whatever it once was.

3. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Has this thread turned into a Monty Python sketch?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

No more than the Presidential Elections in USA. They are both important matters underpinned by science. Sometimes we only see it when we look in the mirror. That is what satire is all about. A spoonful of sugar etc.

5. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Is that the one where you just add water? Only available from offshore retailers on Pluto?

6. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no-ones invented Canderel coated pork scratchings yet :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

From what I've gleaned. (Though not concrete.) it's nominal with the carb content (if at all?) toasting also has been mentioned (or alleged.) changes the fat content??? ("Good for diabetics" on the fat reduction in bread front, I read on one site.)
    Yeah, I know. Who don't like butter dripping off toast..
    With regards to the "GI?" Maybe worth seeing what happens spike or plateau wise (or not.) in the third to 4th hour after consumption?

8. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

OK Last night I had a whole boil-in-the bag kipper fillets on toast (2 slices). The toast was not as deeply incinerated as my normal morning fare. My Pre / 2Hr / 4 Hr readings were
    5 /7.1 / 4.5 Will try to repeat soon using bread untreated (2 slices) to compare and report back again but I need to score some more kippers.

9. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Kippers. Breakfast of the gods. :)

Make it best (or worst) of 3 on the experiment.?
    I can't help you with the Kippers I'm afraid, but I do have the "hard stuff" in the fridge.

Mackerel. ;)

10. Tophat1900

Now we are talking!!!

Getting down to the nitty gritty of n=1 science and the possibility of enraging a relative. I can hardly sleep, just waiting on the outcome. :wideyed:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

If n=1 trials done in the kitchen are acceptable to the MoS and NICE then it should be good enough for us. In this case the test subject is a certified fully paid up member of the diabetic community (T2). The trial report will be peer reviewed by this Forum. I declare I have a financial interest in this study (I am self funding on one of my test meters and I am providing the test samples.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Tophat1900

All the protocols appear to be in place.

You could add your daughters results as non-T2 diabetic vs T2 diabetic outcome. Although this could be difficult in view of her lack of willingness to put up with the already mentioned scenarios that unfold every time you select the Chernobyl meltdown setting on the toaster.

13. type two paul

type two paul Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As an aside, after almost burning the house down, I would always never leave a toaster unattended when on. I did once and one of the toasts stuck on ejection and the element remained on and toast set fire. The smoke alarm saved the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

ewwwwwww - gross !!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

So is cleaning the crumb tray. We just evicted a family of mouses from our kitchen (humane traps work very well) and our cat can relax and get some sleep now, Carnage avoided. Excess protein problem in the pantry dealt with.

16. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Oh, don't give them ideas....:wideyed:

17. Catman507

Catman507 Type 1 · Member

Hello, I am a type one however I do try to keep my carbs relatively low. I don't do keto, just low carb. Have you tried the Hi-lo bread in Sainsburys by any chance? It's 5.0g per slice, its not carb free of course however could potentially be much lower than regular bread. Its high in protein too. From my experience it toasts really well. It may be a good idea for you to try out.

18. Tophat1900

I think bananas contain more resistance starch when still a bit green, so less effect on glucose levels, but I could be wrong. And of course, not all fruits are the same. Just as not everyone likes their toast toasted to the same degree.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have read with interest and am tempted to join in the experiment.but I have my breakfast toast with cheese and marmite and it makes an awful mess in a toaster perhaps I should try grilling it ?
    Carol

20. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

We used to be able to get special plastic bags that survived the toaster and allowed toasted cheese sandwiches. Google "toasted sandwich bags" for current suppliers - still available apparently.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook